Iowa at the Halfway Point

Stanzi

Total Offense: 61st (412 yards per game)
Total Defense: 5th (282 yards allowed per game)

These stats align with the numbers of our better teams under Ferentz. 61st for total offense isn't amazing but it's still a heck of a lot better than what we've seen the past 6 or 7 seasons.

These stats align with the numbers of our better teams under Ferentz. 61st for total offense isn't amazing but it's still a heck of a lot better than what we've seen the past 6 or 7 seasons.

When you have a great defense giving up few yards on avg compared to other teams and is also a low scoring defense then an AVG offense is as effective as Bama's offense.

Not sure where the hawk defense is rated on points per game but I heard they were great on pts per possession against them. And not only that but 21 points were scored on them on drives of 10, 4, and 10 yards.

Pass Pro is very good
Run blocking getting better
Running backs can improve making first cut into best hole
WRs stepping up and hope ISM is OK
TEs what is left to say they are awesome
Nate playing very well, very high quality, we will trade 6 td passes for 1 pick

How about this item from Yahoo sports on the possible playoff teams:

The Big Ten list was whittled to three: Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa — and the Hawkeyes still are swimming upstream to even win their division.

Nice halfway thru the season

By the way. For all you stat heads. There is a site out there called 'College Football Stats' at http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/conference/index.html

It gives either conference or national rankings for 52 different team categories, and 28 individual rankings.
Careful, you start by looking at Iowa's individual stats for 5 min. and next thing you know it's an hour later and you're neck deep in FAU's team defensive stats from 9 years ago. Place is a rabbithole of pure football data.

When you have a great defense giving up few yards on avg compared to other teams and is also a low scoring defense then an AVG offense is as effective as Bama's offense.

Not sure where the hawk defense is rated on points per game but I heard they were great on pts per possession against them. And not only that but 21 points were scored on them on drives of 10, 4, and 10 yards.

Pass Pro is very good
Run blocking getting better
Running backs can improve making first cut into best hole
WRs stepping up and hope ISM is OK
TEs what is left to say they are awesome
Nate playing very well, very high quality, we will trade 6 td passes for 1 pick
Iowa is currently 12th in PPG, 5th in YPG, and 4th in Rushing YPG. There has only been 99 points scored against the Hawks this season. Strip away some shitty turnovers, and Iowa is very close to number one in PPG.

Iowa is currently 12th in PPG, 5th in YPG, and 4th in Rushing YPG. There has only been 99 points scored against the Hawks this season. Strip away some shitty turnovers, and Iowa is very close to number one in PPG.

Thanks for finding that as I was looking for it and you are correct about stripping away 21 points to 78 points in 6 games.

Last year's SOS was 10th.
Last year's Total Offense was 116th

This year's SOS so far is 36th
This year's Total Offense so far is tied for 77th

I'd say we're improving.

SOS:
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2018-10-14

Total Offense:
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21/p2

I'd say we're improving.

SOS:
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2018-10-14

Total Offense:

77th is by total yards but that's not an accurate reflection since some teams have played an additional game. That's why I used yards per game as the measuring stick.

3rd down conversions really stood out.

Iowa is currently 13th nationally in 3rd down conversion percentage at 48.9%. 9th nationally in October. Even did relatively well against Wisconsin on third down. Wasn't doing anywhere near as well in the first three games.

In the Big Ten - 3rd down Conversions
Iowa - 2nd (13th nationally) - 48.9%
Maryland - 9th (96th) - 35.4%
Penn State - 8th (83rd) - 37.5%
Indiana - 6th - (43th) - 42.7%
Minnesota 10th - (103rd) - 35.4%

Maryland and Penn State have both met some success without being good on 3rd down. Indiana with their short passing game needs to convert on third down to win. Minnesota's downfall is their ineffectiveness on third down.

Time of possession ranking - In Big Ten.
(I didn't look up the national numbers on this.)

Iowa - 6th - 31:24min
Maryland - 12th - 28:35min
Penn State - 13th - 28:09min
Minnesota - 5th - 32:39min
Indiana - 8th - 29:52min

Penn State's TOP was relatively unaffected in their two losses. Iowa TOP tanked against Wisconsin to 24:47min. Maryland's was even worse in their two losses at 23:54min.

Last edited:
Careful, you start by looking at Iowa's individual stats for 5 min. and next thing you know it's an hour later and you're neck deep in FAU's team defensive stats from 9 years ago. Place is a rabbithole of pure football data.
Hahahah sounds like something I would do. I'll stay away, thanks for the warning :)

77th is by total yards but that's not an accurate reflection since some teams have played an additional game. That's why I used yards per game as the measuring stick.
tk just has a big (debatable) boner for total yards metrics :p

61st for total offense isn't amazing but it's still a heck of a lot better than what we've seen the past 6 or 7 seasons.

an offense in the top half of the nation with a dominant defense = 10+ wins

I'd say we're improving.

SOS:

Total Offense:

I can never decide if I think Total Offense should be measured by yards per game or points per game. They're usually similar (Iowa is 61 in YPG, 53 in PPG). I think they're both flawed stats though, but I don't really know of any decent advanced metric at the moment.

At the same time I never know if total offense even matters in the first place. You have Purdue as a top 10 offense in the country...with losses to NW, Mizzou and Eastern Michigan. You have Memphis as a top 7 offense because they play zero defense and uptempo offense.

My point is...I dont know what my point is. Points are fun