"Just because we only made two or three shots, it doesn't really mean much to me."

SheagleHawk

This from your 3rd year starting point guard. Guards go 3-21 and Mike Gesell doesn't think it's a problem. This team will be so much better when he is not running the point. No offensive game, mediocre defender, mediocre distributor, extremely poor leader.

Re: "Just because we only made two or three shots, it doesn't really mean much to me.

Wow. Are you even watching the games?

Relax. It is only one loss. On to the NCAA

Re: "Just because we only made two or three shots, it doesn't really mean much to me.

Well to be fair, White and Gesell said that Penn State's defense was most of the problem for poor shooting because, "They were really getting into us. They play hard every game."

And to be fair, in the NCAAs there are going to be at least:

40 teams with more talent than Penn State,

30 teams that play better defense than Penn State, and

67 teams that play just as hard as Penn State.

Shooting was bad, but it was perplexing how out of position Iowa's defense was in the 2nd half. How many times we had 2 defenders (usually White and Gesell) covering 1 guy leaving someone open on the baseline corner (which resulted in some open 3s and made baseline drives easier to the basket). I think that was a huge factor in Iowa losing this game. Perhaps Iowa gambled a little to much on defense in the 2nd half and needed to play more straight up and identify who has who in man defense.

You think Iowa is going to get a layup like Penn State? You find this encouraging that this team came out flat and couldn't put away a bottom feeder? Or how about the guard court returning to it's abysmal play we saw 75% of the year? I'd like to not see Iowa embarrassed again.

I don't think he means it the way you are taking it. I think he's saying no matter how many they shots were made they still were up and still had a chance to win.

I don't think he means it the way you are taking it. I think he's saying no matter how many they shots were made they still were up and still had a chance to win.

Even if he didn't I still find it really alarming that he didn't immediately follow it up with something like "we have to do better than that" or "we have to do our part and contribute more." I mean those are God awful numbers that were preceeded by another horrible 2-17 vs NW. And truthfully the guard play has been the reason for this team's struggles all year.

Even if he didn't I still find it really alarming that he didn't immediately follow it up with something like "we have to do better than that" or "we have to do our part and contribute more." I mean those are God awful numbers that were preceeded by another horrible 2-17 vs NW. And truthfully the guard play has been the reason for this team's struggles all year.

Players not named Uthoff or White were a combined five for thirty.

Gesell is a good player, but every once in a while he plays faster than he's capable of playing. That's when he gets into trouble.

You think Iowa is going to get a layup like Penn State? You find this encouraging that this team came out flat and couldn't put away a bottom feeder? Or how about the guard court returning to it's abysmal play we saw 75% of the year? I'd like to not see Iowa embarrassed again.

Hey! We're not going to play a top team like Maryland or North Carolina and we beat those teams! We got this easily!

Predicting a future sporting event because of one game is one of the dumbest things people who follow sports do.

Hey! We're not going to play a top team like Maryland or North Carolina and we beat those teams! We got this easily!

Predicting a future sporting event because of one game is one of the dumbest things people who follow sports do.

Especially when we just beat that team a couple weeks ago.

Gesell is a good player, but every once in a while he plays faster than he's capable of playing. That's when he gets into trouble.

His complete lacking of scoring holds him back from being anything more than an average at best B10 pg. Based on his high school hype and the way he played his freshman year, I expected him to be a 12-15 ppg guy by this point in his career, and I think the coaching staff did too.

His complete lacking of scoring holds him back from being anything more than an average at best B10 pg. Based on his high school hype and the way he played his freshman year, I expected him to be a 12-15 ppg guy by this point in his career, and I think the coaching staff did too.
Iowa only needs guard play to be average offensively to have a good chance of winning. Yesterday that was atrocious.

Gessell is a decent passer but he only seems to make mid range shots that teams give to him (often because mid range shots just aren't that great of shots) He doesn't make threes and he's not the best at getting easy layups. We're going to need him to step up a lot next year.

Doesn't matter how well we shoot, if we give up 48 points in a half we will lose 99% of the time.

It wasn't how I would have answered it if It was me. That's for sure. Our guards are a huge disadvantage... Why all teams don't play zone against us and sag inside off of MG I'll never know... He hasn't even been hitting 17 footers... He's gotten better at making layups anyway!!!!!

Your definition of good must be polar opposite of mine. Please list what he does well, and what other starting pgs you'd take him over in a weak B1G or B12. Can't score or create his own shot. Ok so maybe he has a great assist/TO ratio? Nope, nowhere near top 50. Great facilitator? Nope. Great FT shooter? Nope. I mean...numbers bear out that he is subpar in all the areas that are important for good pg play. I guess you could consider him "good" in comparison to what other options iowa has right now, but that absolutely does not make him good.

Gessell is a decent passer but he only seems to make mid range shots that teams give to him (often because mid range shots just aren't that great of shots) He doesn't make threes and he's not the best at getting easy layups. We're going to need him to step up a lot next year.

Yeah... or hope these freshmen coming in bring a lot scoring to the table. Obviously we need 3pt help but also going to need someone getting to the rim effectively.

Gesell has had SOME really good games this season. He may not be quick enough to finish all the way to the rim consistently, but he needs to at least attempt to and move the defense to ease the passing lanes. Seemed like there was a stretch where was focusing on this but it has seemed to went away.

Onto Clemmons I just don't understand. On his good games he's a consistent defender and good passer, with the ability to put a three down at needed moments. But his bad games he's horrible, like it looks like he's point shedding. He probably had three assist to PSU players, not just turnovers, these were lay ins after the errant pass. He shows great touch on some alley opp passes occasionally, but then on bounce passes around the perimeter it's as if he goes temporally blind. Sometimes opponents have to move out of the way of Clemmons passes just to not steal it.

The 3/21 or whatever is freaking ugly, but the ridiculous turnovers are what get me the most. I'm hoping at least the shooting improves on guards next year.

Wow. College basketball players being inconsistent. Iowa's guard court not an over all strength of the team. Comments to the media after a heart breaking loss to a poor basketball team taken out of context. A team having an absolutely frigid night shooting the ball. I did not know any of this until I read this thread.

Come on guys. Let's not waste time beating up on a 20 year old kid who is doing his level best to win basketball games in the premier conference in the country. I mean no offense...I am furious about this loss, too. But, geez...

This from your 3rd year starting point guard. Guards go 3-21 and Mike Gesell doesn't think it's a problem. This team will be so much better when he is not running the point. No offensive game, mediocre defender, mediocre distributor, extremely poor leader.

You my friend are clueless

Latest posts