Iowa Football Notebook: QB Competition Underway

KF aint naming anyone until the Fall, and that is probably wise if he wants to avoid the loser of the competition transferring.

KF is only going to replace a starter unless the guy behind him is demonstrably better. KF has shown over the years that he is not going to play the guy with the most potential, but rather, the guy that operates the offense with the least amount of mistakes. I don't think Padilla is going to demonstrate such amazing talent to overtake Petras. I don't think that Labas can prove to KF that he is so studly that he should jump two guys. So, you know where my money is.

Frankly, the only realistic hope I have for change is that Labas is given some series and packages like KF did with Banks his first year on campus. That is as much as I can bring myself to hope for.

KF aint naming anyone until the Fall, and that is probably wise if he wants to avoid the loser of the competition transferring.

KF is only going to replace a starter unless the guy behind him is demonstrably better. KF has shown over the years that he is not going to play the guy with the most potential, but rather, the guy that operates the offense with the least amount of mistakes. I don't think Padilla is going to demonstrate such amazing talent to overtake Petras. I don't think that Labas can prove to KF that he is so studly that he should jump two guys. So, you know where my money is.

Frankly, the only realistic hope I have for change is that Labas is given some series and packages like KF did with Banks his first year on campus. That is as much as I can bring myself to hope for.
Bingo.

The guy with the most experience will always start unless he looks absolutely terrible.

Risk management (or rather the perception of it) > Playmaking ability

People will read into the snap distribution during the spring game/scrimage whatever they end up doing/calling it. But the real fight will be in August. They'll get a bit of an idea now but things could change in camp leading up to week 1 too. I wouldn't read too much into the QB battle this spring yet

This may be a battle done in 2 parts.
The spring could be used for the first part.

First they need to decide who would be #2 behind Petras. If it ends up being Padilla, then that probably means Padilla will get a chance to compete with Petras in the fall for #1.

If Labas passes Padilla in the spring, then that's probably means the process has started for Labas to eventually take over, probably in 2023. At that point Padilla can choose to transfer or stick around.

Petras might still have a COVID year left in 2023, but if he gets passed by Labas in 2023, Petras might decide to transfer in 2023. Maybe Petras would transfer in 2023 even if he still is the starter simply because he wants to play somewhere else in his last year.

We all know that barring injury Petras is going to be the starter from now until his eligibility is exhausted.

Kurt can say all he wants about an open competition but Petras is the guy.

We all know that barring injury Petras is going to be the starter from now until his eligibility is exhausted.

I only believe this is likely true because I don't think that Padilla has shown that he is an upgrade. Absent reality slapping KF in the face that the #2 guy clearly is better than the #1 guy, he will stick with the guy who already earned the starting role. But, on at least 3 occasions KF has played the backup over a healthy multiyear starter. So, it can happen.

If you think about it, KF does not reserve that thinking for just QB. We all knew that Eppy was the most talented DL on the team his sophomore season, but there was a 4 year starter in front of him that was an every down player and productive. Eppy came off the bench.

As Iowa fans, we can hope for three things in order of likely to happen:

1. With a more consistent running game, Petras shows discernible (mild) improvement over last season.
2. Labas is a legitimate playmaker and his talent is overwhelming in practice. He starts getting packages as the season progresses and takes over as the starter after Petras loses 3 in a row stinking things up in a Christiansen esk manner.
3. Padilla is actually much more talented than he showed last year and he proves that to the coaches and is the Game 1 Starter.

^^^^This is the correct answer by default. BF(OC/QB coach) and Jon Budmayr(Offensive Analyst) may want to pivot in a different direction, but there isn't anyone to pivot too. Labbas would absolutely have to crush it, to get into the mix, and that ain't happening. Your 2022 starter will be Petras.

Saturday
Sep. 3South Dakota State Jackrabbits Football ScheduleSouth Dakota State Jackrabbits Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City,
Sep. 10Iowa State Football ScheduleIowa State Cyclones Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City
Sep. 17Nevada Wolf Pack Football ScheduleNevada Wolf Pack Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City
Sep. 24Rutgers Football Scheduleat Rutgers Scarlet Knights SHI Stadium, Piscataway
Oct. 1Michigan Football ScheduleMichigan Wolverines Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City
Oct. 8Illinois Football Scheduleat Illinois Fighting Illini Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL

Oct. 15 OFF

Oct. 22Ohio State Football Scheduleat Ohio State Buckeyes Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH
Oct. 29Northwestern Wildcats Football ScheduleNorthwestern Wildcats (HC)Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City
Nov. 5Purdue Boilermakers Football Scheduleat Purdue Boilermakers Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette
Nov. 12Wisconsin Badgers Football ScheduleWisconsin Badgers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Nov. 19Minnesota Golden Gophers Football Scheduleat Minnesota Golden Gophers Huntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
Nov. 25Nebraska Football ScheduleNebraska Cornhuskers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA

Which means the above translates, bince again, into 8-4/9-3.

BTW, the Outback Bowl is now called the Tampa Bay Bowl.

I have said from the beginning that our best bet for improvement from the O in 2022 will be the O line, the run game, and a moderate approval from Petras. Padilla? A maybe. Labas, not likely. Frankly, the QB position is a distant third on the impact of the O. Book it.

Saturday
Sep. 3South Dakota State Jackrabbits Football ScheduleSouth Dakota State Jackrabbits Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City,
Sep. 10Iowa State Football ScheduleIowa State Cyclones Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City
Sep. 17Nevada Wolf Pack Football ScheduleNevada Wolf Pack Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City
Sep. 24Rutgers Football Scheduleat Rutgers Scarlet Knights SHI Stadium, Piscataway
Oct. 1Michigan Football ScheduleMichigan Wolverines Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City
Oct. 8Illinois Football Scheduleat Illinois Fighting Illini Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL

Oct. 15 OFF

Oct. 22Ohio State Football Scheduleat Ohio State Buckeyes Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH
Oct. 29Northwestern Wildcats Football ScheduleNorthwestern Wildcats (HC)Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City
Nov. 5Purdue Boilermakers Football Scheduleat Purdue Boilermakers Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette
Nov. 12Wisconsin Badgers Football ScheduleWisconsin Badgers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Nov. 19Minnesota Golden Gophers Football Scheduleat Minnesota Golden Gophers Huntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
Nov. 25Nebraska Football ScheduleNebraska Cornhuskers Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA

Which means the above translates, bince again, into 8-4/9-3.

BTW, the Outback Bowl is now called the Tampa Bay Bowl.
We will start 6-0. Then 6-1. Then win 4 or 5 in a row. So 10-2 or 11-1. major Bowl game after loss in the BT championship, BT West champs. Major bowl game toss up.

This is correct. Based on some of the practice reports I’ve seen from this past weekend with the coaches clinic, Petras is clearly QB1. Padilla struggled with his opportunities and Labas is pushing for QB2. Granted, this was one practice in early spring.

I do wonder whether this decision is truly made by KF. I mean, I get that KF runs his program by being on top of as many details as he can. He is not hands off on either side of the ball. That said, I don't understand that he is regularly overriding play calls or substitution patterns. He helps shape the game plan and makes the decision whether to go for it on 4th and the like, but leaves it to his coordinators to call the games.

I have to believe that if BF and the new consultant came to KF and said, if we want to be special, we are going to have to take a chance and play one of the two backups, he would heed their advice. As the saying goes, if you hire the chef to make the meal, you have to let him pick the ingredients.

Yeah... and looking at the schedule I don't see how a change would be made till the Michigan game. If I had to bet $ on who's starting week 1 I'd put it on Petras. Could he play himself out of it like JC did of course he could. But how bad would he have to be playing to warrant that?

But they already know what he is in practice and the others aren't going to WOW them enough to make a change between now and summer camp ending. Is what it is as they say. For folks that predict Labas to get the job week 1 next yr and mean it and are right (no injuries to the others just beats em out) I will tip my cap to ya. I just don't see that happening

I dont think Labas will start game 1 but I will say I think he is alot closer to pushing for #1 then what most people think. Reason for that is because last year the coaches absolutely raved about him and if you follow Iowa football closely like I do you know that if the coaches rave about a kid on the scout team it isnt to long until they are playing.

I dont think Labas will start game 1 but I will say I think he is alot closer to pushing for #1 then what most people think. Reason for that is because last year the coaches absolutely raved about him and if you follow Iowa football closely like I do you know that if the coaches rave about a kid on the scout team it isnt to long until they are playing.
I have no doubt that ignoring most of what you say is the smart move. Of course, even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while…

Latest posts