Iowa BB Myths?

ohhawk

Div 1 rankings..........

* Iowa gets to the free throw line more than most..........we rank 102nd in FT attempts

* Iowa's FG % is higher than normal due to transition buckets & dunks.......we rank 193rd in FG%

* A running / transition oriented offense should produce a higher scoring output.......we rank 108th in scoring offense

* We shoot our share of 3's..............we rank 236th in 3 point attempts

* ......so we should take more 3's..........we rank 206th in 3 pt. FG%

Head scratcher of the day: Yesterday's game against Iowa was PSU's worst FG% game of their entire season and it was our best since mid-Feb. which includes the 6 game win streak ending the season.

Head scratcher of the day: Yesterday's game against Iowa was PSU's worst FG% game of their entire season and it was our best since mid-Feb. which includes the 6 game win streak ending the season.

Not sure I understand this. Sorry if I'm misreading. At a quick glance, PSU shot worse against us the first time we played them, and we shot 26% yesterday, certainly not the worst since mid-Feb.

26.3 FG% is nowhere near our best since mid-February; what in the hell are you talking about? That was the worst shooting performance of our entire season, managing to drop below the 27.5% we laid against UNI.

102 in free throw attempts is by definition more than most, there are over 300 teams. Iowa scores a high percentage of their points from the line and don't shoot well so that's why the free throw thing is brought up a lot. It's pretty important. The rest of the points feel more like straw men than myths.

all I got out of this was Iowa sucks at shooting the ball, sorry I already had that figured out.

You forgot to add the myth that there is no iowa basketball curse.

Exactly. Another thing, instead of everyone typing forever, stating in millions of different ways that Iowa needs to put it in the basket, can we just cut it down and say that Iowa needs to PIITB? Thx.

Div 1 rankings..........

* Iowa gets to the free throw line more than most..........we rank 102nd in FT attempts

* Iowa's FG % is higher than normal due to transition buckets & dunks.......we rank 193rd in FG%

* A running / transition oriented offense should produce a higher scoring output.......we rank 108th in scoring offense

Those two items in bold probably go hand in hand.

And yeah, Iowa doesn't shoot many threes, but with our general lack of shooters (besides Uthoff and maybe Jok) that is probably a good thing.

Not hitting many 3's probably also doesn't do our "scoring offense" stats any favors, either.

I do have to say I'm a bit surprised we don't rank higher than that in FT attempts, though.

Div 1 rankings..........

Where did you get these stats? They are not correct.
Iowa ranks 78th in FTA
Iowa ranks 212th in FG%

Iowa ranks 119th in Scoring Offense
Iowa ranks 223rd in 3pt attempts
Iowa ranks 213th in 3FG%

Who the hell ever said "we shoot our share of 3's so we should take more of them"?

Where did you get these stats? They are not correct.
Iowa ranks 78th in FTA
Iowa ranks 212th in FG%

Iowa ranks 119th in Scoring Offense
Iowa ranks 223rd in 3pt attempts
Iowa ranks 213th in 3FG%

Who the hell ever said "we shoot our share of 3's so we should take more of them"?

The difference is one day's data as earlier today they had not included yesterday's games according to the listed posting time on the site.......

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/153

The difference is one day's data as earlier today they had not included yesterday's games according to the listed posting time on the site.......

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/153

This post was horrible. I am sorry.

No one, except you I guess, has ever said we take our share of threes. No one has said that since Fran has been here.

And while Fran has a rep for wanting to run, we really haven't run much this year. Look at the stats on fast break points per game.

Obviously you were clueless on the free throw stats. You said so yourself.

And that line about the BTT game being our best FG shooting percentage since when?

In other words,"Keep it moving folks. Nothing to see (in this post) here."

Last edited:
Those two items in bold probably go hand in hand.

And yeah, Iowa doesn't shoot many threes, but with our general lack of shooters (besides Uthoff and maybe Jok) that is probably a good thing.

Not hitting many 3's probably also doesn't do our "scoring offense" stats any favors, either.

I do have to say I'm a bit surprised we don't rank higher than that in FT attempts, though.

Hawks really dont have many guys driving to draw fouls than White.

The hawks settled for a lot of jumpers Thursday an except for Gesell and white not many drive to the hoop. The team could use more slashers.

This post was horrible. I am sorry.

No one, except you I guess, has ever said we take our share of threes. No one has said that since Fran has been here.

And while Fran has a rep for wanting to run, we really haven't run much this year. Look at the stats on fast break points per game.

Obviously you were clueless on the free throw stats. You said so yourself.
"

Other coaches have adjusted to the hawks running game. The hawks were running people out of the gyms in 2012-13 and half way thru 2013-14. Since then I have noticed a big drop off in fast breaks and easy buckets. Teams are getting back on defense, teams are not crashing their offensive board for rebounds unless they have to. coaches know that Iowa beats you in the running game. All this leads to relying on the half court game and our bad jump shooting. In the halfcourt if the hawks can get to the rim and draw fouls and make dunks they look great, if they cant and they struggle to shoot the ball they can look bad.

It was amazing they shot so bad but were only down two pts with 50 seconds to go and Uthoffs shot was just short to tie it.

I wonder what our shooting percentage would have been if Woody and Gabe could make a layup or put back...even Aaron blew a few. People point to Fran's T being a big deal...well, if our bigs could score around the basket in this game...we are probably up in this game heading into the last few minutes.

Div 1 rankings..........

***Pretty much Agree..........during our 6-7 game win streak, it was Defensive hustle, toughness
& grit that got us the offense needed to win. (See J Uthoff, White, Olaseni, Sapp, Gesell on defense those games)

I wonder what our shooting percentage would have been if Woody and Gabe could make a layup or put back...even Aaron blew a few. People point to Fran's T being a big deal...well, if our bigs could score around the basket in this game...we are probably up in this game heading into the last few minutes.

Agree here, also. Woody's inability to capitalize around the hoop, just a couple times,
really came back to haunt Hawkeyes.

Latest posts