IowaLaw's Post Game Review: Michigan

IowaLawWasRight

Ouch. In what some were touting as Iowa's biggest game since the Big 10 Championship, you would think boy wonder Brian would have spent extra time this week drawing up a game plan to catch Michigan off guard. In stead, we scored a grand total of 3 points in a 10-3 loss.

1. Defense. The game ball this week undoubtedly goes to the defense. Geno Stone stepped up like Iowa DBs have in years past in big games. Shea Patterson was held to just 147 yards passing to those 5 star WRs. The RBs were stuffed for the most part as well (aside from Tru Wilson, who only got 4 carries for some reason). The defense can hold Top 25 teams to 10 points in spite of one of the worst offensive performances since Beathard's last game. That's saying something.

2. Stanley. Welp, I've been saying it for years. Stanley is a stat machine when it comes to torching cupcake opponents...but in tight games where his leadership and grit are tested, he folds like a wet napkin. 23 of 42 for 260 yrds, 0 TDs and 3 interceptions will result in a loss 90% of the time, regardless of opponent. But perhaps more disappointing was the decision making. Standing back there like a statue during blitzes. Taking 8 sacks rather than throwing the ball away with the game on the line. An intentional grounding penalty and a delay of game penalty is amateur randying around, especially for a 3 year starter who has played more games than nearly any Iowa QB in the Ferentz era. Stanley will have stats that keep him in the record books, but he will be quickly forgotten like a Jake Rudock.

3. Nico Ragaini. I've been calling for Nico's benching since week 1. However, this week he stepped up his game perhaps more than anyone else. The Hawks put a second guy back there to help, and Nico FINALLY stopped running away from punts. Not only did he catch punts, he even ran balls back after the catch. Michigan has a big legged punter who outkicked his coverage and Nico made them pay. 4 returns for 54 yards is his best game as a Hawk, and 6 receptions for 46 yards kept Iowa in the game.

4. Epa-no-show. Iowa needed their all American DE show up to pressure Michigan's QB. Instead, he was mostly shut out of the game. Was he double teamed? Sometimes, but not much. Every time I focused on AJ, he would bull rush a single tackle, then run entirely to the outside of the pocket, taking himself out of the play. AJ picked up just his second sack of the year (he had 10.5 last year and 4 forced fumbles), he had just 2 tackles all day and was out shined by his DL peers Golston (8 tackles, 2 for loss) and Lattimore (4 tackles and bottled up the middle).

5. Goodson. Goodson is the future of Iowa football. He may even find himself the starter next week. He led the team with 62 yrds receiving. More impressively, he made catches only a WR could make and showed moves we have not seen since Wadley Iowa got away from the run early (even though Young was averaging 5 yrds per carry), and it's unclear how the game would have turned out with a heavier dose of Goodson and Young.

6. Sleep Dalton. Iowa's feel good newcomer of the year story pulled a Stanley in his first game at a big time stadium against a big time opponent. Coming into the game as the Big 10's punting leader, Sleep Dalton shanked at least 2 punts when it counted most. He ended up averaging just 38 yards per punt (very Rastatter-esque), while also giving up a touch back and a huge punt return for a net punting average of way less than that. In a 7 point loss, punting can be the difference in a win and a loss.

For once I agree on almost all of this except dont be so goofy to suggest that Sleep Dalton allowed that big punt return when their guy caught it at the 4 yard line. Our gunners and punt coverage went to sleep (haha the pun) with what could have been a tackle at their 5 yard line.

Ouch. In what some were touting as Iowa's biggest game since the Big 10 Championship, you would think boy wonder Brian would have spent extra time this week drawing up a game plan to catch Michigan off guard. In stead, we scored a grand total of 3 points in a 10-3 loss.

1. Defense. The game ball this week undoubtedly goes to the defense. Geno Stone stepped up like Iowa DBs have in years past in big games. Shea Patterson was held to just 147 yards passing to those 5 star WRs. The RBs were stuffed for the most part as well (aside from Tru Wilson, who only got 4 carries for some reason). The defense can hold Top 25 teams to 10 points in spite of one of the worst offensive performances since Beathard's last game. That's saying something.

2. Stanley. Welp, I've been saying it for years. Stanley is a stat machine when it comes to torching cupcake opponents...but in tight games where his leadership and grit are tested, he folds like a wet napkin. 23 of 42 for 260 yrds, 0 TDs and 3 interceptions will result in a loss 90% of the time, regardless of opponent. But perhaps more disappointing was the decision making. Standing back there like a statue during blitzes. Taking 8 sacks rather than throwing the ball away with the game on the line. An intentional grounding penalty and a delay of game penalty is amateur randying around, especially for a 3 year starter who has played more games than nearly any Iowa QB in the Ferentz era. Stanley will have stats that keep him in the record books, but he will be quickly forgotten like a Jake Rudock.

3. Nico Ragaini. I've been calling for Nico's benching since week 1. However, this week he stepped up his game perhaps more than anyone else. The Hawks put a second guy back there to help, and Nico FINALLY stopped running away from punts. Not only did he catch punts, he even ran balls back after the catch. Michigan has a big legged punter who outkicked his coverage and Nico made them pay. 4 returns for 54 yards is his best game as a Hawk, and 6 receptions for 46 yards kept Iowa in the game.

4. Epa-no-show. Iowa needed their all American DE show up to pressure Michigan's QB. Instead, he was mostly shut out of the game. Was he double teamed? Sometimes, but not much. Every time I focused on AJ, he would bull rush a single tackle, then run entirely to the outside of the pocket, taking himself out of the play. AJ picked up just his second sack of the year (he had 10.5 last year and 4 forced fumbles), he had just 2 tackles all day and was out shined by his DL peers Golston (8 tackles, 2 for loss) and Lattimore (4 tackles and bottled up the middle).

5. Goodson. Goodson is the future of Iowa football. He may even find himself the starter next week. He led the team with 62 yrds receiving. More impressively, he made catches only a WR could make and showed moves we have not seen since Wadley Iowa got away from the run early (even though Young was averaging 5 yrds per carry), and it's unclear how the game would have turned out with a heavier dose of Goodson and Young.

6. Sleep Dalton. Iowa's feel good newcomer of the year story pulled a Stanley in his first game at a big time stadium against a big time opponent. Coming into the game as the Big 10's punting leader, Sleep Dalton shanked at least 2 punts when it counted most. He ended up averaging just 38 yards per punt (very Rastatter-esque), while also giving up a touch back and a huge punt return for a net punting average of way less than that. In a 7 point loss, punting can be the difference in a win and a loss.

I want so hard to disagree, but Iowa law is unfortunately right on track with his points. At this rate geno stone may be drafted ahead of AJE. Geno could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick and AJE is definitely sliding out if the first round. Geno is starting to ball hawk like hooker last year.

I want so hard to disagree, but Iowa law is unfortunately right on track with his points. At this rate geno stone may be drafted ahead of AJE. Geno could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick and AJE is definitely sliding out if the first round. Geno is starting to ball hawk like hooker last year.
Cash him. Why not?

So NFL teams whos livelihood depend on identifying college talent will draft him but you don't think he's NFL ready.

OK.
I think NFL teams will draft him on physical ability and potential, but no one with a pulse could be watching him play for the last five games and say, "Yeah, that's a top-30 draft pick." He's been a non-factor even against bad teams.

2. Stanley. Welp, I've been saying it for years. Stanley is a stat machine when it comes to torching cupcake opponents...but in tight games where his leadership and grit are tested, he folds like a wet napkin. .

A shining example of how stats can be deceiving. Deer in the headlights. Obviously not a strong leader in the huddle. Not a play maker. No NFL team will waste a draft pick on him...well, other than the Vikings who's GM appears to have some kind of brain damage.

1. Defense. They were ridiculous today as always. What a game from this group.

2. Stanley. other than its more like 99% of the time I agree with you here. he is not a guy, who in big games, will go win you a game. they need him to be, he's not. he's a great guy, a really good qb, but in big games, in tight spots when you need him to go win a game, he won't.

3. Nico Ragaini. yep

4. Epa-no-show. again, stats lie. he had pressure on them most of the day, and multiple times I saw and ed podalak called out in the broadcast he had 2-3 guys on him, including multiple plays where the tackle, tight end and running back from the back field all got on him.

5. Goodson. Goodson is the soon to be present of Iowa football.

6. Sleep Dalton. The punt return wasn't on him, he punted it to the 3, where the returner should have been tackled. our gunners let him by which is why he got the big return. Dalton wasn't the hawk asleep on the big return.

as always, thanks for throwing it out there

I watched the game and AJE had an ok game but he is no game changer. If he had 3 guys on him we would've owned the line of scrimmage.

Imo he needs to be stronger to be a bigger factor.

We're back to reality. D is good, O is not. Our MOO yesterday today and tomorrow.

Our WRs were overmatched and not getting open. On top of that, the officials weren’t calling holding or pass interference. That no call on Oliver Martin was absolutely egregious. Michigan could easily cover man to man and blitz every play. If Stanley had Michigan’s WRs we win by 3 TDS. It’s amazing he went for 260 yards really.

Our WRs were overmatched and not getting open. On top of that, the officials weren’t calling holding or pass interference. That no call on Oliver Martin was absolutely egregious. Michigan could easily cover man to man and blitz every play. If Stanley had Michigan’s WRs we win by 3 TDS. It’s amazing he went for 260 yards really.
When the ball is declared uncatchable, there is no call to be made.

The player guarding Martin could have tied a rope around Oliver's ankles and there would have been no flag.

That was on Stanley who was obviously trying to throw it away but also took defensive holding/pass interference out of play as well.

When the ball is declared uncatchable, there is no call to be made.

The player guarding Martin could have tied a rope around Oliver's ankles and there would have been no flag.

That was on Stanley who was obviously trying to throw it away but also took defensive holding/pass interference out of play as well.
It’s hard to catch if you’re not allowed to jump. I bet Oliver Martin can dunk a basketball and that ball wasn’t close to that high. It certainly was holding.

It’s hard to catch if you’re not allowed to jump. I bet Oliver Martin can dunk a basketball and that ball wasn’t close to that high. It certainly was holding.
I'm not arguing any of this other than the only opinion that matters in a judgement call, right or wrong, is that of the man wearing the stripes.

Stanley helped lower the chances of drawing the flag by whipping that pass into the trombone section but he did save three points by not getting it picked, which I'm sure the coaches reminded him of about 697 times.

John Madden, who knows more about football than you and I combined, said for decades that officials would underestimate the speed or athletic ability of players in catchable vs uncatchable ball situations like that, Martin's leaping ability being a perfect example.

I'm not arguing any of this other than the only opinion that matters in a judgement call, right or wrong, is that of the man wearing the stripes.

Stanley helped lower the chances of drawing the flag by whipping that pass into the trombone section but he did save three points by not getting it picked, which I'm sure the coaches reminded him of about 697 times.

John Madden, who knows more about football than you and I combined, said for decades that officials would underestimate the speed or athletic ability of players in catchable vs uncatchable ball situations like that, Martin's leaping ability being a perfect example.
That’s fine. I’m arguing against the refs “judgement”. I think he could have caught it but we or the ref will never know because he wasn’t allowed to jump. The ball landed about 9 feet out of bounds, hardly in the trombone section. Every coach on the Iowa sidelines including KF was going nuts. Also, if it’s holding, I’m not sure the ball has to be catchable.

Latest posts