Jeff Brohm in at Purdue.

docholihawk

Forget Les Miles. Jeff Brohm is the new head coach at Purdue. I don't know much about him. Came over from Western Kentucky. Anybody know what kind of coach he'll be?

Forget Les Miles. Jeff Brohm is the new head coach at Purdue. I don't know much about him. Came over from Western Kentucky. Anybody know what kind of coach he'll be?
Dudes a stud and has done wonders at Western Kentucky. Look for them to really improve at least on the offensive side of the ball. Defensively will still be challenging for them.

Hmm...

We're ranked 24th in total defense, 10th in scoring defense, and 12th in red zone defense, and you want to mess with it?

I get that not everyone likes Phil Parker, but come on...
Maybe next time Iowa plays Northwestern, Penn State, NDS, Purdue, etc., the defense can be more in the game. Let me not forget Tennessee or Stanford.

All those teams except NDS had the same type of offense: Spread offense that put athletic pressure on every Iowa defender. SDS just had a better offensive line than Iowa's defensive line and, in the style of Iowa's offense, played keep away from their opponent's offense.

Last edited:
Hmm...

We're ranked 24th in total defense, 10th in scoring defense, and 12th in red zone defense, and you want to mess with it?

I get that not everyone likes Phil Parker, but come on...
And all of this despite being opposite an offense that was one of the worst in the country. Which means they were on the field more. I will say, we didn't turn it over too much and put the defense in terrible positions, but still, pretty impressive. Can't believe they would get there after getting pushed around by the Bison, blown up by the purple kitties, and destroyed by Pedo State. They made adjustments and improvements and I like where they are now.

Only BIG experience was as QB coach for Illannoy on Zook's staff 2010-2011.

Head coaching record[edit]
Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers
(Conference USA) (2014–present)
2014 Western Kentucky 8–5 4–4 3rd (East) W Bahamas
2015 Western Kentucky 12–2 8–0 1st (East) W Miami Beach 24
2016 Western Kentucky 10–3 7–1 T–1st (East) Boca Raton
Western Kentucky: 30–10 19–5
Total: 30–10
National championship Conference title Conference division title
†Indicates Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, BCS, or CFP / New Years' Six bowl.
#Rankings from final Coaches Poll.
°Rankings from final AP Poll.

I'm an MTSU MBA graduate and see Western Kentucky as a C-USA conference opponent, and this is a home run hire for Purdue.

Stats don't lie pal.

I could also say that we held three ranked teams we lost to to 41 points total. We can dance around all you want but the rankings are based on numbers, not cherry-picking certain games.
One can, IMO, quite easily figure out the offenses Iowa's defense is stout against and the offenses Iowa has trouble against. If I can easily figure this out, opponents can do so too.

Not every opponent's offense is going to have a wounded QB. Or an overall pathetic offense. Or have a new coach.

One can, IMO, quite easily figure out the offenses Iowa's defense is stout against and the offenses Iowa has trouble against. If I can easily figure this out, opponents can do so too.
So you can figure it out but Jim Harbaugh and Mike Riley cannot? Unless you're a millionaire you're in the wrong profession.

Iowa was 109th in time of possession this year out of 128 schools. But I suppose that doesn't matter either? Our defense was out on the field almost 10 minutes longer per game than the top teams. How many plays does that equate to over 12 games? That says something to me.

He's who Iowa should wish they would hire for OC is what he is. He's an offensive mind that if he can get a good QB and couple of receivers he could get purdue to be a tougher team again. Maybe not like they were in the Drew Brees or even South East Polk kid days. It'll take awhile to get them any where near that again. Much like Illinois it's just a tough job as far down as they are. But the greatest equalizer or 'leveling of the field' against teams better than you is to have a passing game. Time will tell obviously how he'll do.

So you can figure it out but Jim Harbaugh and Mike Riley cannot? Unless you're a millionaire you're in the wrong profession.

Iowa was 109th in time of possession this year out of 128 schools. But I suppose that doesn't matter either? Our defense was out on the field almost 10 minutes longer per game than the top teams. How many plays does that equate to over 12 games? That says something to me.

To be fair, Nebraska had Iowa's D burnt several times. Armstrong missed wide open WRs all day. 3/4 of which would have been TDs.

Maybe next time Iowa plays Northwestern, Penn State, NDS, Purdue, etc., the defense can be more in the game. Let me not forget Tennessee or Stanford.

All those teams except NDS had the same type of offense: Spread offense that put athletic pressure on every Iowa defender. SDS just had a better offensive line than Iowa's defensive line and, in the style of Iowa's offense, played keep away from their opponent's offense.

I like your posts bro, but the NDSU loss is on the offense. When a ranked P5 team can't put up more than 23 on an FCS school, something is wrong. To put it in simple terms, whatever your feelings are about our defense, it is world's better than our offense.

Last edited:
I like your posts bro, but the NDSU loss is on the offense. When a ranked P5 team can't put up more than 20 on an FCS school, something is wrong. To put it in simple terms, whatever your feelings are about our defense, it is world's better than our offense.
Iowa's offense had, what, 3 possessions in the second half against SDS? Iowa's defense couldn't get off the field the whole second half, but that's not all that unusual.

you still think defense is the issue huh. I'll give ya PSU game, but otherwise....no.
SDS, Northwestern, Purdue, even though Iowa won, was a defensive nightmare for Iowa. Iowa was behind Tennessee and Stanford by about 3 scores in the first quarter. Pretty hard for any OC to devise an effective game plan after that.

If Iowa had the dominant defense of, let's say, Wisconsin, Iowa would be in more games, in more championships...even though Wisconsin's secondary screwed the pooch in the PSU game.

The main difference between Wisconsin and Iowa is the defense. Wisconsin's is better.

Last edited:

Latest posts