Is the College Football Season Too Long?

eyekwah

In my lifetime the season has went from 9 games to 12. In 1956 the first game wasn't until September 29th against Indiana and the season ended before Thanksgiving. The non-conference games in 1956 were against Hawaii and the last game against Notre Dame ended the regular season. Iowa was 8-1 regular season with a win in the Rosebowl against Oregon State. Obviously much has changed rule wise and with player development, but I do feel that the injury risks associated with football today cannot be mitigated by equipment and conditioning. As a fan am I asking too much from young men so I can watch a minimum of 12 games?

Do you know why colleges are playing 12 regular season games vs 9? It seems like with all the TV money pouring in that dropping two non-conference games would help reduce the risk of injury, fewer plays means fewer chances of injury. More than once critical comments are made about Iowa's non-conference opponents. Yet we continue on without ever giving consideration to the impact of so many games.

If you had a voice what would you change about the college football season? In my case I would drop two non-conference games in order to conduct a more true football playoff. Select the best 16 teams and use rounds 1 and 2 to get down to 4 teams. Use the bowls to determine the national champ from the 4 remaining playoff winners.

In my lifetime the season has went from 9 games to 12. In 1956 the first game wasn't until September 29th against Indiana and the season ended before Thanksgiving. The non-conference games in 1956 were against Hawaii and the last game against Notre Dame ended the regular season. Iowa was 8-1 regular season with a win in the Rosebowl against Oregon State. Obviously much has changed rule wise and with player development, but I do feel that the injury risks associated with football today cannot be mitigated by equipment and conditioning. As a fan am I asking too much from young men so I can watch a minimum of 12 games?

Do you know why colleges are playing 12 regular season games vs 9? It seems like with all the TV money pouring in that dropping two non-conference games would help reduce the risk of injury, fewer plays means fewer chances of injury. More than once critical comments are made about Iowa's non-conference opponents. Yet we continue on without ever giving consideration to the impact of so many games.

If you had a voice what would you change about the college football season? In my case I would drop two non-conference games in order to conduct a more true football playoff. Select the best 16 teams and use rounds 1 and 2 to get down to 4 teams. Use the bowls to determine the national champ from the 4 remaining playoff winners.
You answered your own question. It’s money.

You can come up with all the creative scenarios you want, but money talks and they’ll never shorten the season.

It does feel like last season ended like 2 months ago. It is emotionally draining and stressful for those who take it very serious.

No way is the season too long. 14 total weeks, 12 games, 2 bye weeks is about perfect for the regular season.

We are going to get to an 8 team playoff here soon anyway. That will then lead to 16 at some point. Once people figure out that if you have auto bids for leagues, then the Conference Championship Game essentially becomes round 1 of the playoffs no matter if they call it that or not. That will then lead to 16 team playoff at some point.

How about going with the NFL proposal (18 game season, but any single player can only play 16):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ule-with-a-16-game-limit-could-actually-work/

As the linked article points out, only about 30% of players actually play in every game in a given season anyway, so for most, the "forced" games off are something they would already be utilizing.

For college, how about a 12 game season, but any given player can only play 10? The linked article states that QBs and kickers should be exempt from this rule in the NFL, but I say no exemptions in college. Wouldn't you love to watch Mansell take the entire Rutgers game? You have 85 scholarship players, you should be able to field a decent team even if some of your players are unavailable.

The strategery would be crazy. Should we sit Stanley vs. Rutgers or vs. Mid Tenn St.? And then if we sit him during Rutgers, what a slap in the face.

To add another level to it, let's even give teams/players the options to play all 12, but in so doing they sacrifice a year of eligibility. Wirfs and Epenesa, you guys better be ready to go each week.

InfamousDirtyAngwantibo-poster.jpg

In my opinion there is too long of a delay in between the end of the regular season and the start of Bowl Season. That is why in my opinion they need to increase the number of playoff teams, have them start earlier. The first two weeks should be played at the higher seeds home field. The rest of the games become sponsored by the bowl games (most likely to the highest bidder) If non-playoff teams are invited to "lesser" bowl games more power to them but those games they need to be completed by Christmas.

Cmon. The off-season is too long. Christ. Soccer, baseball and last seasons football are all we have. I’ve even watched a Canadian football league game. What other bullshit is there? NASCAR? Golf? Wimbledon? Let’s be real for a second. Nobody watches Wimbledon if College football is on at the same time. I’m almost getting excited for NFL preseason. The off-season is too long.

I can't think of a sports season that isn't too long.
NHL= Too long
NFL= Too long
MLB= Too long
NCAA FB = Too long
NCAA BB = Too long
This post= Too long

I'd rank em in this order

NHL & NBA: both wayyyy too long by 12-15 games. Hockey doesn't belong in June, nor does BB
MLB: way too long. 20 games The World Series should never approach November
NFL: about right - reduce preseason to one home & one away game
NCAA FB: about right, cut the number of bowls by a third and expand the playoffs to 8 teams
NCAA BB: about right. enough with the "first four". 64 teams, period. Nice, clean and symmetrical.

Last edited:
Cmon. The off-season is too long. Christ. Soccer, baseball and last seasons football are all we have. I’ve even watched a Canadian football league game. What other bullshit is there? NASCAR? Golf? Wimbledon? Let’s be real for a second. Nobody watches Wimbledon if College football is on at the same time. I’m almost getting excited for NFL preseason. The off-season is too long.
Only sports I watch are NASCAR, college football and NCAA hoops in March/April. I'll watch the NFL champ games, Super Bowl and on Thanksgiving. That's all I can handle.

I don't know how people can watch a full season of basketball, hockey or baseball. The sheer volume of content, all of which is now available on TV, is totally insane.

The NBA season could be too long, but it's biggest issue is that too much of it overlaps the NFL season.

Several years ago, the lockout pushed the season opening games to Christmas Day. I think the NBA should move their openers to Christmas on a permanent basis. Once the NFL season and NCAA tournament ends, the NBA could rule April to July. Have a five month regular season, start the playoffs memorial day weekend, and finish up in late July just before NFL training camps start. You would also be finished before baseball starts to get interesting.

Only sports I watch are NASCAR, college football and NCAA hoops in March/April. I'll watch the NFL champ games, Super Bowl and on Thanksgiving. That's all I can handle.

I don't know how people can watch a full season of basketball, hockey or baseball. The sheer volume of content, all of which is now available on TV, is totally insane.
For many people, having a baseball or basketball game on the TV is strictly background noise. People have the game on but are also on their Facebook or Twitter accounts-as well as contributing to this Forum.

Just my opinion, but any conversation about sports seasons lasting too long that doesn't have MLB at the top of the list lasts any credibility. Sure 82 game NBA and NHL season's may be a bit much but in comparison to MLB (regardless of the toll it puts on the participants) the season is half the number of games.

I'm not trying to justify the length of those schedules or say that based on the length of the seasons all games are relevant, which I don't believe they are, but 162 games not counting post season. Seriously.

Just my opinion, but any conversation about sports seasons lasting too long that doesn't have MLB at the top of the list lasts any credibility. Sure 82 game NBA and NHL season's may be a bit much but in comparison to MLB (regardless of the toll it puts on the participants) the season is half the number of games.

I'm not trying to justify the length of those schedules or say that based on the length of the seasons all games are relevant, which I don't believe they are, but 162 games not counting post season. Seriously.
They had over 100 games before 1900. It actually made sense back then given the lack of mass media options. The revenue all came from the gate. I think one of the biggest challenges for the pro sports leagues is now oversaturation.

They had over 100 games before 1900. It actually made sense back then given the lack of mass media options. The revenue all came from the gate. I think one of the biggest challenges for the pro sports leagues is now oversaturation.

Valid point. I totally get why it's done, but from a competitive standpoint the seasons are way to long. If you want regular season games to feel meaningful and mean something day in and day out, the seasons have to be shortened.

I'd rank em in this order

NHL & NBA: both wayyyy too long by 12-15 games. Hockey doesn't belong in June, nor does BB

MLB: way too long. 20 games The World Series should never approach November

NFL: about right - reduce preseason to one home & one away game
NCAA FB: about right, cut the number of bowls by a third and expand the playoffs to 8 teams
NCAA BB: about right. enough with the "first four". 64 teams, period. Nice, clean and symmetrical.

MLB season large number of games has been likened as a way to even out all the weird hops, even out the flair/bloop hits vs the stinging line drives right at a player, and various other statistical items, even umpire calls. And as others have said games were the main way of making money.

As far as the World Series almost being played in November well that is because of TV/extra rounds to the playoffs, the change from 156 to 162 games, elimination of almost all double headers which can shorten the season while leaving the number of games the same.

MLB is fine right now but they could easily decide they are saturating their product and reduce the games without bothering many fans.

Valid point. I totally get why it's done, but from a competitive standpoint the seasons are way to long. If you want regular season games to feel meaningful and mean something day in and day out, the seasons have to be shortened.

Please see my recent post about the length of MLB being used to statistically even out the highs and lows for teams in order to find the best teams in any season.

I did get hooked on the U.S. Women's soccer team at the World Cup. Only thing that pissed on it was that radical political nut job Rapinoe and her anti American attitude. I wish Ricky Stanzi would punch her n the mouth!

Latest posts