Iowa Football: A Tale of Two Halves

tm3308

Obviously, there is more than a healthy share of frustration on the board right now. I think I've probably been among the more vocal today, and I've voiced my frustrations with the poor second half coaching. But it's important to note that this isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to a single game. Today's game served as nothing more than a catalyst for a release of half a season's worth of frustration.

Iowa dominates in the first half and struggles in the second half, on both sides of the ball. That's not just an amateur eyeballer's opinion. That's a statistical fact.

Iowa Offensive PPG
First half: 20.5 ppg (14th best in the nation)
Second half: 8.5 ppg (100th in the nation out of 125 FBS teams)

Iowa Defensive PPG
First half: 6.7 (5th best in the nation)
Second half: 13.5 ppg (63rd in the nation)

Those numbers (which only include games against FBS opponents) pretty clearly articulate my beef with the coaches, and it still applied today: A lot of credit goes to our coaches for putting together great gameplans when they prepare each week. But once the game is underway and the opponent eventually adjusts and counters our initial plans, we seem to have no answers but to keep doing what worked before, even though it's no longer effective. Today, we stuck with the running game when NW was selling out against the run, and basically got stuck in a rut for 2 1/2 quarters; then we mixed it up in OT and made scoring look pretty easy (go figure). Largely because of this apparent lack of flexibility/adjustment/whatever you want to call it, we've been outscored in the second half in 6 of our 8 games.

Today was not an isolated incident. It's part of a systemic problem that has cost Iowa in three games and nearly cost them in two more. And it will cost them again, if it's not corrected soon. THAT is why I'm upset, and THAT is why I'm not thrilled with today's game even though we won.

These are great stats. I expect there is a historical trend here too. We all know the drill and it doesn't change. Get a lead and hang on... hope the opponent fails.

Hopefully the staff starts scripting a series for the second half as well. On a side note, if you bet the hawks to cover in the first half and not cover in the second half you would be rich.

Obviously, there is more than a healthy share of frustration on the board right now. I think I've probably been among the more vocal today, and I've voiced my frustrations with the poor second half coaching. But it's important to note that this isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to a single game. Today's game served as nothing more than a catalyst for a release of half a season's worth of frustration.

Iowa dominates in the first half and struggles in the second half, on both sides of the ball. That's not just an amateur eyeballer's opinion. That's a statistical fact.

Iowa Offensive PPG
First half: 20.5 ppg (14th best in the nation)
Second half: 8.5 ppg (100th in the nation out of 125 FBS teams)

Iowa Defensive PPG
First half: 6.7 (5th best in the nation)
Second half: 13.5 ppg (63rd in the nation)

Those numbers (which only include games against FBS opponents) pretty clearly articulate my beef with the coaches, and it still applied today: A lot of credit goes to our coaches for putting together great gameplans when they prepare each week. But once the game is underway and the opponent eventually adjusts and counters our initial plans, we seem to have no answers but to keep doing what worked before, even though it's no longer effective. Today, we stuck with the running game when NW was selling out against the run, and basically got stuck in a rut for 2 1/2 quarters; then we mixed it up in OT and made scoring look pretty easy (go figure). Largely because of this apparent lack of flexibility/adjustment/whatever you want to call it, we've been outscored in the second half in 6 of our 8 games.

Today was not an isolated incident. It's part of a systemic problem that has cost Iowa in three games and nearly cost them in two more. And it will cost them again, if it's not corrected soon. THAT is why I'm upset, and THAT is why I'm not thrilled with today's game even though we won.

This an extremely legitimate complaint and cause for frustration. It can and needs to be corrected... or will ultimately be KFs undoing.

Try to enjoy the win though TM.

While i am very happy for the win, and i am glad to see them finish a game strong. I am also concerned. I thought i heard during the game we have been outscored 50 to 7 in the second half. That is very alarming.

^^ Totally agree. This is not the first season this has been happening as many of us, including the OP, know.

Let's look at it another way. It was said by pundits that KF and his staff were very good at halftime adjustments back in the 2001-2005 era. On that staff we had a current NFL head coach and defensive coach who went on to be a Dee Coordinator in the NFL, and maybe some other coaches who were good at adjustments.

KOK was maybe better at 2nd half adjustments in those days.

It is very frustrating and I have called for variability, even just some variability in the playcalling and defense.

Norm was great but he even wouldnt budge sometimes, I think PHil Parker is pretty good at adjusting,

^^ Totally agree. This is not the first season this has been happening as many of us, including the OP, know.

Let's look at it another way. It was said by pundits that KF and his staff were very good at halftime adjustments back in the
2001-2005 era. On that staff we had a current NFL head coach and defensive coach who went on to be a Dee Coordinator in the NFL, and maybe some other coaches who were good at adjustments.

KOK was maybe better at 2nd half adjustments in those days.

It is very frustrating and I have called for variability, even just some variability in the playcalling and defense.

Norm was great but he even wouldnt budge sometimes, I think PHil Parker is pretty good at adjusting,
I thought about that as well, but you cant really pin it on the o or gd and you cant pin it on the d or phil. It is all three phases that seem to slack off in the second. That is why i liked the ot yesterday, finally some semblance. Of a spark late in a game.

Here my take:

Offense - We've had a lead after the first half in every game. Our tendency is to play more conservative in the second half and we have not been willing to put the game in the hands of our first year QB by allowing him to throw defenses out of a stack look or the commitment of the safeties to stop our running game. I get he's a first year starter...I get we need a running game to make play action work...but when a team like NW actually is playing one safety so low he's got a foot in the box, you have to start throwing slants and over the top. We threw one slant to CJ...Duzey and Kittle could run by that safety every play also. Rudock now has 8 starts, put the game in his hands and let him throw like a two minute drill...you will be amazed at how quickly the D changes. One area that needs to be addressed is blitz protection. We aren't very good at it. Bullock whiffs / Weisman whiffs. I think you may need to put a fullback who can catch in there if you decide to do the two minute drill in the 3rd quarter.

Defense - Guys, this is about fatigue. Our rotation isn't deep enough at the DT position or DE position. Hell Ott never leaves the game, unless it's 3rd and long once in an awhile. Yesterday, LTP and C Davis wore down in the running game. They are playing way too many snaps. It's also a long season. Fine, if Parker feels the drop off to Faith and Jaleel is so dramatic, I get it, but if you ask me, we need to give guys a complete series off or two in the first half of games to keep them fresh for the end of the game. After two games of the other offense running them ragged...Wisky is licking their chops. Expect some more second half fatigue. I loved the fact that they got Spearman in there yesterday, but we need to rotate more than just Cooper in there. In my opinion and I said this last week, Spearman ends up at DE in his career.

I am hopeful that next year our o can put a full 60 min game together. You could say new qb and new sytem ect leads to smaller packages with an effort to out execute. Not sure why the d fades so fast after half time.

This is concerning, and I think even more so now when it is in black and white. IE I knew we were better in the 1st half, but didn't realize just how much.

I think we need to put more trust in Rudock personally. Let him pass some more, and open up the running game. I loved the play call to open the OT. That quick pass when they were just laying off the WR and had 8 in the box. We did that a few times actually, but we need to just continue to do that, as if the opponents want to shut down the run, take that WR quick pass and get 4-8 yards.

This is concerning, and I think even more so now when it is in black and white. IE I knew we were better in the 1st half, but didn't realize just how much.

I think we need to put more trust in Rudock personally. Let him pass some more, and open up the running game. I loved the play call to open the OT. That quick pass when they were just laying off the WR and had 8 in the box. We did that a few times actually, but we need to just continue to do that, as if the opponents want to shut down the run, take that WR quick pass and get 4-8 yards.

Agreed. Even Dolph and Eddie were getting frustrated we weren't doing this during their call of the game.

Here my take:

Defense - Guys, this is about fatigue. Our rotation isn't deep enough at the DT position or DE position. Hell Ott never leaves the game, unless it's 3rd and long once in an awhile. Yesterday, LTP and C Davis wore down in the running game. They are playing way too many snaps. It's also a long season. Fine, if Parker feels the drop off to Faith and Jaleel is so dramatic, I get it, but if you ask me, we need to give guys a complete series off or two in the first half of games to keep them fresh for the end of the game. After two games of the other offense running them ragged...Wisky is licking their chops. Expect some more second half fatigue. I loved the fact that they got Spearman in there yesterday, but we need to rotate more than just Cooper in there. In my opinion and I said this last week, Spearman ends up at DE in his career.

Hmmm, Spearman at DE. . . He'd have to put on a bunch of weight. . . Or maybe be a throwback to Leroy Smith, but that was the old 52 defense under Brashier. Interesting thought.

You bring up a very good point on the fatigue. I was watching the Auburn-aTm game last week and part of Malzahn's plan to beat the aggies was was to rotate in 9 defensive linemen in order to keep them fresh for late in the game.

Winone, i thought about that as well. I did not do my homework, but i suspect that the points in the first half also mean we are doing well in top. If so the d being gassed in the second just does not hold water.

Winone, i thought about that as well. I did not do my homework, but i suspect that the points in the first half also mean we are doing well in top. If so the d being gassed in the second just does not hold water.

We played alot of defense in the second quarter. In the third, they were on the field the whole quarter...and a ton in the fourth. NW ran between the tackles...I haven't seen teams do that all year...they attacked the interior. Our DTs were gassed by the end of the third. We have to rotate guys in, especially in the first half. Hell, tell Jaleel, he gets one series in the first half...if he performs...he gets another. If he screws up or is getting blown up, take him out. Every other team has a four man rotation at least at the DT position.

I still dont get it. After one half and that being the half when our o is marching, our d is that gassed? I do agree on letting people play for a series or two. I see a lot of upside to that.

I'd be interested to see the breakdown of the TOP for each half. Last week we seen it (and to a lesser, but similar extent yesterday), with the opponent keeping the ball for a greater period of time than Iowa. This would explain the lack of points for the offense and the increase in points for the defense.

Latest posts