Iowa the 15th most popular team in college football?

I like the clickable map of the Commonsensus. I get a giggle out of the outliers.

Northwestern, totally dominating in the eastern Wyoming region.
And Toledo enjoying a strong base in what appears to be Canton, Missouri. Or maybe Hannibal.

Makes sense - if you read the methodology, I guarantee you Iowa got a huge boost from the alumni in the Chicago market.

There are far more Hawkeyes in the STL area than there were before I moved back here from Iowa.

I think it's the fact that you can now get to IC in under 4 hours, even if you take water pills. As long as you don't have kids, it's under 4. When I was making the drive in college, it was 5...easy. Often more. Also, I think a lot more Iowa native grads are winding up here than in years past.

If they could find a way to do a deal with Missouri on reciprocating tuition like Missouri does with almost every other border state...they could really market this town.

Kids are dying to to go places other than Mizzou or KU...which are just extensions of high school. The other state schools don't have the division 1 clout or even the appeal of UNI. Arkansas has become really popular. It's cheap as snot and a fun school. Iowa's just too expensive.

Those numbers are inflated because of all of the tavern hawk fans:D. Never understood that argument/slam from clone fans. Just because they can't get people other than alumni to be fans, those don't count.

This is an amazing numerical presentation that I am sure mirrors what Delany and the other power brokers have spent much time poring over. And it makes it very clear what the proper path for the Big Ten should be....stand pat!! As they concluded in the last few lines of the article...the most powerful conferences,Big Ten and SEC have been the least likely to make additions,which has paid off in bringing in only great programs like PSU,Neb,and T A&M, and has paid off in loyalty from existing conference schools fans. College football fans like tradition,rivalries,and stability...and Delany knows it. He is in a great position of having to do nothing and prospering with no risk.

That Pac 16 group is very interesting...they just do not have the fans out west,and adding 4 programs(two good,two average) helps them out,but still cuts the pie 16 ways,so cannot imagine Texas and OK really making out.

Love the fact that Iowa is at #15, ahead of LSU,USC,Nebraska....Go Hawks!
ISU at #52...ouch. If all the ISU fans became Iowa fans it would drive Iowa up to 1.8 million...and in the top ten.

I think Tavernhawks are great.
I didn't go to Cardinals Baseball University.
Never played for the Rams or the Blues. But, to be fair, I'm kind of a bandwagon fan of both. I mean I wish for them to do well, and I'll kinda pay attention if they're not doing so good. But I only trot out a t-shirt or something when they're winning or they have Kurt Warner.

I'm a Tavern__________ (fill in the blank) for anyone playing Notre Dame or OSU.

More often than not, I've been a fan of Mizzou when it didn't have an impact on my Hawkeyeness. Can't say I've owned a t-shirt or anything, but if my wife bought me one....I'd wear one.

I'm kinda pushing Mizzou with my kids right now. 'Cause I can't afford out of state tuition at Iowa.

I can see it. If you just go by school and unscientifically pick teams that Iowa would be more popular than or as popular as you could make the argument that they would be in this range. I mean, if you look at about how many schools traditionally have a lot of bandwagon followers (Ohio State, Florida,Florida State, Notre Dame, USC or whomever ) it probably is about 10 or so. After that is pretty much a toss up as to who is the most popular and I could easily see an argument that Iowa football is 15.

I thought Neb was this great nationally brand that "moves the needle" according to ESPN bloggers, yet they have fewer fans than Iowa? I suppose that can still be true, but just surprised is all. Also, I've read many saying Maryland would be a good B10 target, but they have just 500k fans.

So is one of the factors they use to determine the size of a fan base how many times "college football" is typed into google? Or did I read that part wrong?

Good article. Makes the case for Missou, Kansas, ND and Rutgers stronger.

The thing people don't realize is joining the B1G will make the three weaker programs stronger.

Rutgers will be a huge draw for other B1G fans in the area. In fact, it might end up being one of the hardest tickets in the conference. Also, Kansas will be a huge draw for Iowa fans.

Well the Mountain West and Conference USA has to be salivating over the thought of Iowa State joining them.

Latest posts