Judging from Chad Leistikow's column today, he must have got a pair for Christmas.

Saw that as well..................he's not the only Hawk sport's writer by the way that expressed a similar tone coming out of Kirk's press conference.

Chad better be careful if he doesn't want to be banned from covering Iowa games. The precedent has already been set.

Chad better be careful if he doesn't want to be banned from covering Iowa games. The precedent has already been set.
I believe that “ban threat“ thing is a myth. I think the conclusion by some that the local media is afraid to be critical is nonsense. True, that the local media does and absolutely should, play up Iowa’s strengths. Duh. That does not mean there has not been a good amount of criticism in the print media locally of Iowa’s total offensive failures. Posters here need to read stuff in addition to HN views. Do some fact finding.

I believe that “ban threat“ thing is a myth. I think the conclusion by some that the local media is afraid to be critical is nonsense. True, that the local media does and absolutely should, play up Iowa’s strengths. Duh. That does not mean there has not been a good amount of criticism in the print media locally of Iowa’s total offensive failures. Posters here need to read stuff in addition to HN views. Do some fact finding.
Hayden did kick off Ron Gonder from the WMT radio broadcasts of Iowa football. It's already been done and the Iowa press remembers that. That might be the only reason why the media treats Kirk with kid gloves.

Almost every podcast I've seen basically called the "press conference" (slash justification and propaganda session) a shit-show and full of crap.
The WalkOns were more political as I'm sure they didn't want to crap on the current coaching staff. The boys didn't really endorse Brian though. What's lost on this is the fact the attention should have been on the incoming class. Spewing out half-truths and statistics that don't tell the whole story have become standard operating procedure at Camp Kinnick. The distraction that is Brian Ferentz continues....

Last edited:
I wonder what lies were told to our new QB before he transferred only to have the rug pulled.
Pretty much the 64k question I'd say. I can't be sure. But I'd say if he and others were told anything different then what's going down they'd be none too happy. I don't think KF would recruit in a deceitful way though. He's been around way too long. I can't see him drastically changing. He won't change his OC or offensive strategy but he would how he recruits by lying now? I can't swallow that pill. I just can't

I wonder what lies were told to our new QB before he transferred only to have the rug pulled.
I think Budmayr must be playing a significant role in all this, since both McNamara and Hill have a history and comfort level with him.

Without committing to details, I wonder if Kirk assured them Budmayr would be playing a prominent role this season and be heavily involved with the quarterbacks and passing game?

Why else would Budmayr stick around at this point? There must be a plan that one of the assistant coach slots is opening up for him. I know he doesn't have an amazing resume, but it is certainly good enough to land a position coach spot at a Power 5 school, which would pay him like 4 or 5 times the amount he can make in his analyst role.

Money aside, it's also a pretty dicey position to stick around for. Analyst for a historically bad offense? For two years? Not sure how you leverage that one. And with a decent chance that Kirk would bring in a new OC at that point who may want to hire his own staff.

The only reason I can see Budmayr sticking around for year 2 is that he won't be sticking around for the analyst role.

I think Budmayr must be playing a significant role in all this, since both McNamara and Hill have a history and comfort level with him.

Without committing to details, I wonder if Kirk assured them Budmayr would be playing a prominent role this season and be heavily involved with the quarterbacks and passing game?

Why else would Budmayr stick around at this point? There must be a plan that one of the assistant coach slots is opening up for him. I know he doesn't have an amazing resume, but it is certainly good enough to land a position coach spot at a Power 5 school, which would pay him like 4 or 5 times the amount he can make in his analyst role.

Money aside, it's also a pretty dicey position to stick around for. Analyst for a historically bad offense? For two years? Not sure how you leverage that one. And with a decent chance that Kirk would bring in a new OC at that point who may want to hire his own staff.

The only reason I can see Budmayr sticking around for year 2 is that he won't be sticking around for the analyst role.
My guess was all along that Budmayr was going to be QB coach... I figured after the dust settled and all the 'evaluating of the staff' was done that they'd strip that role from BF and let Budmayr have it. The only snow balls chance we had of BF leaving was if he took another job. Well come to find out nobody else really wants him either.

If that's not happening either then heck if I know what Budmayr is doing. Would think he could have better gigs then fetching coffee for Brian.

My guess was all along that Budmayr was going to be QB coach... I figured after the dust settled and all the 'evaluating of the staff' was done that they'd strip that role from BF and let Budmayr have it. The only snow balls chance we had of BF leaving was if he took another job. Well come to find out nobody else really wants him either.

If that's not happening either then heck if I know what Budmayr is doing. Would think he could have better gigs then fetching coffee for Brian.
But if Budmayr becomes QB coach and BF is still here, that means another assistant will have left. I'd guess Brian is still throwing his hat in the ring for NFL jobs, and maybe a guy like Copeland is too. And also possible that Niemann told Kirk he is ready to retire soon, and if none of the assistants leave, he'd be willing to take on the analyst role for next year so that Budmayr could be the QB coach. Who knows.

But the more I think about it, it only makes sense that Budmayr is still around because he's been promised an assistant gig...which likely means at least a couple of the current assistants are exploring other options.

But if Budmayr becomes QB coach and BF is still here, that means another assistant will have left. I'd guess Brian is still throwing his hat in the ring for NFL jobs, and maybe a guy like Copeland is too. And also possible that Niemann told Kirk he is ready to retire soon, and if none of the assistants leave, he'd be willing to take on the analyst role for next year so that Budmayr could be the QB coach. Who knows.

But the more I think about it, it only makes sense that Budmayr is still around because he's been promised an assistant gig...which likely means at least a couple of the current assistants are exploring other options.
For awhile I thought Barnett was gonna be gone if the musical chairs game woulda got started. BF coulda slid into being the Oline coach and run game coordinator. But that's too much of a demotion for him to take so here we are. So status quo baby run it back. If it's broke just leave it alone

Latest posts