Is Iowa scrambling in the 2020 class?

Bo Ryan had lots of success. Gard hasn't shown the same ability. Wisconsin also has more consistent in state high school talent than we see in the state of Iowa. Bo also developed talent well. Wisconsin also plays a boring as crap basketball style.

I've said this a few times on this board, Fran isn't great at developing talent. KF has had solid consistent success by developing talent consistently. Fran has done that with a few players and had some very good in state talent at times as well. But the consistently of developing mildly recruited players just hasn't been there. Add that to the fact that Fran isn't a stellar in game coach. The results of that combination have been meh at best.

If Iowa does land Foster, then Fran gets another 2 or 3 years for sure. Otherwise I think Fran will be on the hot seat. But Barta probably doesn't have the guts to fire Fran.

All that being said, I do enjoy the style of basketball that Iowa plays. It's not boring but it can be frustrating to have the other team have their best offensive game of the year against Iowa every night.
Fran is a long, long way from being on a hot seat. This is Iowa.

Bo Ryan had lots of success. Gard hasn't shown the same ability. Wisconsin also has more consistent in state high school talent than we see in the state of Iowa. Bo also developed talent well. Wisconsin also plays a boring as crap basketball style.

I've said this a few times on this board, Fran isn't great at developing talent. KF has had solid consistent success by developing talent consistently. Fran has done that with a few players and had some very good in state talent at times as well. But the consistently of developing mildly recruited players just hasn't been there. Add that to the fact that Fran isn't a stellar in game coach. The results of that combination have been meh at best.

If Iowa does land Foster, then Fran gets another 2 or 3 years for sure. Otherwise I think Fran will be on the hot seat. But Barta probably doesn't have the guts to fire Fran.

All that being said, I do enjoy the style of basketball that Iowa plays. It's not boring but it can be frustrating to have the other team have their best offensive game of the year against Iowa every night.

Wisconsin has the #1 rated recruiting class in the country in 2021.

I keep thinking to myself that if we were to start getting some of these recruits to commit, and they all seem worthy, that we'll have to start showing some on the current roster the door. That's never fun and it's major spin control but it would get done.

I do believe Fran is recruiting the type of players that would move us up in the pecking order of B1G talent.

I keep thinking to myself that if we were to start getting some of these recruits to commit, and they all seem worthy, that we'll have to start showing some on the current roster the door. That's never fun and it's major spin control but it would get done.

I do believe Fran is recruiting the type of players that would move us up in the pecking order of B1G talent.
I don’t think we need to show anyone the door. Kriener, Evelyn, Bohannon, Pemsl, Garza all will graduate within the next couple years and Wieskamp isn’t likely a four year guy. Plenty of spots and opportunities available without “creaning” anybody.

On the good news front one of the national rivals guys put in their version of the crystal ball (futurecast) for Xavier Foster to Iowa today.

Kriener and Evelyn are the only for sure guys not coming back next year.

JBo could come back, play a few games then get a medical redshirt or not come back at all this year.

I'm assuming Garza and Pemsl both come back next year but you never know.

JBo could come back, play a few games then get a medical redshirt or not come back at all this year.

Iowa has an open scholarship this year as well, so they have at least three to play with to get to the 13 limit next year.

Also, Till may not have been promised a scholarship for anything more than this season.

We have plenty of flexibility with scholarships.

I believe the point was that those players were all gone in 2 years.

None of this matters though if Fran doesn't get any of these kids. Often we are in the picture late for highly rated recruits but only a couple out of state highly sought after kids have actually committed to Iowa. Before we worry about recruiting over current players, let's actually land the recruits that would in theory be better than current players on the team.

Well it sounds like Iowa has narrowed in on Foster, Ogundele, and Tony Perkins who is visiting this weekend.

Without Foster and with those other two id give that class a D+ / C- grade. Really rough go for Fran and company. If they do land Foster and those other two id say that’s a solid B / B+ grade.

Guard recruiting still seems to be an absolute struggle. Ulis’s best offer outside of Iowa was DePaul. Perkins bets offer outside of Iowa is Bradley and he’s rated sub 350. We really better hope Toussaint and Frederick are as good as some of the hype we are hearing, but we just can’t really convince any top end guards to come to Iowa.

Well it sounds like Iowa has narrowed in on Foster, Ogundele, and Tony Perkins who is visiting this weekend.

Without Foster and with those other two id give that class a D+ / C- grade. Really rough go for Fran and company. If they do land Foster and those other two id say that’s a solid B / B+ grade.

Guard recruiting still seems to be an absolute struggle. Ulis’s best offer outside of Iowa was DePaul. Perkins bets offer outside of Iowa is Bradley and he’s rated sub 350. We really better hope Toussaint and Frederick are as good as some of the hype we are hearing, but we just can’t really convince any top end guards to come to Iowa.

If Fran gets all those guys, it is his absolute typical class. 3 fallbacks and 1 good player.

If Fran gets all those guys, it is his absolute typical class. 3 fallbacks and 1 good player.
Agreed. But locking down a big time player like Foster would be solid. I’m actually intrigued by the Ogundele kid, but like I said we seem to be able to produce quality big men.

The kids we are bringing in at the guard spots don’t appear that impressive. I’m not that big of fan of Ulis’s tape, and this Perkins kid plays in Indy and has hardly any attention.

I mean if you really go back to last year Toussaint was a fallback that didn’t have a ton of looks either. I know we are excited for him but he wasn’t a high level recruit either.

Agreed. But locking down a big time player like Foster would be solid. I’m actually intrigued by the Ogundele kid, but like I said we seem to be able to produce quality big men.

The kids we are bringing in at the guard spots don’t appear that impressive. I’m not that big of fan of Ulis’s tape, and this Perkins kid plays in Indy and has hardly any attention.

I mean if you really go back to last year Toussaint was a fallback that didn’t have a ton of looks either. I know we are excited for him but he wasn’t a high level recruit either.

I'm a big fan of Ulis's apparent work ethic and athleticism though. Just don't like his shooting stats and he's still working on his handle. Never hurts to have an NBA guard cheering on your team/stopping by for some practices though.

And despite the lack of attention (probably due to mediocre stats), I actually love Perkin's tape. He clearly has things to work on, but he likes to initiate contact and has some sweet dunks/finishes high off glass in those situations, and shows off a few shots with shooters touch where they die on the rim and fall in. You can't coach those things.

I'm a big fan of Ulis's apparent work ethic and athleticism though. Just don't like his shooting stats and he's still working on his handle. Never hurts to have an NBA guard cheering on your team/stopping by for some practices though.

And despite the lack of attention (probably due to mediocre stats), I actually love Perkin's tape. He clearly has things to work on, but he likes to initiate contact and has some sweet dunks/finishes high off glass in those situations, and shows off a few shots with shooters touch where they die on the rim and fall in. You can't coach those things.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. Neither guy I would consider above average athletically. Compared to Iowa’s typical guards maybe, but compared to other P5 teams I’d say they are just average athletically, Perkins maybe slightly above average.

On Ulis to me he almost seems too robotic out there. Like he’s predetermined his move or something. I just don’t think he has a great feel for the game. To me he’s kind of a tweener 1/2, personally he doesn’t look like a true point guard but as you mentioned his shot needs work. I’ll give you the work ethic hopefully he will keep improving.

I just watched the Perkins tape again and there was some things I liked for sure. Still though his shot is pretty slow and apparently he’s only 6’3.

Either way aren’t we kind of taking flyers here? Lightly recruited guys sometimes can turn out to be much better than their ranking, but at what point are we going to land a can’t miss 4* type guy in the backcourt? It just really hasn’t happened.

Has a slightly funky looking shot from 3 and we only see the ones that go in but that works for some guys. He is more athletic, at least, than most guards Fran has brought in. Same with Ulis.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. Neither guy I would consider above average athletically. Compared to Iowa’s typical guards maybe, but compared to other P5 teams I’d say they are just average athletically, Perkins maybe slightly above average.

On Ulis to me he almost seems too robotic out there. Like he’s predetermined his move or something. I just don’t think he has a great feel for the game. To me he’s kind of a tweener 1/2, personally he doesn’t look like a true point guard but as you mentioned his shot needs work. I’ll give you the work ethic hopefully he will keep improving.

I just watched the Perkins tape again and there was some things I liked for sure. Still though his shot is pretty slow and apparently he’s only 6’3.

Either way aren’t we kind of taking flyers here? Lightly recruited guys sometimes can turn out to be much better than their ranking, but at what point are we going to land a can’t miss 4* type guy in the backcourt? It just really hasn’t happened.

Have we ever grabbed a highly ranked guard? I mean you go back to Gessel, he was top 100. After that here is what we land at Guard:

Clemmons
Ingram
Jok
Dickerson
Ellinsgon
C. Williams
Fleming
Moss
Hutton
Dailey
Bohannon
McCaffery
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Toussaint

I mean that is flat out embarrassing. In nearly a decade of recruiting Fran has brought in 2 top 100 guards in Gessel and Wieskamp. Sure Jok was good, Bohannon has been good, Moss was ok. The rest is brutally bad recruiting (or still a wait and see on a few yet).