Iowa Needs to Hit the Portal!

longtimer

#1 priority has to be QB! I just don't see who would be our starting QB at this point. Not sure if we can attract anyone to play in Brian's offense but need to try!

#2 priority is Wide receiver Its possible we could lose WRs to portal and we just don't have that many to start

#3 may not be high priority but if could find a good Offensive Lineman or Maybe LB

Not to be that guy that, but regardless of whether we hit the portal or not, who is going to jump at the opportunity to play WR at Iowa. My guess would be any WR in the portal is looking for more targets not more opportunities to block and be a second option behind the TE's in the passing game.

So we need to hit the portal for an entirely new offense?
LOL. Yep, KF goes all Michigan State/Nebraska and turns over his entire offense in the portal. Is there anything less KF than what is suggested in this thread?

For the record, I have no issue looking for a QB and a WR in the portal. I doubt we will look at either, but there is a case for both.

There is no case for a developmental program like Iowa to look at OL. We will have all 5 OL and some backups returning and we have a ready to play freshmen joining us this Summer. OL should be one of our best and deepest groups next year.

Biggest portal need -- which is also a possibility to actually get -- is at DT. We desperately need a huge run-stuffer in the middle -- somebody who can't be pushed around. It's not like Iowa asks its DLinemen to shoot gaps, so speed is not that important. Given Iowa's consistent respect for its defense, oughta be a big dude out there somewhere wanting to play Big Boy football.

#1 priority has to be QB! I just don't see who would be our starting QB at this point. Not sure if we can attract anyone to play in Brian's offense but need to try!

#2 priority is Wide receiver Its possible we could lose WRs to portal and we just don't have that many to start

#3 may not be high priority but if could find a good Offensive Lineman or Maybe LB

Iowa is in a fix if they don't get a new offensive coordinator. Given that it takes 3 years to learn the offense, `nobody any good will be ready to play.

Biggest portal need -- which is also a possibility to actually get -- is at DT. We desperately need a huge run-stuffer in the middle -- somebody who can't be pushed around. It's not like Iowa asks its DLinemen to shoot gaps, so speed is not that important. Given Iowa's consistent respect for its defense, oughta be a big dude out there somewhere wanting to play Big Boy football.
Graves?

There was a segment on BTN that I was watching this morning with Gerry DiNardo and Urban Meyer talking about the portal. They showed a graphic showing the records of the 7 teams that brought the most transfers this year. Their combined record is 32-13 (which included Arizona State's 2-4). USC and Ole Miss are the top 2 and they're both 6-0. They compared it to the time when Bill Snyder used JUCO's to build KSU. They're players that are more developed than HS players so you know what you're getting more so than HS recruiting. It's nothing more than an extension of recruiting.

There was a segment on BTN that I was watching this morning with Gerry DiNardo and Urban Meyer talking about the portal. They showed a graphic showing the records of the 7 teams that brought the most transfers this year. Their combined record is 32-13 (which included Arizona State's 2-4). USC and Ole Miss are the top 2 and they're both 6-0. They compared it to the time when Bill Snyder used JUCO's to build KSU. They're players that are more developed than HS players so you know what you're getting more so than HS recruiting. It's nothing more than an extension of recruiting.
Totally agree.
Even the top teams who are not into total rebuilds have used the portal transfers to fill key positions which were thin or weak due to attrition, injuries or lack of development. Apparently, Iowa did not feel the need for such assistance.

On the flip side, programs like OSU and Michigan have very few portal acquisitions.

It seems like Iowa thought they were OSU or Michigan coming off a 10-win season...turns out they were Nebrasksa and just didn't know it.

Who the hell are you gonna get? People act like there’s a big list of awesome quarterbacks waiting to be picked up.

There are only 2 QBs in the portal. Deacon Hill who’s never taken a college snap in two years, and Hank Bachmeier who quit Boise because they got rid of the OC who recruited him and says he wants to go to a school focused on winning and NFL development. Pretty sure that guy ain’t coming here to play for this mentally defective OC we have right now. He also quit mid season because things weren't going well. Sound like a team-first guy to you?

So…

Those of you saying we need to go to the portal, you also better be prepared to let us know who you want to pick up.

In addition, some coaches are better at taking retreads and meshing them into they program or with their players. Not sure this would be a strong point for KF. Not to say there might be a need for a position or two to help fill a bad void, but to hit the portal for 10-12 players really makes me question their recruiting and/or development of players. KF chooses to not go this route.

Also, there is a numbers game with the current scholarship players. People think its a free fro all grab and don't even think about the scholarship limitations and roster depth at positions.

I have heard they did try to get or spoke to Martinez..........so.

Again. I'm more worried about the outflow through the portal than the inflow.
Inflow would be fine.
Outflow could be devastating, with long term implications.

Regardless of the position or quantity, we have to utilize the portal to fill in weak spots.
This year is a good example of portal mismanagement. Lost 4 WR (2 starters?) and brought in no one to replace them. We lost a few OL due to attrition, injuries, transfers, and brought in no one to fill the gaps. Arguably, these are now our most glaring weaknesses as we wait for internal talent to develop instead of using the portal.

(I'm not considering QB's because apparently we need post-grad engineers back there to execute our complex and finely tuned offensive scheme, and apparently, none would come to Iowa.).

Last edited:
LOL. Yep, KF goes all Michigan State/Nebraska and turns over his entire offense in the portal. Is there anything less KF than what is suggested in this thread?

For the record, I have no issue looking for a QB and a WR in the portal. I doubt we will look at either, but there is a case for both.

There is no case for a developmental program like Iowa to look at OL. We will have all 5 OL and some backups returning and we have a ready to play freshmen joining us this Summer. OL should be one of our best and deepest groups next year.

Are you sure this O-line hasn't already peaked? We get that they are all a bunch of Sophomores, what we don't know is if they have already maxed out. The intricacies of o-line play is beyond my pay grade, so what do you see that guarantees a step forward?