IowaLaw's Post Game Report: Rutgers

IowaLawWasRight

The Hawks are hitting their stride going into ISU week with a dominant 30-0 performance. Granted, it was against the Big 10's worst team, but there wasn't much randying around to improve upon this week. 3 of the next 4 games are against ranked opponents, so there's much work to be done.

1. We Have A Punter - Welcome to the Midwest, Mr. Sleep-Dalton. 6 punts for an average of 48 yards! What a huge recruit for a roster spot that had been Iowa's weakest the past 2 years. By comparison, Rastetter averaged a nation's worst 36.9 yards in 2017 and 38 yrds in 2018. As Rutgers proved, a good punter can go a long way in the field position game.

2. We Have No Punt Returner - Last week I mocked the coaching staff's choice for punt returner and questioned why we wouldn't put someone electric like Smith Marsette back there. This week's performance by Nico was even worse. Not only does he run away from catchable balls then watch them roll 20 extra yards inside our own 10 yard line, but he fair catches balls standing on his own 5 yard line rather than letting them go. He fair catches when there are 10 yards of open field ahead of him. I'm hopeful that Nico will be a key contributor at WR over his career, but I think we've seen enough of him as a punt returner.

3. O-Line Dominated - This week, the depleted O-Line completely over matched Rutgers' smaller and weaker D-Line. Our RBs averaged 6 yrds per carry, and Nate Stanley had all day to scan the field and throw the ball. Their dominance was perhaps most apparent by the huge push they got every time Stanley needed to pick up 1 yard with a sneak and gained 5

4. WRs Finally Had a Solid Game - I cannot remember the last time Iowa's WRs looked so good. While their productivity is no doubt due in part to a downgrade in talent at the TE position (TEs had a combined ZERO catches in Mr. "Architect of the Patriots TE coaching's" offense), but it's clear that this year's WRs are getting more separation, have better speed, and are catching most of the balls thrown their way. Smith-Marsette, Smith, Tracey, and Ragaini combined for 12 catches (we had games last year where the WRs totaled just 2-3 catches), with Marsette gaining 113 yards and 2 TDs. Unfortunately, Marsette was shut out of special teams duties by his coaches.

5. Poor Clock Management Enters Its Third Decade Under Kirk - Say what you will about Kirk Ferentz, a borderline hall of fame college coach. One seemingly simple aspect of football that has plagued each of his teams involves brains over brawn. In this week's end of first half edition, Iowa had first down from Rutgers' 20 yard line with 2:50 to go and 2 timeouts left. One play later we were on the 11 yard line. In spite of this, Iowa ended up forcing a field goal as the clock expired on first and goal, leaving 4 pts on the board. How does a coach making nearly $5,000,000 per year flub clock management so badly? Either our 3rd year starting QB simply didn't have the wherewithal to notice the clock ticking down (and he clearly didn't, running the play clock down to 2 seconds left in his final 2 plays), or Kirk just didn't know any better. Either way, there are junior high powder puff coaches that could have handled clock management better in that situation.

6. AJE is Back - After being shut out of the stat sheet last week, the coaching staff finally anticipated Epenesa double teams, called some stunts, and let Epenesa do what he does best: disrupt QBs. He had 3 tackles, including a sack, but had at least 5 or 6 QB hurries and hits. If Goldston can continue to up his game, these guys are going to be dangerous.

7. Stanley Throws TD Passes - It's clear by now that despite the pumpkin pie hair cut and shy personality, Stanley cares about his stats and loves throwing TD passes. His 16-28 for 236 was mediocre by Big 10 standards (Purdue's QB was 34-52 for 509; Maryland's was 28-39 for 330; OSU's was 20-25 for 224, and Indiana's is currently 13-14 for 226 yrds in 3 quarters), but once we are inside the 5 yard line, it's pass time for Nate so that he can get that TD pass. Next week, Stanley could move into 2nd place all time in touchdown passes. Is he the 2nd best QB in Iowa history? Until he starts consistently throwing the ball down the field, improving his ball placement, and playing well in close games, he will not even crack the Mount Rushmore of Hawkeye QBs.

The Hawks are hitting their stride going into ISU week with a dominant 30-0 performance. Granted, it was against the Big 10's worst team, but there wasn't much randying around to improve upon this week. 3 of the next 4 games are against ranked opponents, so there's much work to be done.

1. We Have A Punter - Welcome to the Midwest, Mr. Sleep-Dalton. 6 punts for an average of 48 yards! What a huge recruit for a roster spot that had been Iowa's weakest the past 2 years. By comparison, Rastetter averaged a nation's worst 36.9 yards in 2017 and 38 yrds in 2018. As Rutgers proved, a good punter can go a long way in the field position game.

2. We Have No Punt Returner - Last week I mocked the coaching staff's choice for punt returner and questioned why we wouldn't put someone electric like Smith Marsette back there. This week's performance by Nico was even worse. Not only does he run away from catchable balls then watch them roll 20 extra yards inside our own 10 yard line, but he fair catches balls standing on his own 5 yard line rather than letting them go. He fair catches when there are 10 yards of open field ahead of him. I'm hopeful that Nico will be a key contributor at WR over his career, but I think we've seen enough of him as a punt returner.

3. O-Line Dominated - This week, the depleted O-Line completely over matched Rutgers' smaller and weaker D-Line. Our RBs averaged 6 yrds per carry, and Nate Stanley had all day to scan the field and throw the ball. Their dominance was perhaps most apparent by the huge push they got every time Stanley needed to pick up 1 yard with a sneak and gained 5

4. WRs Finally Had a Solid Game - I cannot remember the last time Iowa's WRs looked so good. While their productivity is no doubt due in part to a downgrade in talent at the TE position (TEs had a combined ZERO catches in Mr. "Architect of the Patriots TE coaching's" offense), but it's clear that this year's WRs are getting more separation, have better speed, and are catching most of the balls thrown their way. Smith-Marsette, Smith, Tracey, and Ragaini combined for 12 catches (we had games last year where the WRs totaled just 2-3 catches), with Marsette gaining 113 yards and 2 TDs. Unfortunately, Marsette was shut out of special teams duties by his coaches.

5. Poor Clock Management Enters Its Third Decade Under Kirk - Say what you will about Kirk Ferentz, a borderline hall of fame college coach. One seemingly simple aspect of football that has plagued each of his teams involves brains over brawn. In this week's end of first half edition, Iowa had first down from Rutgers' 20 yard line with 2:50 to go and 2 timeouts left. One play later we were on the 11 yard line. In spite of this, Iowa ended up forcing a field goal as the clock expired on first and goal, leaving 4 pts on the board. How does a coach making nearly $5,000,000 per year flub clock management so badly? Either our 3rd year starting QB simply didn't have the wherewithal to notice the clock ticking down (and he clearly didn't, running the play clock down to 2 seconds left in his final 2 plays), or Kirk just didn't know any better. Either way, there are junior high powder puff coaches that could have handled clock management better in that situation.

6. AJE is Back - After being shut out of the stat sheet last week, the coaching staff finally anticipated Epenesa double teams, called some stunts, and let Epenesa do what he does best: disrupt QBs. He had 3 tackles, including a sack, but had at least 5 or 6 QB hurries and hits. If Goldston can continue to up his game, these guys are going to be dangerous.

7. Stanley Throws TD Passes - It's clear by now that despite the pumpkin pie hair cut and shy personality, Stanley cares about his stats and loves throwing TD passes. His 16-28 for 236 was mediocre by Big 10 standards (Purdue's QB was 34-52 for 509; Maryland's was 28-39 for 330; OSU's was 20-25 for 224, and Indiana's is currently 13-14 for 226 yrds in 3 quarters), but once we are inside the 5 yard line, it's pass time for Nate so that he can get that TD pass. Next week, Stanley could move into 2nd place all time in touchdown passes. Is he the 2nd best QB in Iowa history? Until he starts consistently throwing the ball down the field, improving his ball placement, and playing well in close games, he will not even crack the Mount Rushmore of Hawkeye QBs.

Just stop this garbage.

You suck shit at this and there are ways of trolling that are less work.

He nailed point #5. The end of the 1st half was probably the worst clock management I've ever seen from KF and that's saying something.

Its not a matter of "if" it will happen again, rather a "when" it will happen again. Hopefully it isn't against a team with a pulse. It will likely cost Iowa big time.

He nailed point #5. The end of the 1st half was probably the worst clock management I've ever seen from KF and that's saying something.

Its not a matter of "if" it will happen again, rather a "when" it will happen again. Hopefully it isn't against a team with a pulse. It will likely cost Iowa big time.
You’re encouraging this dirtbag to keep doing his blog posts.

This. Don’t directly address the post. Shit post this guy and maybe he’ll quit.

I just wonder what in Iowa Law's mind makes him think that he is some high and mighty, I know everything and I know more than you you do that makes him posts these threads? What makes him qualified to make these posts, is he a professional expert, a professional sports beat writer? To me he is just some Joe Blow who acts like he knows more than everyone else on here. Just look at his user name, according to him he's always right. He's an ego maniac.

Yeah, but even pro KF guys like me know that that was absolutely terrible clock management. And it's one of the things that has been indefensible forever. His posts are bs. He's a swoop in troll.

I just wonder what in Iowa Law's mind makes him think that he is some high and mighty, I know everything and I know more than you you do that makes him posts these threads? What makes him qualified to make these posts, is he a professional expert, a professional sports beat writer? To me he is just some Joe Blow who acts like he knows more than everyone else on here. Just look at his user name, according to him he's always right. He's an ego maniac.
Always right, despite being wrong so frequently. Point 7 this week is especially ridiculous, but his act is pretty tired at this point.

He is wrong about the punt returns, Nico did OK, they punted away from him all day, the only thing that worked was when Iowa put two guys back.

Mediocre? His completion percentage today was not great. But he threw some dimes today, too. He's clearly been coached to throw to draw the pass interference calls when he sees them, so three of those that we didn't get the call on were acceptable, there were three drops. If he gets those back that's 19/25. Plus he sat nearly the entire 4th quarter.

Did you think Petras looked better today?

This. Don’t directly address the post. Shit post this guy and maybe he’ll quit.

I don't know. To do that, I'd have to expend way too much creativity on shitposting this guy. IowaLaw seems to be able to shitpost effortlessly. He just consolidates all that shit in his head into one stupendous megapile, hits that post button, and voila... shitpost.

Last edited:
Does your clock management need to be on point against Rutgers? Or can ya just kind of let it ride and work on shit? Dumbest fans in the country
Clock management should be good against anyone. I don't feel fans are wrong to be upset about this. The announcers should be objective about this and point it out. Kirk has left many points on the field over the years that have cost the Hawks some big wins. With the massive coaching, grad student, and volunteer staff at his disposal, someone should be responsible to manage the game clock. Quality of opponent should not be a factor in the quality of clock management.

I remember the first year I seen his blog. There's no way it's the same writer as then right? It use to be much more technical and informative. The recent ones are whatever, I appreciate the effort but yea feel like it's a different person.

Clock management should be good against anyone. I don't feel fans are wrong to be upset about this. The announcers should be objective about this and point it out. Kirk has left many points on the field over the years that have cost the Hawks some big wins. With the massive coaching, grad student, and volunteer staff at his disposal, someone should be responsible to manage the game clock. Quality of opponent should not be a factor in the quality of clock management.
I get it, but what’s it matter in a game you win 30-0. It literally means nothing

I get it, but what’s it matter in a game you win 30-0. It literally means nothing

I disagree. A mistake is a mistake, even if you get away with it. I've been a big critic of his clock management for years, but I've also been a big supporter of how much he's improved on it in recent years. But other people are right, that was one of the worst he's had. There's no excuse for running out of time like that when time wasn't even a factor at all 3 plays earlier.

It was bad clock management no doubt, it just didn’t matter in this game. The coaches probably know that too. Those are the type of games I’ll give some passes while the units are still figuring some things out. They grade themselves and they’re gonna see exactly what everyone else does in review. It needs to be better so I’ll agree with you guys on that. I was pretty happy with how our offense looked.

Latest posts