Iowa is no longer #1

ssckelley

After losing Lee the voters have knocked Iowa out of the top spot for the first time after 28 consecutive polls being #1.

Hopefully this creates a chip on their shoulder. The dual versus PSU on January 28th is gonna be wild in Carver.

Fryowa

Administrator
After losing Lee the voters have knocked Iowa out of the top spot for the first time after 28 consecutive polls being #1.

Hopefully this creates a chip on their shoulder. The dual versus PSU on January 28th is gonna be wild in Carver.

Intermat is what people go by in wrestling. We've been #2 in Dual and Tourney rankings since before Minnesota and Purdue.

ssckelley

My cousin is a wrestling coach in SE Iowa, one of his wrestler's dads (rich and owns a bunch of motels) offered me $600 for my 3 seats.

It's gonna be a crazy environment. Iowa is going to need every bit of that crowd energy in order to pull off a couple of upsets.

Fryowa

Administrator
It's gonna be a crazy environment. Iowa is going to need every bit of that crowd energy in order to pull off a couple of upsets.
Yeah to be honest I don't feel good about this one anymore. At the start of the season I'd have said we were ok, but Eierman has been flat so far, Kaleb Young has been atrocious, and 184 is a wildcard with Assad.

Obviously Spencer being out is the dagger in the heart, Ayala will be a national champ someday but not this year. Kemerer vs Starocci I'm not sure how I feel about that one at the dual. If Kem wins he's the new #1 and favorite, but if he wins that's also fuel for Starocci to come back in Lincoln/Detroit with a vengance.

Young and Murin will probably be round of 12 guys in Detroit, and PSU has 3 potential champs. Winning the individual title is 16 points, almost insurmountable if that happens.

To win the natty we need (IMO) 2 out of 3 things to happen...

1) Some PSU injuries

2) Desanto, Marinelli, Kemerer, Cass, and Eierman to all go deep

3) A huge upset out of the gate early on, either our guys taking one, or theirs losing one.

Last edited:

Gibsonian

4 good matches tonight ranked vs ranked. Interesting to see what Ayala can do after the upset last match. Pumped.

Penn State looks really tough, not sure we can get em without a very very good team performance.