Iowa's Gesell going through growing pains - siouxcityjournal.com

HawkeyeHypnosis

Iowa's Gesell going through growing pains

From article:

If anything, Gesell believes the challenge presented by Armstead demonstrated to him the need to become more assertive at times.

“At the end of the game, I blew by him once and was able to drive it,’’ Gesell said. “In that situation again, I know that I should be able to get to the basket or get myself to the free-throw line and I’m good with either one.’’

Last edited:
Past history tells me to take a players self analysis with a grain of salt. I think he will be a great player for Iowa and he may be able to apply the things he talks about to his game but how many times have players given a self analysis of themselves and what they need to do and then fail to do it? Case in point we saw that same kind of talk this past spring, summer, and fall from a senior on the football team and he turned out to be a major bust and probably the biggest disappointment on the team. Kids would be better served to talk less and quietly put in the time and dedication needed to improve. Then let their performance on the field or court do their talking for them. Love Gesell and think he going to be a great player but just saying.........

Past history tells me to take a players self analysis with a grain of salt. I think he will be a great player for Iowa and he may be able to apply the things he talks about to his game but how many times have players given a self analysis of themselves and what they need to do and then fail to do it? Case in point we saw that same kind of talk this past spring, summer, and fall from a senior on the football team and he turned out to be a major bust and probably the biggest disappointment on the team. Kids would be better served to talk less and quietly put in the time and dedication needed to improve. Then let their performance on the field or court do their talking for them. Love Gesell and think he going to be a great player but just saying.........

Agree. Was going to say same thing.

Just out of curiosity, what does future history tell you?

Iowa's Gesell going through growing pains

From article:

If anything, Gesell believes the challenge presented by Armstead demonstrated to him the need to become more assertive at times.

“At the end of the game, I blew by him once and was able to drive it,’’ Gesell said. “In that situation again, I know that I should be able to get to the basket or get myself to the free-throw line and I’m good with either one.’’

I have been saying Mike needs to be more aggressive. He is a scoring PG and at times seems to be trying to hard to just facilitate and get others involved. I would like to see him look for more scoring opportunities for himself. I think he is quick enough to get defenders on their heels and hit that nice pull up jump shot he has. I think he is quicker than people give him credit for as well. I think he is a solid ball handler and should get better with his handle.

I would like to see him get some more shots up. I don't like to see one of the few players who can create offense for them self looking to pass too much (Marble, Gesell, maybe Ingram (have not seen enough of him yet to say what his offensive playmaking ability is).

Mike will be fine just needs to get used to tougher on ball pressure and needs to look to shoot more.

images

This article is way off. Herby has repeatedly said that Gesell should have no problem duplicating the year that Trey Burke had as a freshman PG last year. Amateurs.

White had that 1 good game against super power Chicago ST. and then fell off for awhile , he ended the saeason starting the last 11 games of the BT season and all the post season games
and he ended up a Freshmen AA. to say Gesell can't or won't improve from day one to the end of the season is dumb

and just for the record, Iused Burke as a measuring guide to show what Gesell "COULD DO" not "WOULD DO"
i just love how people "LIE" about what i supposedly said

Just out of curiosity, what does future history tell you?

Lol, ok I give this a try. Next season with the experienced players Iowa will have back they will finish no worse than fourth place in the conference. The year after that they will maintain a forth place finish or better inspite of losing three key seniors from the previous years team. The year after that as seniors Gesell and company will win the Big Ten conference and the Big Ten Tournament and take Iowa to a final four for the first time since Ronnie Lester and company did it. Yah that's the ticket. That's my story and I am sticking with it. :)

and just for the record, I used Burke as a measuring guide to show what Gesell "COULD DO" not "WOULD DO"
i just love how people "LIE" about what i supposedly said

Herb, perhaps this would be a good place to tell these yoo-hoos about Olaseni being the defensive MVP of the christian school jamboree and weenie roast.

Herb, perhaps this would be a good place to tell these yoo-hoos about Olaseni being the defensive MVP of the christian school jamboree and weenie roast.
1st was the Defensive MVP AWAR,
2nd it was the NATIONAL Christin Academy CHAMPIONSHIPS, team from the country associated with THE CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION play in this.

Clemmons is much more comfortable and, IMO, capable, of driving and finishing at the rim. I like Gessel a lot, think he will be a fine player, but wonder if he wouldn't be a better fit at the 2. He may be our best perimeter shooter and we desperately need someone to knock some jumpers down. No doubt he is adjusting to guarding and being guarded by guys that are exponentially more athletic than he has ever seen. I see why Armstead was so highly regarded coming out of junior college. He would have been a nice get for Iowa.

Latest posts