IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Northwestern

IowaLawWasRight

The Hawks spoiled 1-6 Northwestern's homecoming with a 20-0 victory. The defense pitched their 4th conference shutout in 2 years (the most in all of college football), but a competent offense probably should have put up more points (hell, Michigan State scored 31 against them).

1. DL Dominated - This was the best game all year for the DL. Nixon stood out with 5 tackles, 2 sacks, and a deflection. AJE stepped up against the run, for a change, and tallied 5 tackles (season high) and .5 sacks. Lattimore had 4 tackles and 1 sack, and Golston had an interception. The DL held NU to 35 rushes for 64 yards. That is an elite level defense. If they can play that well against Wisconsin's massive OL, the Hawks should be headed to Indianapolis this fall.

2. Questionable Personnel Decisions: Oliver/Goodson - Earlier this week, IowaLaw questioned how staff could continue keeping Oliver Martin, their top WR recruit in the past 20 years (136 yrds receiving and 1 td as a freshmen at Michigan last year) on the bench while playing Nico Ragaini almost every down. With Brandon Smith out, Martin was expected to finally get some reps. Wrong. He played just 2 snaps while Ragaini played the entire game, notching an impressive 4 drops. Similarly, Brian's brilliant game planning this week forgot that Tyler Goodson was on the roster, as he had just 1 carry in the entire first half. How is that possible? It's like watching Max Cooper play ahead of Noah Fant all over again.

3. Dillon Doyle Steps Up - I'll admit, I didn't think much of Doyle at first. He's a nepotism recruit who seemed outmatched in his first extended action last week. This week, however, he showed that he could hang with the big boys (or at least, Northwestern). He's just a freshmen, but racked up 7 tackles, a QB hurry, and some pretty big hits. Give the guy a few years in the program and he may turn some heads.

4. Stanley Underwhelms - Nate underperformed, even by his own standards. His 12-26 for 179 yards is an abysmal completion percentage (Ragaini didn't help), but more disappointing was the randying around on decision making. He dropped back to pass on 3rd down from Northwestern's 20 yard line, stood back there like a statue, and rather than throwing the ball away, clumsily took a huge sack that brought the ball beyond Duncan's comfortable range. Three points lost on a boneheaded play by a 3 year starter.

5. Sam LaPorta Debuts - Prior to this week, "tight end U" was averaging just one TE reception per game. With little buzz coming out of practice, LaPorta, a true freshmen with zero Power 5 scholarship offers, managed to jump ahead of some upper classmen on the depth chart (i.e. Cook) and showed glimpses of TJ Hockensen out there. 2 catches for 43 yards, and a 3rd deep ball catch that was taken away (in part because Stanley has no game sense and didn't hike the ball before the refs stopped play to review it) is a nice start to a career. Let's see more of this guy in the weeks to come.

6. Offensive Coordinator Is Offensive - We get it. When the head coach has been around for 21 years, he's entitled to hire his unqualified son and promote him on an annual basis. But is Brian getting the job done? The offense is now ranked 73-75th in the NCAA. Aside from the anemic stats, the continued clock management woes, and the generally boring style of unimaginative play, there are other reasons Brian might be better off in a less important role. At an "aw shucks," Iowa nice type of school where fans wave to sick kids in the hospital, it is inexplicable that a coach of his standing continues to throw expletive laden temper tantrums on the sidelines. Today's iteration resulted in a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Last edited:
How long has it been since we actually returned a punt,6 quarters?

Not one outside fade route to ISM. No jetsweep? The offense is changing fellas

Game plans have a little to do with who you were playing. The goal today was to play clean, not turn the ball over, not help out an anemic nw offense that had zero chance of driving down the field on you. The way nw wins this game, and the only way is if Iowa helps them. NW has some playmakers on defense, the team and even the defense isn't great, but they do have some playmakers and fitz has always been good at getting his guys to steal games against Iowa. The game plan today on the rain soaked field, was to not turn the ball over and let your defense win you the game. It was the right game plan. It wasn't sexy, but sexy is how nw beats Iowa. I have zero fault with the game plan today. But I get it, you guys see the Wisconsin game and think there's no way we beat wiscy this way, and you're right, but the game plan is different for them. Hopefully in two weeks when the team rolls out again, the guys come up with as good of a plan for wiscy as they did today. Hopefully the boys come out and have their best game of the year in two weeks. I'll say this, we need a healthy Goodson and a healthy Welch if were going to beat wiscy. I think the plan, after watching the entire wiscy vs Illinois in a bar in green bay, is Goodson has to be the main option all day right side. I said this in a previous post, Illinois just quick hit the offensive line before the hole closed with their fastest guys. A lot of it on that right side. Goodson's the only guy who can replicate that speed from our back field. Enjoy the win guys, get a rest this week. The seasons biggest game and we knew this preseason, is in a couple weeks.

I agree Nate under performed, but it was a rainy cold day and there were more than a few drops. Nate did as he always does, holding on the ball too long. Taking too long on his progressions. Overall though. I would give him a C grade. He didn't get the team in trouble and he made some good throws at crucial times.

The offensive line improved against a decent defensive front. They gave him a good pocket most of the time.

And how bout that LaPorta! Nice surprise there! Two big catches. (one called back tho) There were a couple of other TE catches also.

From what I can see, Oliver Martin isn't ready.

I agree Nate under performed, but it was a rainy cold day and there were more than a few drops. Nate did as he always does, holding on the ball too long. Taking too long on his progressions. Overall though. I would give him a C grade. He didn't get the team in trouble and he made some good throws at crucial times.

The offensive line improved against a decent defensive front. They gave him a good pocket most of the time.

And how bout that LaPorta! Nice surprise there! Two big catches. (one called back tho) There were a couple of other TE catches also.

From what I can see, Oliver Martin isn't ready.

From what you can see Oliver Martin isn’t ready lmao!! Yeah and Goodson must not be ready for a full game yet either huh. Lol

Watch Oliver Martin when he's out there. He's just limited. My guess is that at Wisconsin he may be on the field more. Goodson, needs to be used sparingly, he doesn't have the blitz pickups that well and he hasn't won the starting job. Right now he's in the rotation, seemingly in the number three spot. Next year when he's got more experience he has the potential to be the starting back. The reason Iowa has 3-4 backs in rotation is that they don't have one guy wh o has taken over the job,

Tyler Goodson utilization is absolutely mind boggling!!!!!

Ragaini didn’t deserve the reps he saw today!!
KF likes to use Sargent and Young in the first half of games. Then he’ll bring Goodsons fresh legs and speed, in the second half, for a change of pace. It’s working so far and Goodson seems to be doing well by it. Thought Martin should of seen a few more reps considering Ragaini’s drops. But that is unlike Ragaini to drop so many.

And how bout that LaPorta! Nice surprise there! Two big catches. (one called back tho) There were a couple of other TE catches also.QUOTE]

The catch called back was a pathetic misuse of the video replay. BF probably raised a legitimate stink over the false false start call a week prior and the refs were still butt hurt and leaning toward retribution. College refs are amateurish at best.

4. Stanley Underwhelms - Nate underperformed, even by his own standards. His 8-17 for 123 yards isn't great, but more disappointing was the randying around on decision making. He dropped back to pass on 3rd down from Northwestern's 20 yard line, stood back there like a statue, and rather than throwing the ball away, clumsily took a huge sack that brought the ball beyond Duncan's comfortable range. Three points lost on a boneheaded play by a 3 year starter.

What game were you watching? Stanley was 12-26 for 179. As you pointed out Ragaini had drops and LaPorta dropped that long pass (actually he didn't, but we got screwed on that overturn). Stanley should have been 16 of 26 for 255.

Last edited:
Watch Oliver Martin when he's out there. He's just limited. My guess is that at Wisconsin he may be on the field more. Goodson, needs to be used sparingly, he doesn't have the blitz pickups that well and he hasn't won the starting job. Right now he's in the rotation, seemingly in the number three spot. Next year when he's got more experience he has the potential to be the starting back. The reason Iowa has 3-4 backs in rotation is that they don't have one guy wh o has taken over the job,

I don't think Goodson should be used sparingly. A better way to say this is: Goodson, needs to used selectively, where he is put in a position that favors his strengths and minimizes deficiencies due to inexperience. They need to find ways to get Goodson open is space. Perhaps they should take a look through the plays they designed for Wadley and work in that direction.

Game plans have a little to do with who you were playing. The goal today was to play clean, not turn the ball over, not help out an anemic nw offense that had zero chance of driving down the field on you. The way nw wins this game, and the only way is if Iowa helps them. NW has some playmakers on defense, the team and even the defense isn't great, but they do have some playmakers and fitz has always been good at getting his guys to steal games against Iowa. The game plan today on the rain soaked field, was to not turn the ball over and let your defense win you the game. It was the right game plan. It wasn't sexy, but sexy is how nw beats Iowa. I have zero fault with the game plan today. But I get it, you guys see the Wisconsin game and think there's no way we beat wiscy this way, and you're right, but the game plan is different for them. Hopefully in two weeks when the team rolls out again, the guys come up with as good of a plan for wiscy as they did today. Hopefully the boys come out and have their best game of the year in two weeks. I'll say this, we need a healthy Goodson and a healthy Welch if were going to beat wiscy. I think the plan, after watching the entire wiscy vs Illinois in a bar in green bay, is Goodson has to be the main option all day right side. I said this in a previous post, Illinois just quick hit the offensive line before the hole closed with their fastest guys. A lot of it on that right side. Goodson's the only guy who can replicate that speed from our back field. Enjoy the win guys, get a rest this week. The seasons biggest game and we knew this preseason, is in a couple weeks.
Damn...another "opportunity" game looms for Kirk, Brian and Stanley, in Madison. Maybe pretend Iowa is 4-4 and heading to Middle Tennessee for an easy match-up, stat bloating game that means nothing.

KF likes to use Sargent and Young in the first half of games. Then he’ll bring Goodsons fresh legs and speed, in the second half, for a change of pace. It’s working so far and Goodson seems to be doing well by it. Thought Martin should of seen a few more reps considering Ragaini’s drops. But that is unlike Ragaini to drop so many.

I don't know if you can say "it's working so far" when the run game isn't working at all.

I get the game plan / opponent argument. That's exactly how it should be and how every team tries to do it.

I also understand that every team basically sticks to "their scheme" that, hopefully, they're pretty good at executing and has the right personnel to give you the best chance to win. From week to week, it comes down to minor tweaks that try to attack that opponent's weaknesses. At the same time, amidst the established game plan, you, hopefully, have also accounted for in-game "what-if" situations and have "plan B" that allows you to adapt to game flow.

The historical and perpetual issues that I've always bitched about with the Ferentz regime is that they are SO dogmatic to their scheme and SO committed to their personnel and SO reliant on precise execution that it often hinders the week-to-week variations and, especially, the in-game adaptations. The Ferentz regime takes it to such an immutable extreme that they often become inherent obstacles to Iowa's success on any given day.

You see this play out multiple times, every game, every year ...
- Over use of unsuccessful plays in predictable situations:
-- How many horizontal passes on 3rd and 5+?
-- How many short-side rushes to start a series?
-- How many rushes into (predictable) 8-man boxes?
-- How is it there is exactly 1 (predictable) audible?
We'll never know ... because the Ferentzes never stop trying and rarely vary from script.

- Unwillingness to substitute when guys aren't executing.
-- They're apprentices, not pros, and more prone to have off days.
-- There are so many teaching moments (and opportunities for others) missed at the concern of bruised confidence.

- Seniority trumps skill ... Once a starter ...

These are just the basic examples. It would take many hours and many beers to break these (and the many others) down and I'm already encroaching on TLDR territory for many of the myopians, here.

Back to your point about NwU game plan ... Are you saying, Goodson, much sooner, would've disrupted the conservative, risk-averse game plan? I don't see it ... He's not any more a liability to fumble. He's a reliable receiver with more speed and agility in space - which seems to be a big part of the scheme and strategy with the swing passes. He brings more explosiveness to hit the hole - which, as you alluded to, is crucial for the Hawk's success, given such a porous, sub-par OL. He's maximized his opportunities in terms of being equally productive as Sargent and Young, yet, he continues to be the 3rd option.

I'm cool with a conservative game plan - AFTER you establish control of the game. Goodson offers the better chance to do that because he brings a more explosive dynamic to the attack. For once, it would be nice to TRY to play from ahead of the 8-ball, rather than plodding along and falling behind it. Unfortunately, as always, that Ferentzian dogmatic adherence to the script (and personal philosophical paranoias) forces the tighter margin for error.

You make great points about what a successful game plan would be to win the most important game of the rest of the season. We all know who the starters - and rotations - will be at Wisconsin.:(:mad:

Count my vote as "no confidence" in the Ferentz regime making any sort of timely, competent adaptations. They'll stick to script and, in all their glorious futility, continue to ploddingly attack Wisconsin's teeth as they get run out of Madison. How the West was lost - like so many other opportunities over the years.

I get the game plan / opponent argument. That's exactly how it should be and how every team tries to do it.

I also understand that every team basically sticks to "their scheme" that, hopefully, they're pretty good at executing and has the right personnel to give you the best chance to win. From week to week, it comes down to minor tweaks that try to attack that opponent's weaknesses. At the same time, amidst the established game plan, you, hopefully, have also accounted for in-game "what-if" situations and have "plan B" that allows you to adapt to game flow.

The historical and perpetual issues that I've always bitched about with the Ferentz regime is that they are SO dogmatic to their scheme and SO committed to their personnel and SO reliant on precise execution that it often hinders the week-to-week variations and, especially, the in-game adaptations. The Ferentz regime takes it to such an immutable extreme that they often become inherent obstacles to Iowa's success on any given day.

You see this play out multiple times, every game, every year ...
- Over use of unsuccessful plays in predictable situations:
-- How many horizontal passes on 3rd and 5+?
-- How many short-side rushes to start a series?
-- How many rushes into (predictable) 8-man boxes?
-- How is it there is exactly 1 (predictable) audible?
We'll never know ... because the Ferentzes never stop trying and rarely vary from script.

- Unwillingness to substitute when guys aren't executing.
-- They're apprentices, not pros, and more prone to have off days.
-- There are so many teaching moments (and opportunities for others) missed at the concern of bruised confidence.

- Seniority trumps skill ... Once a starter ...

These are just the basic examples. It would take many hours and many beers to break these (and the many others) down and I'm already encroaching on TLDR territory for many of the myopians, here.

Back to your point about NwU game plan ... Are you saying, Goodson, much sooner, would've disrupted the conservative, risk-averse game plan? I don't see it ... He's not any more a liability to fumble. He's a reliable receiver with more speed and agility in space - which seems to be a big part of the scheme and strategy with the swing passes. He brings more explosiveness to hit the hole - which, as you alluded to, is crucial for the Hawk's success, given such a porous, sub-par OL. He's maximized his opportunities in terms of being equally productive as Sargent and Young, yet, he continues to be the 3rd option.

I'm cool with a conservative game plan - AFTER you establish control of the game. Goodson offers the better chance to do that because he brings a more explosive dynamic to the attack. For once, it would be nice to TRY to play from ahead of the 8-ball, rather than plodding along and falling behind it. Unfortunately, as always, that Ferentzian dogmatic adherence to the script (and personal philosophical paranoias) forces the tighter margin for error.

You make great points about what a successful game plan would be to win the most important game of the rest of the season. We all know who the starters - and rotations - will be at Wisconsin.:(:mad:

Count my vote as "no confidence" in the Ferentz regime making any sort of timely, competent adaptations. They'll stick to script and, in all their glorious futility, continue to ploddingly attack Wisconsin's teeth as they get run out of Madison. How the West was lost - like so many other opportunities over the years.
Excellent post.

I don't know if you can say "it's working so far" when the run game isn't working at all.

Agreed! Sargent isn’t really running like he once was. At this level you have to insert the best RB and that guy is Goodson and IMO it’s not even close. Moving forward Iowa will need to be moving the chains and scoring points.

I don't think Goodson should be used sparingly. A better way to say this is: Goodson, needs to used selectively, where he is put in a position that favors his strengths and minimizes deficiencies due to inexperience. They need to find ways to get Goodson open is space. Perhaps they should take a look through the plays they designed for Wadley and work in that direction.

Yes Selectively. Better word. If Iowa keeps him healthy, he can be a real threat in the next couple of years. Just need some time with coach Doyle.

Agreed! Sargent isn’t really running like he once was. At this level you have to insert the best RB and that guy is Goodson and IMO it’s not even close. Moving forward Iowa will need to be moving the chains and scoring points.

Sargent's once was...was once against Nebby's interior D. Fact is he never was a Big back.

Latest posts