Is Fitz Going Pro?

ssckelley

There seems to be more and more rumors about Pat Fitzgerald becoming the next coach of the Chicago Bears. I am a Bears fan and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Huge loss for Northwestern, so good for the Hawkeyes, but can he coach at the next level?

Bears are a mess, gonna need WAY more than a new coach. But this is interesting.

Give up 3.3M + to jump into a dumpster fire? I guess stranger things have happened.

If I were him, I'd wait for new ownership / organization. Chicago's favorite son does not need that crap. why waste all your good will capital on the bears.

I don't think Fitz fits the NFL. His schtick would get old. I think the fact that guys leave in 4-5 years and he gets to inflict his macho man tactics to a new crop is likely the only way it stays fresh. It's like Nick Saban in the Pros. It doesn't work...you can't be a complete asshole in the pros or have the ego that Saban has...guys won't play for him...and the culture nosedives.

I’m a Packer fan so this isn’t me being positive, all the Bears need is a QB. They have an elite defense and some good skill guys. The problem is the whole team knows their dogshit QB can’t score any points so it doesn’t matter how well they play and they are quitting.

I’m a Packer fan so this isn’t me being positive, all the Bears need is a QB. They have an elite defense and some good skill guys. The problem is the whole team knows their dogshit QB can’t score any points so it doesn’t matter how well they play and they are quitting.
The offensive line is, well, offensive too. At this point, no quarterback could survive with that blocking.

If he was ever going to leave - this is the time.
NW is easily the oldest team in the Big10 this yr = their success. 17/22 are either grad transfers, 5th or 4th yr guys.

Appeal of the pros (besides more $$$) is not having to deal with recruiting.
Agree with those above - problem with Bears organization is above the head coach position.

The draft, salary cap, scheduling is set up for parity. If your team is poor for several years (Jets, Wash, Dallas) that's an organization issue, not who's the head coach issue

Fitz is as locked in at NW as KFz is/was at IOWA. He'll be there as long as he wants to and the expectations at NW will never be unrealistic. If he doesn't mind playing in a half-empty crappy stadium it's a pretty good gig.
Ya, I was thinking about Fitz, schiano and Christ . They are synonymous with their schools. If Fitz for example went to Auburn, he would founder. Same with Christ. They are in the right place at the right time to find success. Schiano is in the right job. Fitz is in the right job, Christ is in the right job

Doesn't matter if it is Matt Campbell or Fitz ......NFL teams are looking at Matt Ruhle(Carolina) and saying if I bring a college dude in that's what I want. Someone who can lead men and we can put in the pieces around him to be successful.

Zero chance.

Why does everyone seem to think nfl head coaching jobs are better in any way?

Same reason they immediately speculate about a player going pro after a good season...or even before, in some cases.

The NFL pays better, but you're on a pretty short leash if you don't win.