Is dale jones going to play next year?

franstheman

I could be wrong but didn't fran say something like "dale has a choice to make" inferring he isn't sure if Dale would come back next year?

Maybe that's Baer's scholarship next year. Hard to rehab twice from the same knee injury. It's a shame seems like a nice player.

I took the statement as they didn't know if surgery (at this time) was going to be the best solution to his injury or not since the statement was made very shortly after he was hurt. One day later it was announced he would be having surgery. This is the same knee that he injured in junior college unfortunately so probably adds to the complexity of the situation.

“I know the doctor is talking to him and he’s talking to his mom right now,â€￾ McCaffery said after Wednesday’s game. “He’ll have some decisions to make.â€￾

I remember reading somewhere that they were pursuing a medical RS. I believe he took a medical RS in JUCO so he may have 1 more year with us or 2...still to be determined by NCAA.

I remember reading somewhere that they were pursuing a medical RS. I believe he took a medical RS in JUCO so he may have 1 more year with us or 2...still to be determined by NCAA.

Based upon your statement, you only get five years to play four. So, That is probably what it was in reference to, though I don't know for sure. It makes sense, if he red-shirted once already and wants to again. Pursuing it would be the decision.

He has already taken his RS year, so if he would need to get a medical hardship to be able to play 4 of 6 years.

I really don't think this is the best thing for IOWA though. These situations are tough, as you would basically be using up a scholarship for Jones for 3 years to try to get 1 year of play out of him. I am assuming at this point that next year is gonna be tough year for him to actually make any waves on the team as he only be a year removed from knee surgery in Dec. of next year. I can't imagine that we would be physically ready to take minutes away from other players at that time.

You hate to see it, but you just let the scholarship run up and he gets his degree from Iowa. I just can't see how Iowa would be better off extending his scholarship another year instead of getting a good young HS player for the '17 scholarship.

He has already taken his RS year, so if he would need to get a medical hardship to be able to play 4 of 6 years.

I really don't think this is the best thing for IOWA though. These situations are tough, as you would basically be using up a scholarship for Jones for 3 years to try to get 1 year of play out of him. I am assuming at this point that next year is gonna be tough year for him to actually make any waves on the team as he only be a year removed from knee surgery in Dec. of next year. I can't imagine that we would be physically ready to take minutes away from other players at that time.

You hate to see it, but you just let the scholarship run up and he gets his degree from Iowa. I just can't see how Iowa would be better off extending his scholarship another year instead of getting a good young HS player for the '17 scholarship.

Yes it will have to be a medical hardship. I'm pretty sure they have already submitted everything and are waiting to hear. Who knows when that will be. I expect 2 years of quality play from him if it's granted...and he can avoid another injury. Below is what he did at JUCO...Points and Rebounds.

Freshman - 9.2 & 6.1
Sophomore - Injured
RS Sophomore - 16.9 & 8.3...shot 45% from 3

He bounced back pretty well after he injured the knee the first time. I'm sure Fran, Dale, family, doctors, etc. will do what's right/best.

He is back next year for sure unless he decides to just quit basketball and school. The question is if he'll be back the year after. That us the decision he needs to make.

You can never have enough shooters. I for one am hoping we get him back for 2 more years. I was a little skeptical of him before the year but definitely liked what I saw from him before he got hurt.

Plus I really want to see this lineup next year.

CW - 6'6
PJ - 6'6
Baer - 6'7
DJ - 6'8
Uhl - 6'9

Very versatile on defense could switch almost all 5 spots, could run our press, and would have a lot of length for 2-3. Four shooters around Williams who still may develop a 3pt shot. Also, we've seen what kind of mismatch nightmare Dom can be against slower centers.

You can never have enough shooters. I for one am hoping we get him back for 2 more years. I was a little skeptical of him before the year but definitely liked what I saw from him before he got hurt.

CW - 6'6
PJ - 6'6
Baer - 6'7
DJ - 6'8
Uhl - 6'9

Very versatile on defense could switch almost all 5 spots, could run our press, and would have a lot of length for 2-3. Four shooters around Williams who still may develop a 3pt shot. Also, we've seen what kind of mismatch nightmare Dom can be against slower centers.

I'll take that lineup. Maybe substitute a Moss or a Cook. Plenty of weapons for Fran to reload with next year. I think we take a small step back, but still in the tourney. We are a tournament team for as long as Fran is our coach.... A bare minimum until Patrick graduates....in 2023.

I'll take that lineup. Maybe substitute a Moss or a Cook. Plenty of weapons for Fran to reload with next year. I think we take a small step back, but still in the tourney. We are a tournament team for as long as Fran is our coach.... A bare minimum until Patrick graduates....in 2023.

Baer is a good player, but I don't see him as a starter. There is going to be a lot of competition next year. Baer has an experience advantage, but I can see guys that appear to have more potential. With another year on the weights, who knows what he might be next year though.

yeah baer seems good in spurts. I think he would be better served off the bench for a spark

Williams is going to have to show some more as a PG. He hasn't had many opportunities this year, but he also hasn't gained any confidence from what I've seen.

With the athleticism of next years team, I think Iowa will press a lot more than they have in the past. There should be plenty of minutes to go around. The Iowa press bothered Northwestern, and they should be a more dangerous defensive team next year. I think they will have the ability to score a ton off of turnovers next year.

CW - 6'6
PJ - 6'6
Baer - 6'7
DJ - 6'8
Uhl - 6'9

Don't forget Tyler Cook. If he's as good as advertised, he'll see the floor early and often. Considering other Frosh that started under Fran (help me out here...Woody? White? Marble?) he'd seem to be in line to do so.

Last edited:
Don't forget Tyler Cook. If he's as good as advertised, he'll see the floor early and often. Considering other Frosh that started under Fran (help me out here...Woody? White? Marble?) he'd seem to be in line to do so.

Basabe, Gesell and I am sure I missing someone else.

CW - 6'6
PJ - 6'6
Baer - 6'7
DJ - 6'8
Uhl - 6'9

Correction: I fully expect Tyler Cook to start, I just like that lineup in spurts due to the three point shooting and length.