Illinois hires Bielema

Logical progression.

He is a child of the B1G, is a native of Illinois (Prophetstown, just east of Clinton and the Quad Cities) and should never have left Wisconsin.

Wow, I didn't see that coming. I know a lot of people around here don't like him, but I think this is a fantastic hire.

Wow, I didn't see that coming. I know a lot of people around here don't like him, but I think this is a fantastic hire.
I hate it because it will probably work out well for Illinois, which has been a doormat for so long I often forget they are part of the conference. Basically the Rutgers of the West.

What is Iowa's plan post KF? LeVar Woods? At some point, GarBar and tbe powers at be need to make their plan known.

Decent hire but I'm not that worried that Illinois is going to set the world on fire now. He didn't do well at Arkansas after leaving Wisconsin. Maybe Barry Alvarez had something to do with his success at Wiscy? I don't know. Time will tell how this works out.

I don't think I'd want him coaching at Iowa. It's all about the open opportunity for him and would leave if given the chance. Should have stayed at Wisconsin.

For those of you worried about him poaching Iowa and ruining us....keep in mind...

Row the boat--same bravado
Frosty--same bravado
Lovie--same bravado

Nothing panned out at all.

That aside, great hire. Great ex-Hawk. Never fit in at Arky and never got along well with Alvarez. Welcome home Brett.

Pretty good hire, I agree. Guy can recruit and would guess recruiting prospects in IL will become more challenging for us than under Lovie. Will be interesting to see who his staff will consist of.

Decent hire but I'm not that worried that Illinois is going to set the world on fire now. He didn't do well at Arkansas after leaving Wisconsin. Maybe Barry Alvarez had something to do with his success at Wiscy? I don't know. Time will tell how this works out.
Barry had everything to do with why he won at Wisconsin. I'm not saying Bert isn't a good recruiter and coach...but the system was in place at Wisconsin...and Avarerez's influence extended well into Bert's tenure at Wisconsin.

It's a good hire though for Illinois. He will make recruiting Illinois a major theme. As we know...there is a lot of talent in Illinois.

I hate it because it will probably work out well for Illinois, which has been a doormat for so long I often forget they are part of the conference. Basically the Rutgers of the West.

What is Iowa's plan post KF? LeVar Woods? At some point, GarBar and tbe powers at be need to make their plan known.
I always considered him a dark horse for the Iowa job if Kirk retired
I used to think he’d be a good hire when Ferentz is finished.

No more.

Just don’t think his personality and style would work here. Ferentz’s public persona has been of a quiet leader, a family man, someone you’d feel comfortable having as a coach for your son. Solid, unflappable — maddeningly so at times. By necessity, he has developed a knack for finding the unheralded diamond in the rough and turning them into solid performers by the end of their careers, some of whom go on to play at the next level.

I think the controversy that surfaced with black athletes genuinely caught him by surprise (whether he should have been more aware of what was going on in his program is another discussion.) And I do believe those who say Kirk called the former players and sincerely listened to them.

I doubt you’d get that kind of approach from BB. More braggadocio, more denial that there’s a problem. And I think his recruiting — focusing on 4- and 5- star prospects —would yield very little at Iowa.

I predict he’ll be successful for a few years at Illinois, then flame out once again as he has at other stops.

Last edited:
Logical progression.

He is a child of the B1G, is a native of Illinois (Prophetstown, just east of Clinton and the Quad Cities) and should never have left Wisconsin.

He left Wisconsin iirc because Barry was too cheap to pay Bret's assistants the more going rate. It is a salary war out there all the time because most salaries are known. that is why so many corporations do not want their salaries posted so people know they are getting underpaid.

Latest posts