Just another 8-4 team?

NCHawker

I don't know I can't tell for sure. sometimes this team looks like it might have the right stuff. Other times I see stuff that i've seen so many times before. Against ISU "somebody needs to make a play" and that was the Senior QB. He made a play several times. I also saw Iowa come out in 21 or 22 against a stacked up front 7 and the results were futile. I see the ball moving around to WR and I see much 3-wide and I think they're going to break out this year. I see the mounting injuries in the DBs and I'm concerned. I'm concerned that the LBs are the weaknesses of this team as well.

WHat do you see? Same stuff that we see every year or something to suggest they're going to break out

I don't know I can't tell for sure. sometimes this team looks like it might have the right stuff. Other times I see stuff that i've seen so many times before. Against ISU "somebody needs to make a play" and that was the Senior QB. He made a play several times. I also saw Iowa come out in 21 or 22 against a stacked up front 7 and the results were futile. I see the ball moving around to WR and I see much 3-wide and I think they're going to break out this year. I see the mounting injuries in the DBs and I'm concerned. I'm concerned that the LBs are the weaknesses of this team as well.

WHat do you see? Same stuff that we see every year or something to suggest they're going to break out
I trust Parker. He will figure it out. He now has two weeks to re-evaluate and get people healthy.

As I've said before, Iowa football is rarely as good or as bad as its record indicates. Luck is a big factor. This year's team just got 1 big lucky break. If we get 2 more, it is probably a double digit win team in large part because of how dismal the West likely is.

As I've said before, Iowa football is rarely as good or as bad as its record indicates. Luck is a big factor. This year's team just got 1 big lucky break. If we get 2 more, it is probably a double digit win team in large part because of how dismal the West likely is.
If the west is dismal, the east, based on yesterday, may be putrid. Bad day for Sparty, the turtles and a lucky escape for Penn State. Michigan was in a battle with a service academy.

If the west is dismal, the east, based on yesterday, may be putrid. Bad day for Sparty, the turtles and a lucky escape for Penn State. Michigan was in a battle with a service academy.
The east below Michigan looks pretty bad. I'm not gonna write Michigan off based on the Army game. Patterson was dinged and every coach definitely sends their teams in with a different set of rules against the service academies. Oklahoma took a scare from Army last year and still made the playoff. The gap between the Big Ten and SEC/Clemson is insane.

Even at this point in the season where the hawks stand at 3-0 and passed a conf test and the trip to Ames I can see 8-4, which would be 5-4 the rest of the way with what should be a win in 2 weeks. But I think 9-3

should be 4-0 in 2 weeks
Mich is a toss up to me
I think the hawks can beat PSU
Purdue doesnt seem that tough but we have to play good or else we make them look tough.
I think the hawks are better than jNW, who got handled by a not stellar Stanford and Minny who did get a good road win at Fresno but really isnt dominant
Probably lose at Wisky I hate to say

Nebby will probably be a toss up at this time

I am going with 9-3 at this point with losses to Mich, Wisky, and at Nebby.

I’d say 8-4 most likely with 9-3 as the ceiling. Just missing out on Indy again. Still a really good year playing a legitimate schedule.

With healthy DB's, we would've looked like a much better team (field position would've helped our O, too). Our regular DB's wouldn't have been confused and blown coverage. Even with them, the D only allowed a FG the rest of the game. Our schedule on the other hand may be the biggest determining factor.

The schedule is just brutal. It feels like a 10-2 team, but I could easily see 8-4. There are a lot more of ISU type games on the schedule . And they will not win them all.

I’m going with 10-2.

I think we clean sweep our remaining home slate and split the 4 roadies.

We win the West if one of our road wins is Wisky. We finish 2nd if we lose to them.

The east below Michigan looks pretty bad. I'm not gonna write Michigan off based on the Army game. Patterson was dinged and every coach definitely sends their teams in with a different set of rules against the service academies. Oklahoma took a scare from Army last year and still made the playoff. The gap between the Big Ten and SEC/Clemson is insane.

The gap between AL, Clem, LSU, GA, OK...and pretty much everyone in the next tier....TX, OSU, ND, etc is pretty large. Its absolutely wide open and a huge step farther down and massive parity from about #9-#40....

As far as I know none of the injuries to our DB's are serious. I'd expect all of them and Alaric to be back for MTSU. Although we probably wouldn't need all of them for that game. Get em' healthy for the conference slate.

There are currently two teams in the entire conference that can be described as resembling complete: Ohio State and Wisconsin. Penn State and Iowa appear to be the next closest, and they both played ugly games against instate rivals. Lots of good defenses, lots of questionable offenses. There are a slew of other teams that will turnout to have developed well from slow starts, or be shown to be pretenders.

We looked like total crap yesterday, but I never put much stock in how we look against ISU. This game is just not a normal game and rarely reflects how the season goes. We're just lucky to get out of Ames with a W!

upload_2019-9-15_16-45-52.jpeg

Before everyone starts crowning Wisconsin, have you checked out their injury report? Beating up on lesser group of 5 teams (no matter how impressive) can often be fools gold. Now if they boat race Sparty in a couple of weeks, I’ll be a believer.

There are currently two teams in the entire conference that can be described as resembling complete: Ohio State and Wisconsin. Penn State and Iowa appear to be the next closest, and they both played ugly games against instate rivals. Lots of good defenses, lots of questionable offenses. There are a slew of other teams that will turnout to have developed well from slow starts, or be shown to be pretenders.

Wisconsin is with Iowa, Michigan and Penn State. Tier 1 is Ohio state and nobody is close in the big ten

The gap between AL, Clem, LSU, GA, OK...and pretty much everyone in the next tier....TX, OSU, ND, etc is pretty large. Its absolutely wide open and a huge step farther down and massive parity from about #9-#40....

Agreed. Once you get past Bama, LSU and Georgia in the SEC, I'm not sure there are that many teams that would totally wax a healthy Iowa squad. Florida's QB is done for the year, and I ain't sure Auburn is that good either. I think A&M would probably beat us handily with Mond at QB, but aside from them, I don't think there is anyone too scary in the SEC.

You are right, but I would probably say the amount of parity from about 10-30 is totally huge. Once you get much past 30, maybe 35, you are starting to get into some of the ACC and even middling PAC 10 teams and those teams really suck. The SEC probably gets a little more love than they should because the top 3 teams are so good, but once you get past #4 in the SEC, it ain't that good.

Teams like Tennessee, South Carolina, Missouri, Vandy, Ol' Miss, Arkansas, etc., aren't any better than the middle of the Big Ten, but maybe their low water mark is a bit above ours as I think even their bad teams would paste Illinois or Rutgers, but that ain't saying much. At least the Big Ten fixed that by dictating 9 conference games rather than letting everyone play UT-Chattanooga right before rivalry week. I think the grind in the Big Ten is worse than the SEC and that is how OSU has managed to get totally waxed by Iowa and Purdue the past 2 years.

Wisconsin is with Iowa, Michigan and Penn State. Tier 1 is Ohio state and nobody is close in the big ten
Given what we have seen so far, that’s laughable. If Wisconsin struggles with Michigan next week, I’m with you. Thus far Wisconsin absolutely passes the eye test. Ohio State hasn’t played a substantially more difficult schedule, they might have a marginally more difficult schedule. They’ve both look good on the road, but Wisconsin has travelled further.

Agreed. Once you get past Bama, LSU and Georgia in the SEC, I'm not sure there are that many teams that would totally wax a healthy Iowa squad. Florida's QB is done for the year, and I ain't sure Auburn is that good either. I think A&M would probably beat us handily with Mond at QB, but aside from them, I don't think there is anyone too scary in the SEC.

You are right, but I would probably say the amount of parity from about 10-30 is totally huge. Once you get much past 30, maybe 35, you are starting to get into some of the ACC and even middling PAC 10 teams and those teams really suck. The SEC probably gets a little more love than they should because the top 3 teams are so good, but once you get past #4 in the SEC, it ain't that good.

Teams like Tennessee, South Carolina, Missouri, Vandy, Ol' Miss, Arkansas, etc., aren't any better than the middle of the Big Ten, but maybe their low water mark is a bit above ours as I think even their bad teams would paste Illinois or Rutgers, but that ain't saying much. At least the Big Ten fixed that by dictating 9 conference games rather than letting everyone play UT-Chattanooga right before rivalry week. I think the grind in the Big Ten is worse than the SEC and that is how OSU has managed to get totally waxed by Iowa and Purdue the past 2 years.

Agreed. Likely a bigger drop after about top 30, I was kinda pushing it going to 40.

They really need to get all P5 conferences on 9 game schedules.

For all the talk of "weak schedule" and Hawks not scheduling a perennial top #20 ooc opponent... as long as isu is a top 25-35ish team and B1G has a 9 game schedule, most years the Hawks will end with a top 25 sos. I'd have no problem scheduling a top 15-20 every few years for ooc game, but it likely doesn't help much and the risk isn't worth it.

Latest posts