Isaac TeSlaa Checks Out Iowa Football

Big athletic looking kid. Him on one side Brecht on the other with Ragaini in the slot could be something to work with. (Assuming Ragaini is back I haven't heard any different)

Miami just offered him. And not the Ohio one
So, a little perspective based on where I live...

Te Slaa is a Dutch reformed name, and he goes to a Dutch Reformed high school right outside Grand Rapids, MI which is the Reformed church capital of North America (the other one being Orange City, Iowa and surrounding towns, and a smaller faction in Pella, IA).

I'm not gonna say for sure because I could be wrong, but knowing the ultra-conservative Dutch Reformed culture my whole life, I'd say Miami, FL wouldn't be a super awesome fit for him culturally.

At the very least he'd have three teammates at Iowa in the same "demographic" (Landyn Van Kekerix, Zach Lutmer and Nick DeJong)

Te Slaa is a Dutch reformed name, and he goes to a Dutch Reformed high school right outside Grand Rapids, MI which is the Reformed church capital of North America (the other one being Orange City, Iowa and surrounding towns, and a smaller faction in Pella, IA).

I'm not gonna say for sure because I could be wrong, but knowing the ultra-conservative Dutch Reformed culture my whole life, I'd say Miami, FL wouldn't be a super awesome fit for him culturally.

At the very least he'd have three teammates at Iowa in the same "demographic" (Landyn Van Kekerix, Zach Lutmer and Nick DeJong)
Feels like we have a good shot with him. He's taken a few visits already I wonder how many more he's going to take.
When I was in middle school our marching band went and performed in the parade in Orange City. Man that feels like it was forever ago. I bet I haven't been to Orange city twice since then either.

From the editor at Canes website:

Transfer portal visitors follow the same rules as high school recruits, i.e. the dead period hits Sunday at midnight. So if TeSlaa is going to visit Miami it has to be in the next six days. The good news for the Canes? He’s in Stuart, Fla., right now visiting his girlfriend. So he’s just a couple of hours up the road.

“I’m going to see what I can do, I can just take a trip over there,” he says. “Miami definitely has a chance with me.”

Offered by Miami yesterday and ND now reported hovering as well

You are right on the Dutch reform stuff. I grew up in Rock Rapids. Now live near Oostburg, WI. Also Dutch Reform. some of the kids there head to Sioux Center or Orange City.

You are right on the Dutch reform stuff. I grew up in Rock Rapids. Now live near Oostburg, WI. Also Dutch Reform. some of the kids there head to Sioux Center or Orange City.
Dordt and Northwestern are just money factories. They import tons of Reformed kids every year from around the country and Dordt has probably 20-25% of its nursing students coming from a few reformed communities in Canada. It's all pretty ridiculous, really.

No matter where you live in the country, if your last name is Vander De Meeterenstra Plaats Te Groten Huistra Der Maaten and your kids aren't going to big college, you send them either to Dordt or NW

Dordt and Northwestern are just money factories. They import tons of Reformed kids every year from around the country and Dordt has probably 20-25% of its nursing students coming from a few reformed communities in Canada. It's all pretty ridiculous, really.

No matter where you live in the country, if your last name is Vander De Meeterenstra Plaats Te Groten Huistra Der Maaten and your kids aren't going to big college, you send them either to Dordt or NW
I grew up in Hull (Sioux County). You are spot on. That NW Iowa area has sent quite a few players to the NFL. From West Lyon you have Kyle Vanden Bosch and LeVar Woods who is on the Hawks coaching staff. LB Van Ginkel with Miami, Ko Kieft with the Bucs, Leighton Vander Esch with the Cowboys and I know I am missing 1 or 2 more.

I grew up in Hull (Sioux County). You are spot on. That NW Iowa area has sent quite a few players to the NFL. From West Lyon you have Kyle Vanden Bosch and LeVar Woods who is on the Hawks coaching staff. LB Van Ginkel with Miami, Ko Kieft with the Bucs, Leighton Vander Esch with the Cowboys and I know I am missing 1 or 2 more.
Vander Esch is actually from Idaho.

Adam Timmerman (Cherokee) and Christian Rozeboom (Sioux Center) are two others from here.

If you wanna get really crazy, Vern Den Herder from Sioux Center was probably the best player to come from NW Iowa. He was on the '72 Dolphins team and led the Dolphins in sacks (unofficially) in six different seasons. Had a 5 sack game ('73), and two 4 sack games ('74 and '79).

Right you are Fry. Here is one for you: At one time, Sioux Center refused to offer football at their high school, apparently because of the fear of injury. Only allowed basketball and baseball, which they were darn good at.
Do you recall the death of a football player from Akron who died from an injury? Akron stopped playing football for some years. They were in the old Siouxland Conference.

Vander Esch is actually from Idaho.

Adam Timmerman (Cherokee) and Christian Rozeboom (Sioux Center) are two others from here.

If you wanna get really crazy, Vern Den Herder from Sioux Center was probably the best player to come from NW Iowa. He was on the '72 Dolphins team and led the Dolphins in sacks (unofficially) in six different seasons. Had a 5 sack game ('73), and two 4 sack games ('74 and '79).
Timmerman bought into a couple John Deer dealerships up there. He lives south of town right off Highway 59 about 4 miles. He and his brother bought up a shit ton of land back in the mid 2000s so they and his nephews all farm it. He and his bro seemed to have had a bit of a falling out awhile ago and I don't think Adam is very hands on with any of that anymore. He's just running the dealership stuff now from what some have told my Dad.

My Dad is his closest neighbor now. Lives no more then 500 yards north on the east side of hwy 59 from him.

Timmerman bought into a couple John Deer dealerships up there. He lives south of town right off Highway 59 about 4 miles. He and his brother bought up a shit ton of land back in the mid 2000s so they and his nephews all farm it. He and his bro seemed to have had a bit of a falling out awhile ago and I don't think Adam is very hands on with any of that anymore. He's just running the dealership stuff now from what some have told my Dad.

My Dad is his closest neighbor now. Lives no more then 500 yards north on the east side of hwy 59 from him.
Actually Timmerman sold all of his interests in the dealership stuff in 2017. I work in the ag equipment industry, so we actually had to be involved in some of it.

Timmerman started Icon Ag and Turf back in the 2000s like you mentioned, and they were up to 5 dealerships total. Agrivision is a really big ass John Deere franchise with 17 dealerships total; they came in and bought Timmerman out. He farms now (also like you said), and he's the head dude for the NW Iowa chapter of FCA.

Actually Timmerman sold all of his interests in the dealership stuff in 2017. I work in the ag equipment industry, so we actually had to be involved in some of it.

Timmerman started Icon Ag and Turf back in the 2000s like you mentioned, and they were up to 5 dealerships total. Agrivision is a really big ass John Deere franchise with 17 dealerships total; they came in and bought Timmerman out. He farms now (also like you said), and he's the head dude for the NW Iowa chapter of FCA.
No shit I hadn't heard that he'd sold out. Musta made some serious bank to do that. The most recent scuttlebutt I'd heard on him was just about he and his bro not getting along all that well and he wasn't doing much farming and leaving that to him. They'd gotten out ahead of their skis some with how much they have to do and not enough man power. Besides his 2 nephews I'm not sure if they have any hired hands or not. I think Adam has some cattle I know he used to. He's not too friendly amongst the neighbors. I'm not sure the why Dad says he's just really stand offish. I haven't but seen him a couple times myself and it's been forever ago.

Back when I was in HS still in 98 he came to River Valley to speak at our athletic banquet and was all about the FCA stuff he's been a part of it forever. Not surprised he climbed the ladder within that too.

No shit I hadn't heard that he'd sold out. Musta made some serious bank to do that. The most recent scuttlebutt I'd heard on him was just about he and his bro not getting along all that well and he wasn't doing much farming and leaving that to him. They'd gotten out ahead of their skis some with how much they have to do and not enough man power. Besides his 2 nephews I'm not sure if they have any hired hands or not. I think Adam has some cattle I know he used to. He's not too friendly amongst the neighbors. I'm not sure the why Dad says he's just really stand offish. I haven't but seen him a couple times myself and it's been forever ago.

Back when I was in HS still in 98 he came to River Valley to speak at our athletic banquet and was all about the FCA stuff he's been a part of it forever. Not surprised he climbed the ladder within that too.
Yeah Agrivision is in the hostile takeover mode, their goal is to basically own every John Deere dealership in Iowa and Nebraska and beyond. The company was actually started as a consolidation right from the get go and they just keep gobbling up family-owned dealerships. They want to be the Walmart of implement dealers.

Met Timmerman a couple times, he’s kind of a douche in my opinion.

Yeah Agrivision is in the hostile takeover mode, their goal is to basically own every John Deere dealership in Iowa and Nebraska and beyond. The company was actually started as a consolidation right from the get go and they just keep gobbling up family-owned dealerships. They want to be the Walmart of implement dealers.

Met Timmerman a couple times, he’s kind of a douche in my opinion.
Their just can't be any such thing as small family owned anymore.. Everything has to be owned by the small handful.

Doesn't surprise me that's your impression of him. Although his former teammates seemed to like him. Back when his Dad died several of them came to his funeral including Favre. I'd read where he helped advocate for Bryant Young to get in the HOF. He didn't have to do that. It feels like he's just not a great guy to the commoners for whatever reasons. My Dad sure doesn't have anything good to say about him and he's seen him way more then me.

I'm not coming up for Xmas so most likely I'll be back up there this summer. We'll see

Latest posts