Icing the kicker...total waste or genius move?

1hawkeye1

I've never thought icing the kicker did anything. Tyler Kluver, Hawks former long snapper said the same on Twitter.

Exactly. The idea that somehow the kicker is going to choke because he has to wait another minute is absurd. He's been standing on the sidelines anticipating for a long time...if anything, it allows him to line things up, catch his breath, think thru and visualize a successful kick.

"Icing" him is making him stand on the sidelines doing nothing for an hour. Giving him a chance to loosen up and feel like he's in the game is warming him up.

Would you rather be rushed into doing something? ...or given an extra minute to gather yourself and focus?

Exactly.

Depends, cold day, if he has been warming up on the side lines. I would do it. Or if you are getting tiny wind gusts and at the time, there is no wind at all. Its worth a shot.

Did it work? Maybe he would have missed it anyway and Moss never would have been offsides if Iowa never calls time out.

all i can say is kirk called 2 to's and the kid missed the fg. but we were off sides and he made the second attempt. did kirks 2 to's cause him to miss the first one? dunno. did him not calling a to on the 2nd attempt help him to make that one? dunno. there is literally no way to prove it one way or the other.

I don't recall KF freezing kickers in the past. Especially using two timeouts.

I get the vibe that KF doesn't like the nebraska program. Maybe because the comment by their AD after their last win, as the were firing BO.

I also think he hates Ohio state because of urban Myers comments about recruiting when he was just hired by osu.

I loved being iced when I was on the free throw line. It allowed me to catch my breath and get my legs back under me.

I could take a couple deep breaths, let it fly, and still clank it off the rim!

But hey, at least I wasn't rushed.

Last edited:
I guess it would depend considering several different factors.
1.) What are the weather conditions?
2.) Who is the kicker? Senior vs. Freshman? Starter vs. backup?
3.) How important is the game?
4.) Going for a win or a tie?
5.) Is qualifying for a bowl or no bowl on the line depending outcome?
6.) How well has the kicker been making or missing FG’s during the season?
7.) How long is the FG?
8.) Is it during game or a walk off?
I guess the more factors involved can give a kicker more to think about. I would tend to call it situational and instinctional. No right or wrong answer here.

Usually it goes 1 of 2 ways, either they make it anyway, or they get the initial kick off and miss and get another chance and make it.

i suppose it depends. it "worked" at the end of the 1st half, but for an off sides.

Just because a kicker misses, doesn't mean that the "freeze" was the reason. How does one know he wouldn't have missed without the TO. Icing the kicker is not only one of the biggest sports myths of the 20th century...it's one of the biggest cultural myths.

Bull...Shit....

Last edited:
Just because a kicker misses, doesn't mean that the "freeze" was the reason. How does one know he wouldn't have missed without the TO. Icing the kicker is not only one of the biggest sports myths of the 20th century...it's one of the biggest cultural myths.

Bull...Shit....

that's why i have "worked" in quotation. it's a answer that can never be proven true. so that means that you can't prove it one way or the other.

Latest posts