ISU hires new coach (per ESPN)

For all the Iowa fans that made fun about the possibility of hiring Otz, I would prefer that.

I think Pollard should have pulled the trigger on Otz too. I don't see how he is a bigger risk than Prohm. Time will tell.

I would have loved to see JP hire Otz, but for entirely different reasons. The melt down would have been epic first of all, second of all Otz would have buried that program Lickliteresque.

Otz has to be the most overrated assistant in the country. He's been on two NCAA tournament staffs in his 9 years of coaching. ISU's new coach did put more guys into the NBA than Fred did at ISU. But at least Fred's rolodex got him plenty of coaching job interviews.

What the flock are you taking about. Ralph & Lute left. Obviously, they didn't want to be at Iowa. For great coaches, Iowa is a stepping stone job!

That was in the early 80s. Olsen coached Iowa like 9 years that's hardly using Iowa as a stepping stone. Raveling I suppose you could say that. But still mid 80s is when that went down. I barely remember the end of BJ Armstrongs senior year. College basketball is a different world then it was 25 plus years ago. The question is do you think Licklighter if he'd have done well would he have left for greener pastures and if so how soon?... We'll thankfully never know that. Fran isn't leaving for another gig unless he's fired. He has program going the right direction and with his boys getting closer to coming he'll be like Ferentz and want to have them finish growing up in Iowa city and play for him.

I think this is a good hire for ISU. I do. I think he is a good fit on many fronts. Now, can he recruit to ISU will be the big question. He can keep the train rolling for next year at least but will then depend on his recruiting abilities. Agree that if he has any success whatsoever he will be gone in a 3-4 years. Sidenote: All of this hype about ISU being a top 5 team next season. No way. I just don't see it. You can't be a top 5 team when you play such horrible defense. Top 15 - probably.

I would expect a well trained monkey to win as the coach of isu next year. However, as you guys have pointed out many times the roster basically completely turns over after next year. He has zero experience recruiting at the high major level and zero recruiting experience outside of the southeast.

I'm obviously in the minority but I have huge concerns about the recruiting situation, because he is going to have to restock quickly. A year recruiting learning curve means a 10-12 win season in 2017, a development year means another garbage year in 2018, and by then it gets really tough. Just my opinion obviously.

I would expect a well trained monkey to win as the coach of isu next year. However, as you guys have pointed out many times the roster basically completely turns over after next year. He has zero experience recruiting at the high major level and zero recruiting experience outside of the southeast.

I'm obviously in the minority but I have huge concerns about the recruiting situation, because he is going to have to restock quickly. A year recruiting learning curve means a 10-12 win season in 2017, a development year means another garbage year in 2018, and by then it gets really tough. Just my opinion obviously.

So you are FINALLY getting on board with what I was trying to tell you months ago, before Hoiberg was known to be leaving??? Da Mayor has be asleep at the wheel, or more than likely just didn't want to do any real recruiting Of HS kids. Listen it is ok to say that Hoiberg *ucked recruiting up big time, and missed on a HUGE opportunity with all the momentum the program had....he can still be your idol and all even if you acknowledge he wasn't perfect.

Wow are Hawk fans really questioning Prohm's hiring due to his post-season success or lack thereof? What do you guys think of Fran then?? All he's done was win 3 NCAA tourney games in 20 YEARS as a HEAD COACH. So much hypocrisy as it pertains to ISU on this board it's unreal.

Last edited:
Wow are Hawk fans really questioning Prohm's hiring due to his post-season success or lack thereof? What do you guys think of Fran then?? All he's done was win 3 NCAA tourney games in 20 YEARS as a head coach. So much hypocrisy as it pertains to ISU on this board it's unreal.

I don't think prohm was a bad hire.

But, the difference in the hires is the state of the program when the hires were made. Iowa was HORRENDOUS when we hired Fran.

Iowa state is coming off of/in the midst of one of the best runs in the history of the program. One would think they would have had their pick of coaches -- and maybe they did. Or, it's also possible that, even at its peak, the ISU job is not the dream job some thought it was. Hence the motivation to go after a successful low/mid-major guy. (it could have also been the timing of fred leaving, available coaches ... or all of the above)

That said, I believe neither Fran nor prohm are bad hires.

Good luck in the coming years.

I don't think prohm was a bad hire.

But, the difference in the hires is the state of the program when the hires were made. Iowa was HORRENDOUS when we hired Fran.

Iowa state is coming off of/in the midst of one of the best runs in the history of the program. One would think they would have had their pick of coaches -- and maybe they did. Or, it's also possible that, even at its peak, the ISU job is not the dream job some thought it was. Hence the motivation to go after a successful low/mid-major guy. (it could have also been the timing of fred leaving, available coaches ... or all of the above)

That said, I believe neither Fran nor prohm are bad hires.

Good luck in the coming years.

I agree with everything here, solid post. Just think it's comical that Iowa fans make fun of ISU's recent postseason blemish in addition to the postseason record of the new hire head coach, whereas their own damn program has had NO RECENT postseason success and their head coach has had total of 3 tourney wins in 20 years of head coaching.

Last edited:
I agree with everything here, solid post. Just think it's comical that Iowa fans make fun of ISU's recent postseason blemishes in addition to the postseason record of the new hire head coach, whereas their own damn program has had NO RECENT postseason success and their head coach has had total of 3 tourney wins in 20 years of head coaching.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of big ten conference coaches that wish Lickliter was still the Iowa coach instead of Fran. I always thought Hoiberg was overrated, but it remains to be seen if the other coaches in the conference will be happy or unhappy with the new Iowa State coach. I watched an interview and he seemed like a pretty impressionable guy. I can see where he might be able to bring in some pretty good recruits. If he had an NBA point guard for his former team the last few years, for the level of competition his former team played, it doesn't really sound like you can tell just how good a coach he is. I imagine a high quality point guard could pretty much have his way in a less competitive environment.

Wow are Hawk fans really questioning Prohm's hiring due to his post-season success or lack thereof? What do you guys think of Fran then?? All he's done was win 3 NCAA tourney games in 20 YEARS as a HEAD COACH. So much hypocrisy as it pertains to ISU on this board it's unreal.

Fran had won two NCAA tournament in the three years before coming to Iowa, Prohm made zero NCAA tournaments, let alone win any games, the three years before coming to ISU. Your ignorance is unreal.

I agree with everything here, solid post. Just think it's comical that Iowa fans make fun of ISU's recent postseason blemish in addition to the postseason record of the new hire head coach, whereas their own damn program has had NO RECENT postseason success and their head coach has had total of 3 tourney wins in 20 years of head coaching.

LOL we won more tournament games than you did last year.

mo5wp.jpg

yeah, man ... you said that already. It's right up there a few posts.

not that many coaches can say they have taken multiple teams to the dance.

Fran had won two NCAA tournament in the three years before coming to Iowa, Prohm made zero NCAA tournaments, let alone win any games, the three years before coming to ISU. Your ignorance is unreal.

Was there a reason you didn't go back to 4 years? Prohm has 1 tourney win in 4 years of head coaching. If he continues at this rate, he will STILL exceed Fran's putrid 3 wins in 20 year pace hahaha.

I didn't see the press conference yesterday but I read that his expectations are 2 NCAA tourney appearances over the next 5 seasons. Since this year's team is pretty much a lock, that means 1 appearance over the following 4 seasons. Do you agree with his expectations or do you think that is an unnecessarily low bar to set? I understand that Hoiberg may have set the bar a bit too high with his 'championship caliber team' talk but this seems to be too far to the other end of the spectrum.

Those aren't his expectations and he didn't say anything like that at the presser.

That would be an absurdly low bar.

Latest posts