Iowa has a tough road in BTT

Beating someone 3 times is hard. Purdue is about amperage the last month.

Not so daunting. All the Big is very flawed

Good lordy. Hawks are gonna get beat by WI three times this season....that would just about cap off a shitter wouldnt it?

OSU and Wisconsin might both be the best Wednesday teams in the history of the big 10 tournament. That game will be tough. MSU isn't very good this year but they aren't my first choice for an opponent that round. Purdue is struggling bad lately and they very well could lose their first game. All that said, thos bracket is probably worst case scenario for us

. On the other hand, MSU needed 8 things to go perfect this week to get the double bye and still got it while we needed a lot to go wrong to not get it.

OSU and Wisconsin might both be the best Wednesday teams in the history of the big 10 tournament. That game will be tough. MSU isn't very good this year but they aren't my first choice for an opponent that round. Purdue is struggling bad lately and they very well could lose their first game. All that said, thos bracket is probably worst case scenario for us

. On the other hand, MSU needed 8 things to go perfect this week to get the double bye and still got it while we needed a lot to go wrong to not get it.
We couldn't have had things line up for us better the first half of the week.

Then things went against us today, the biggest being of our own doing.

Last edited:
Why can't we ever have nice things??

We have nice things. Wrestling and the Women’s basketball program.

If you consider consistency a nice thing then there is the football and basketball programs. Warning, warning, Fran word coming up……. We aren’t “spectacular” in either sport, but have spectacular moments and games where we play the spoiler role. Last years BTT in basketball was a spectacular moment in time before we shit the bed in the NCAA tournament.

I am afraid Fryowa is correct in his analysis of the general status of the two major sports at the University of Iowa. Think of Chicago Bear fans.You take one year “1985” out of the equation and what do you have? The same with the Chicago Cubs. Multiple of decades fans have packed into Soldier Field and Wrigley Field with hopes that are delusional. Yet they come and come and come.

Now if you approach it with the attitude of just being they with family and friends and enjoying your time together then you are going to enjoy things a lot more and avoid dissatisfaction and frustration.

Now with the expansion (oh brother) of the playoffs in college football these delusions will only grow. Although I will say this, it will help weed out some of the perineal bias we see every year with only four teams in the playoffs.

The truth is yes some teams are elite and get the best players year after year, but how a team stacks up against another team with matchups can be huge and a game changer. We all hopelessly wait for that moment with our beloved Hawkeyes. It may never happen. With nepotism raising its ugly head and a passive fans base that accepts it the chances dramatically drop to extremely low percentages in the football program.

As a Bear fan it’s hard to realize that 1985 was over thirty-seven years ago……. Good gawd.

Best to have good food, and friends and family around and just enjoy the moments together.

NEVER say never with Iowa athletes, but a betting man would not put much stock in betting on the Hawkeyes to ever go the distance in football or basketball. The numbers speak for themselves.

So enjoy being with those you love and relax and enjoy the moments together.

Oh, I almost forgot……. “GO HAWKS!!!!”

So because Iowa has not one a nattie in MBB or football, neither sport is any good? God some perspective is needed for some. Do you how F ing hard it is to win a nattie? Just statistically speaking, its 1-100 before you take into account cheating, SEC, weather, academics, Bill Self's bagman, etc.

If you are measuring Iowa's success by Nattie's, well, expect a lifetime of sadness and disappointment in watching Iowa's two major sports.

If, however, you acquired some perspective and realistic assessment of the sports world, you would see Iowa is fortunate to have two very good, albeit quite flawed, HCs. Both took over programs that were in various states of dumpster fire and both turned their programs into consistent winners. Both men are amazing at recruiting under the radar talent and turning them into studs. Both have coached players to just about every conceivable individual award available to a player in their sport, short of a Heisman (and KF has a second place finisher there too).

Look, unless you count the NIT or meaningless bowl games, every good team in both sports loses their last game, except for one team. If you want to focus on that, go for it. I prefer to focus on the wins, losses, successes, and failures along the way, knowing that in both sports, our fandom is far, far more fortunate that the vast majority of programs out there, and certainly we are in much better shape than ANY of our many rival programs (except maybe Wisconsin).

Falling short of winning it all is perhaps the one constant in sports. Failure is what makes sports great. If you want to know the outcome and have a happy ending, go see a musical.....

tough road for sure. This is what they deserve though after losing to NU at home on Sr. day. Things have a way of working themselves out and most teams get exactly what they have coming.

So because Iowa has not one a nattie in MBB or football, neither sport is any good? God some perspective is needed for some. Do you how F ing hard it is to win a nattie? Just statistically speaking, its 1-100 before you take into account cheating, SEC, weather, academics, Bill Self's bagman, etc.

If you are measuring Iowa's success by Nattie's, well, expect a lifetime of sadness and disappointment in watching Iowa's two major sports.

If, however, you acquired some perspective and realistic assessment of the sports world, you would see Iowa is fortunate to have two very good, albeit quite flawed, HCs. Both took over programs that were in various states of dumpster fire and both turned their programs into consistent winners. Both men are amazing at recruiting under the radar talent and turning them into studs. Both have coached players to just about every conceivable individual award available to a player in their sport, short of a Heisman (and KF has a second place finisher there too).

Look, unless you count the NIT or meaningless bowl games, every good team in both sports loses their last game, except for one team. If you want to focus on that, go for it. I prefer to focus on the wins, losses, successes, and failures along the way, knowing that in both sports, our fandom is far, far more fortunate that the vast majority of programs out there, and certainly we are in much better shape than ANY of our many rival programs (except maybe Wisconsin).

Falling short of winning it all is perhaps the one constant in sports. Failure is what makes sports great. If you want to know the outcome and have a happy ending, go see a musical.....

Do you have a reading disorder? Seriously?? You just said the same thing that I did. There is not one thing that I posted that is not true, not one.

I am saying that they win some and lose some. I said go to the games and support them and enjoy your time and don’t get consumed in dreams of national titles. Enjoy the good times and don’t stress out about National titles and championship.

Now hopefully your drunk has wore off and you can read it sober this time.

Do you have a reading disorder? Seriously?? You just said the same thing that I did. There is not one thing that I posted that is not true, not one.

I am saying that they win some and lose some. I said go to the games and support them and enjoy your time and don’t get consumed in dreams of national titles. Enjoy the good times and don’t stress out about National titles and championship.

Or dont get too emotionally invested to get a serious bad hangover. Enjoy....from a distance:)

We have nice things. Wrestling and the Women’s basketball program.

If you consider consistency a nice thing then there is the football and basketball programs. Warning, warning, Fran word coming up……. We aren’t “spectacular” in either sport, but have spectacular moments and games where we play the spoiler role. Last years BTT in basketball was a spectacular moment in time before we shit the bed in the NCAA tournament.

I am afraid Fryowa is correct in his analysis of the general status of the two major sports at the University of Iowa. Think of Chicago Bear fans.You take one year “1985” out of the equation and what do you have? The same with the Chicago Cubs. Multiple of decades fans have packed into Soldier Field and Wrigley Field with hopes that are delusional. Yet they come and come and come.

Now if you approach it with the attitude of just being they with family and friends and enjoying your time together then you are going to enjoy things a lot more and avoid dissatisfaction and frustration.

Now with the expansion (oh brother) of the playoffs in college football these delusions will only grow. Although I will say this, it will help weed out some of the perineal bias we see every year with only four teams in the playoffs.

The truth is yes some teams are elite and get the best players year after year, but how a team stacks up against another team with matchups can be huge and a game changer. We all hopelessly wait for that moment with our beloved Hawkeyes. It may never happen. With nepotism raising its ugly head and a passive fans base that accepts it the chances dramatically drop to extremely low percentages in the football program.

As a Bear fan it’s hard to realize that 1985 was over thirty-seven years ago……. Good gawd.

Best to have good food, and friends and family around and just enjoy the moments together.

NEVER say never with Iowa athletes, but a betting man would not put much stock in betting on the Hawkeyes to ever go the distance in football or basketball. The numbers speak for themselves.

So enjoy being with those you love and relax and enjoy the moments together.

Oh, I almost forgot……. “GO HAWKS!!!!”

Or, in some cases: weed will help out

:cool:

Or dont get too emotionally invested to get a serious bad hangover. Enjoy....from a distance:)

I agree. It’s not always easy but likely what’s in everyone best interest.

Now the Bears???? 38 years is too long. Their fans deserve better than that. The law of averages and the way draft picks are dealt out would dictate higher draft picks for teams that haven’t been there for awhile. Has the billionaire that owns the bears concluded that he won his championship and now cashing out his good draft choices for money and subpar trades?

Or, in some cases: weed will help out in

Well to be fair, judging from your posting history of mocking fans who enjoy going to games, your last post came off as sarcastic Or condescending. Or both.

64 year old here. Been listening/watching Hawk FB and BB since the mid 60s.
Iowa grad, never miss a FB game whether it's in person, TV, Sirius, terrestrial radio, or the internet.
Been to every B1G stadium sans Nebby. Seven bowl games and Indy in 2015....blah blah.

I'm a homer, pure and simple. Losses hurt more than being giddy with a win.

However, I've never lost perspective that Iowa will never be continually elite in either sport.

What I settle for is being relevant, and occasionally, catching lightening in a bottle....final four (was in college in 1980), undefeated regular FB season, chance at the FB playoffs...(which is why 1970, 1987 and 2015 are particularly painful for me). The occasional shooting of par on a hole keeps the duffer coming back to the course afterall.

I'm satisifed with who I've rooted for and spent tens of thousands of dollars being entertained by.
We have pedigree, are relevant, and thank Gawd, aren't Iowa State!

Go Hawks.

Last edited:
Well to be fair, judging from your posting history of mocking fans who enjoy going to games, your last post came off as sarcastic Or condescending. Or both.

If you are referring to me challenging those who concede that we never can be a national champion……… yes I have felt that way towards those who feel that way. I am a little more reserved than Hayden Fry. He would rather just punch people in the face who think that way. His words not mine.

Not to get confused with Woody Hayes who just decided to go punch an opposing player in the face during a live game……… sorry had to throw out a little humor there. I was watching that game when it happened.

Seriously, I have realized that it’s best to enjoy the game come what may. It’s a win win to just be with friends and family and have a good time with them.

Sure I was disappointed that LSU took the lead after they were trailing the whole game. Didn’t help that the LSU fan and his family turned around and thanked us for Iowa making it fun, with less than a minute left to play. None the less we were polite to them and we did. Have a great time being there and going to the theme parks the day before. Who could have predicted how that game would end??? I was very polite to them as we walked away with that win under out belts. Got to be honest though I still laugh at the look in that guys face when we won on the last play of the game.

I still find satisfaction in the Bears and Cubs National Championship. There is just something satisfying about it even after all these years. The same would be true for Iowa if it ever happeneds.

I understand that there would be those who would expect more and would expect more each year, not me. Just give me the one and I will be good. I would
relish it for ever. Is it impossible? I don’t think so. Is it likely? I don’t think so, but will I ever just give up? Nope. I like our chances if our offense in football could do a dramatic uptick. Maybe next year will be better. It has to doesn’t it??? Gawd I hope so.

Last edited:

Latest posts