Iowa's current recruiting ranking according to this site

11th in the Big Ten
66th Nationally
Not that recruiting doesn't matter, because it definitely does, but it doesn't really matter that much at Iowa. It's more of a developmental program.

in 2020 we had the 11th ranked B1G class - finished 3rd
in 2019 we had the 11th ranked B1G class - finished 5th
in 2018 we had the 12th ranked B1G class - finished 6th
In 2017 we had our best class of the last 4 years, ranked 9th - but we finished 11th. That's kind of the outlier season as if we continue to go down the years until we get to Fran's first few you will always see the team finish well beyond where their program ranked in the recruiting rankings.

It's always been one of my big pro Fran arguments, he, for the most part, always finishes way above his recruiting rankings as well as comparative to what he's paid vs the rest of the conference.

He hasn't got out of the first weekend in the NCAA though and ultimately, that's all that really matters. I think he will - I think he will do it in the next 3 to 4 seasons. I am one that doesn't think the cupboard is all that bare. Yes, they are losing a ton, but I am excited about what we have knowing how good our staff is at making players.

Not that recruiting doesn't matter, because it definitely does, but it doesn't really matter that much at Iowa. It's more of a developmental program.

in 2020 we had the 11th ranked B1G class - finished 3rd
in 2019 we had the 11th ranked B1G class - finished 5th
in 2018 we had the 12th ranked B1G class - finished 6th
In 2017 we had our best class of the last 4 years, ranked 9th - but we finished 11th. That's kind of the outlier season as if we continue to go down the years until we get to Fran's first few you will always see the team finish well beyond where their program ranked in the recruiting rankings.

It's always been one of my big pro Fran arguments, he, for the most part, always finishes way above his recruiting rankings as well as comparative to what he's paid vs the rest of the conference.

He hasn't got out of the first weekend in the NCAA though and ultimately, that's all that really matters. I think he will - I think he will do it in the next 3 to 4 seasons. I am one that doesn't think the cupboard is all that bare. Yes, they are losing a ton, but I am excited about what we have knowing how good our staff is at making players.
I definitely want to advance farther in the NCAA and personally believe that’s coming sooner rather than later. But that’s not all that matters to me. I really enjoy top 6 conference seasons with 20+ wins. If I have to choose between a Sweet 16 every 3 or 4 years with a couple rebuilding years in between or consistently making the tournament, winning 20 or more games and winning an NCAA game...I choose the latter. In the dance means there’s a chance.

Just reiterating that

the 11th, 11th, 12th and 9th best recruiting classes was coached up to tie the schools highest seed in program history. They lost, but it's proof that Iowa can get there and they can even get there without massive recruiting classes if they have a good coach.

Recruiting rankings are like preseason rankings...they're fun to pass the time with but take 'em with a grain of salt.
The only stat that matters is in the end is W/L

Just reiterating that

the 11th, 11th, 12th and 9th best recruiting classes was coached up to tie the schools highest seed in program history. They lost, but it's proof that Iowa can get there and they can even get there without massive recruiting classes if they have a good coach.
That 2 seed....sadly...a mirage....no? Turns out those classes in their most veteran years produce weekend exits thus far.

86/87 Iowa was most definitely a 2 seed.....maybe even a 1 level.

That 2 seed....sadly...a mirage....no? Turns out those classes in their most veteran years produce weekend exits thus far.

86/87 Iowa was most definitely a 2 seed.....maybe even a 1 level.
It's only a mirage if you don't believe in things like upsets, off nights, and nights where your opponent hits on all cylinders. I only watched Oregon play us and most of the USC game. They looked unreal in one and decent in the other. For all I know Iowa would have beat them 7 out of 10 times. I do know it's possible to get smoked by a team you can beat 7 out of 10 times because I watched Ohio State get smoked by Iowa a few years ago in football. Shit happens. Its pretty short sighted to call an entire season a mirage because of one game that could have easily been a fluke or a choke job.

Serious question. How many power5 coaches don’t make it to the sweet 16 in 11 years and still have their job?
My guess is not too many.
yeah i know i can find the information myself but 11 f’n years!?

I definitely want to advance farther in the NCAA and personally believe that’s coming sooner rather than later. But that’s not all that matters to me. I really enjoy top 6 conference seasons with 20+ wins. If I have to choose between a Sweet 16 every 3 or 4 years with a couple rebuilding years in between or consistently making the tournament, winning 20 or more games and winning an NCAA game...I choose the latter. In the dance means there’s a chance.
Yea I enjoy watching Iowa basketball also, but I would like to believe 6th place finishes are not what we are playing for. I think most that participate or even watch sports want to watch the nets come down not wait to see if we are on the bubble and who we might get thumped by in the second game of the tournament
Does recruiting make the difference? Of course it does. Is McCaffrey and his staff good recruiters? NO Will we break through (soon) with a championship or good run in the tournament? How could anyone think that when we have not done it for the past 11 years under McCaffrey and frankly next year and beyond look to be difficult at best

Serious question. How many power5 coaches don’t make it to the sweet 16 in 11 years and still have their job?
My guess is not too many.
yeah i know i can find the information myself but 11 f’n years!?

Great point actually!

1618405169409.png

Last edited:
The grumblings in this thread are giving me flashbacks to the Tom Davis era. Some people felt Mr. Davis wasn't good enough and they needed to take the next step. We then got to suffer through the Alford and Lickliter years. I don't want to go through that bullshit again, I'll take the 20 win seasons and annual NCAA tournament bids over Alford and Lick.

I've said this before but I think Fran has just as good a chance or better of making us a better program than we are now that a random Barta hire. Especially after running off a coach that has won at Fran's level. Any coaching candidate would think "wow what Fran did wasn't good enough? At a place like Iowa?"

It's only a mirage if you don't believe in things like upsets, off nights, and nights where your opponent hits on all cylinders. I only watched Oregon play us and most of the USC game. They looked unreal in one and decent in the other. For all I know Iowa would have beat them 7 out of 10 times. I do know it's possible to get smoked by a team you can beat 7 out of 10 times because I watched Ohio State get smoked by Iowa a few years ago in football. Shit happens. Its pretty short sighted to call an entire season a mirage because of one game that could have easily been a fluke or a choke job.
Fair points. Still a big time bummer. However, looking at the entire Big Ten's performance, there still might be something to a mirage.

The grumblings in this thread are giving me flashbacks to the Tom Davis era. Some people felt Mr. Davis wasn't good enough and they needed to take the next step. We then got to suffer through the Alford and Lickliter years. I don't want to go through that bullshit again, I'll take the 20 win seasons and annual NCAA tournament bids over Alford and Lick.
This.

I've said this before but I think Fran has just as good a chance or better of making us a better program than we are now that a random Barta hire. Especially after running off a coach that has won at Fran's level. Any coaching candidate would think "wow what Fran did wasn't good enough? At a place like Iowa?"
And this.

It wasn't a mirage, Iowa earned that 2 seed. They didn't ultimately live up to it, but what they did to get there wasn't a mirage, it was a deserving seed for a team with their resume. Let's say Iowa gets a different draw, it could have gone completely different...let's say if Oregon got upset by VCU instead of being allowed to advance without a game. Or let's say, they had to at least PLAY VCU and they weren't as fresh against Iowa? That's why I don't put that much stock in a 1 off game where the loser goes home. It's also why it's shocking Iowa hasn't just lucked into a Sweet 16 these last 20 years. The whole point of this is that we need to be going to the dance with consistency to continually give you a higher rate to advance. Iowa wasn't there until like the last 6 or so seasons ago and frankly they weren't close. Iowa is there now. I like now.

It wasn't a mirage, Iowa earned that 2 seed. They didn't ultimately live up to it, but what they did to get there wasn't a mirage, it was a deserving seed for a team with their resume. Let's say Iowa gets a different draw, it could have gone completely different...let's say if Oregon got upset by VCU instead of being allowed to advance without a game. Or let's say, they had to at least PLAY VCU and they weren't as fresh against Iowa? That's why I don't put that much stock in a 1 off game where the loser goes home. It's also why it's shocking Iowa hasn't just lucked into a Sweet 16 these last 20 years. The whole point of this is that we need to be going to the dance with consistency to continually give you a higher rate to advance. Iowa wasn't there until like the last 6 or so seasons ago and frankly they weren't close. Iowa is there now. I like now.
Fair points as well. I do think a case could be made that Big Ten was over-seeded (in hindsight, including Iowa) based on the results. But, going off the numbers, Iowa got a 2 seed based on the information the committee knew at the time (Iowa given a 2 seed based on their body of work). Hence, the mirage in hindsight.

However, compared to 86/87 Iowa......that team most certainly looked the part in regular season and the tournament. If anything, they under-achieved. Despite having a close game with UTEP I believe.

Back to the thread= While a team like Mich. "leads" the league in evaluation points by landing 6 recruits, that also means a younger, less cohesive team with less experience than the others.
Don't put a lot of stock in these kinds of "rankings". Most of the other teams [including us] only signed 2 players. Many more will follow with the portal and waiting to see how many schollies each team winds up with.
We can see how important it is to have experience. It took us to a 3rd place B1G finish, a #2 seed this year, and a 14-6 conf. record.

Latest posts