Is Iowa a Top 5 Team in the Big Ten Over the Past 10 Years?

ChosenChildren

The overall records say yes. Here are the top 5 teams over the past 10 years, based on overall record:

1. Ohio State 116-14
2. Wisconsin 91-36
3. Michigan 85-37
4. IOWA 85-41
5. Penn State 84-41

I would hope so considering Iowa has had the same head coach for the past 20+ years. I'm assuming Iowa is top 5 Big Ten record as well?

The overall records say yes. Here are the top 5 teams over the past 10 years, based on overall record:

1. Ohio State 116-14
2. Wisconsin 91-36
3. Michigan 85-37
4. IOWA 85-41
5. Penn State 84-41
Overall Big Records pls.
Past 10 seasons, B1G games only. First one sorted by W/L Pct, second by average SOS. Calling Iowa a top 5 team without the context of SOS is statistically misleading at best, and bullshit at worst.

That's like saying a high school team is better than an NFL team based on record.

1669817384234.png

Past 10 seasons, B1G games only. First one sorted by W/L Pct, second by average SOS. Calling Iowa a top 5 team without the context of SOS is statistically misleading at best, and bullshit at worst.

That's like saying a high school team is better than an NFL team based on record.

View attachment 9571

But you will notice every team in the West gets dinged by SOS because they don't play Ohio State and Michigan every year.

But you will notice every team in the West gets dinged by SOS because they don't play Ohio State and Michigan every year.
Chicken/egg. The east is tougher—that’s not debatable, so comparing Iowa’s record to say, Penn State or Michigan State over the past decade (and saying they performed better) is bullshit because Iowa’s schedule is so much easier.

East teams have for all intents and purposes two guaranteed losses every year and West teams don’t. That’s ridiculous to compare the whole Big Ten together.

Chicken/egg. The east is tougher—that’s not debatable, so comparing Iowa’s record to say, Penn State or Michigan State over the past decade (and saying they performed better) is bullshit because Iowa’s schedule is so much easier.

East teams have for all intents and purposes two guaranteed losses every year and West teams don’t. That’s ridiculous to compare the whole Big Ten together.

But it's not fair to dismiss it entirely based on SOS, Iowa has the 4th highest win percentage over the past 10 years by beating the teams they were supposed to beat (usually). I get why you want to discount the accomplishment based the SOS (which is fair) but Iowa has no control over the Big Ten schedule, the conference does that. I'm not going to claim Iowa is better than Penn State or Michigan State over the past 10 years because over that time frame Iowa went 3-6 against them. But OTOH Iowa went 2-2 against Michigan and is one of the few teams in the Big Ten to own a victory over Ohio State (1-2) during that time.

But you decide how you want to judge Iowa over the past 10 years. For me I think winning 65% of their conference games over the past 10 years is a neat accomplishment. You and I have both been on here reminding people that this is Iowa and this is about as good as it can get, so why are we dismissing it? I'd have a bigger problem with it if Iowa was ranked much lower in the B10 with that SOS.

BTW, another side note to that SOS chart is after next season the 2013 season drops off which was the last year they were doing the Legends/Leaders divisions. Which could be why Wisconsin is a smudge higher in SOS compared to the rest of the West since they had to play Ohio State & PSU an extra time.

But it's not fair to dismiss it entirely based on SOS, Iowa has the 4th highest win percentage over the past 10 years by beating the teams they were supposed to beat (usually). I get why you want to discount the accomplishment based the SOS (which is fair) but Iowa has no control over the Big Ten schedule, the conference does that. I'm not going to claim Iowa is better than Penn State or Michigan State over the past 10 years because over that time frame Iowa went 3-6 against them. But OTOH Iowa went 2-2 against Michigan and is one of the few teams in the Big Ten to own a victory over Ohio State (1-2) during that time.

But you decide how you want to judge Iowa over the past 10 years. For me I think winning 65% of their conference games over the past 10 years is a neat accomplishment. You and I have both been on here reminding people that this is Iowa and this is about as good as it can get, so why are we dismissing it? I'd have a bigger problem with it if Iowa was ranked much lower in the B10 with that SOS.

BTW, another side note to that SOS chart is after next season the 2013 season drops off which was the last year they were doing the Legends/Leaders divisions. Which could be why Wisconsin is a smudge higher in SOS compared to the rest of the West since they had to play Ohio State & PSU an extra time.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade places with other teams in the west, especially after what Wisconsin has going on. But...the reason Iowa is at 65% is because their schedule is Charmin soft compared to other teams in the conference.

I'm not dismissing Iowa. I just feel that in a league with unequal schedules you have to take opponents into context of winning percentage.

I think recent events has opened people’s eyes to a point where they a taking a closer look with new perspectives.

Iowa has been my college football team since I have been five years old. My dad attended Iowa and has been an Iowa fan since he was very young. Come joy, elation, disappointment, sadness (Chris Street), anger, frustration, it courses through my blood (black and gold).

At times of frustration I have been blunt on my feelings of things I have seen over 57 years. Yes doing the math tells you I am 62.

This thing with Brian has really awakened people’s feelings. Not just among Iowa fans but among the football media. Chuck Long is a extremely loyal Iowa fan so when he through out the NEPOTISM charge, you knew things aren’t good.

Let’s face it, what’s this thread really about. It’s meant to be supportive of Kirk. That’s fine becuase Kirk has given us many fun moments and good seasons.

Entire perspectives will change if he does the right thing. Brian has to be removed from his position PLUS Kirk needs to adapt his way of thinking and pursue a different approach to how an offense should be run. So hire an offensive coordinator that is as aggressive as our current defensive coordinator. We need a Dan Gable minded person (meaning drive and determination). Brian can stay on and coach tight ends and remain a part of the program if he want a to.

if Kirk keeps him on as the OC there is no person with a brain that works who isn’t going to start looking at Kirk in a totally different way. I am not going to suggest how everyone will see this as everyone has their own perspectives on things.

Letting his son go isn’t the worst thing as there are constant coaching changing across college football. Most fans will look at as he gave his son a chance and it didn’t work out. We will forget about, move on, and hope for the best. That’s what Iowa fans do.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade places with other teams in the west, especially after what Wisconsin has going on. But...the reason Iowa is at 65% is because their schedule is Charmin soft compared to other teams in the conference.

I'm not dismissing Iowa. I just feel that in a league with unequal schedules you have to take opponents into context of winning percentage.

You are exaggerating with the "Charmin soft" statement, yes Iowa has had an easier schedule over the past 10 years than 11 of the other conference members but if it's using the NCAA SOS ratings there isn't a crapload of disparity between a 3.11 SOS rating and a 5.4. This year a 5.4 rating is 35th in the NCAA while a 3.11 is ranked 49th, in conference we are talking the difference between 50th and 57th. The difference between 5.4 and a 3.11 over the past 10 years is likely subbing out Illinois for Ohio State. You act like the gaps are cavernous when they really are not. Overall the Big Ten is still a tough conference to play in.

Even as a position coach Brian will make twice as much (if not more) than the average Iowan makes. Brian will inherit millions from his father’s estate one day. So this isn’t about money. There is a general moral fiber that people have in Iowa. We all have weaknesses but his appearance of nepotism rubs so many the wrong way. Especially given the fact of just how bad the offense is. Some didn’t like it from the very beginning because they knew what the negative repercussions could be. Myself, I was hopeful that Brian could have brought with him things he learned from position coaching in the NFL. I was in the “wait and see” gang.

Well I’ve “waited and saw”

Kirk as Fryowa has pointed has absolute coaching tenure. So at this point if Kirk were to awaken out of his offensive comma and bring in an offensive coordinator who believes in a wide open offensive scheme HOW COULD IT BE WORSE. You have one of the worst offenses in the country right now. PLUS Parker’s got your back.

So this is the time to try something different.

You are exaggerating with the "Charmin soft" statement, yes Iowa has had an easier schedule over the past 10 years than 11 of the other conference members but if it's using the NCAA SOS ratings there isn't a crapload of disparity between a 3.11 SOS rating and a 5.4. This year a 5.4 rating is 35th in the NCAA while a 3.11 is ranked 49th, in conference we are talking the difference between 50th and 57th. The difference between 5.4 and a 3.11 over the past 10 years is likely subbing out Illinois for Ohio State. You act like the gaps are cavernous when they really are not. Overall the Big Ten is still a tough conference to play in.
What you just did was point out the difference between playing OSU and M in the same season and that makes a huge difference.

What you just did was point out the difference between playing OSU and M in the same season and that makes a huge difference.

In that scale, yes it does so let's sub out Ohio State and assume every game was a loss (which I doubt) so add 5 more losses and subtract 5 wins from that 10 year record. Now Iowa is ranked below MSU and PSU, does that make everyone happy?

I was disagreeing with his "Charmin Soft" comment, there's no such thing playing in the Big Ten. It's not like Iowa played Rutgers for every game in every year.

Not NCAA ratings. Sportsref.

In that scale, yes it does so let's sub out Ohio State and assume every game was a loss (which I doubt) so add 5 more losses and subtract 5 wins from that 10 year record. Now Iowa is ranked below MSU and PSU, does that make everyone happy?

I was disagreeing with his "Charmin Soft" comment, there's no such thing playing in the Big Ten. It's not like Iowa played Rutgers for every game in every year.
The west is Rutgers older brother though.

Not NCAA ratings. Sportsref.
Ok, so we are talking a difference between being ranked 44th and 16th out of 131 teams. This year Iowa has a 2.19 SOS which is considered to be better than Michigan at 1.36. Hell Northwestern is 3rd with a 4.6. Seems hokey.

No, our schedule is Charmin soft. Actually, if you think about it Ohio's is pretty soft as well because let's face it, the reason the East is so tough is in large part due to Ohio. Michigan has gotten much better the past 2 years, but over the prior 8 they were prolly a push with Iowa or Wisconsin, maybe even below by a touch.

No, our schedule is Charmin soft. Actually, if you think about it Ohio's is pretty soft as well because let's face it, the reason the East is so tough is in large part due to Ohio. Michigan has gotten much better the past 2 years, but over the prior 8 they were prolly a push with Iowa or Wisconsin, maybe even below by a touch.
It is going to be so much fun watching OU in the SEC.

You can banter about statistics all you want, but any fan who follows the conference knows that is about right.
There is OSU
Then there is Michigan
Then there is PSU, Wisky and Iowa in one order or another.
Then there is everyone else.

Latest posts