I got busted today, just got home from jail

MelroseGuy

Minding my own business, sipping a cold one while strolling down Melrose. Cop comes up to me and gives me choice of dumping beer or a trip downtown. Well, I dumped the beer and was let go to head to game.

My buddy Paco hands me another cold one he had tucked away in his hip bag. I figured that I couldn't get busted twice, right? Lightning don't strike in same spot twice. Well, after cracking the top guess what...the same Mr. Cop was in my face. He proceeded to arrest me for open container and public intox. I told him it's a free country and I have a right to enjoy a beer. Mr. Cop didn't like my beligerence and attempts to cuff and stuff me. Well, it takes more then one cop to take me down! Took 3 of those dudes, those SOB's pounded me to the pavement and also busted Paco.

I guess it must of been quite a scene for the lookie lou's on Melrose as the fuzz dragged me and Paco to a squad car. Got thrown into the drunk tank at the Johnson County jail and called my mom to bail us out. Sounds like, along with the charges, we will be banned from being on Univiersity property. I guess there was a warrant out for me on some other phony charges, I just wonder if somebody recognized me and reported me to the cops on Melrose and the beer charges were just a ruse to approach me and apprhend me

I just got home and am prepared to sue President Mason, Gary Barta and the Iowa athletic department for my troubles. I want to be reimbursed or the tickets to the game which we ddin't get to see, for the public embarrsment and police brutality. Sorry for the rant guys, I always like lurking Hawkeyenation and just need to have some of my hawkeye brothers to have my back.

Contact the University and have them repeal this bogus new alcohol rules NOW!!! Better yet, let's boycott all the home games, we'll see how the U. likes an empty stadium on Saturdays. HOw would you like trumped up charges put on you?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you had it coming. Fighting with the cops was stupid decision #2.

Good luck with the lawsuit, I'm sure it will be worth the time.

a) I am not buying story this...but
b) If it did happen as you say, I'd say you knew the risk you ran, and you deserved the trip downtown.

But since this is BS, doesn't matter ;)

Now, if you produce a scanned copy of the ticket, I might change my mind...and if it is legit, I will get a chuckle out of the story

So a cop tells you he's going to arrest you if you don't comply with the law, you agree to do what he asks, and as soon as he turns his back, you break the law again? Then, you resist arrest? And you want our support?! LOL

b) If it did happen as you say, I'd say you knew the risk you ran, and you deserved the trip downtown.

It happened, call down to the jail and ask them.

Sounds like we missed a good game. I will be back, guess I'll have to go incognito wearing some groucho marx nose/mustache getup

I hope your fine is in the thousands. In fact I hope it's 10 grand I am going to send flowers to barta and the cops. You were given chance and blew it

Now, if you produce a scanned copy of the ticket, I might change my mind...and if it is legit, I will get a chuckle out of the story

i buy it. i've seen that happen at kinnick (outside, near the stadium) prior to this year, but very recently. cops will take you down and cuff you for being belligerent. and it always is a gaggle of them doing it. makes you think we live in another country at times......but yes, I realize there are rules to follow, etc.

So a cop tells you he's going to arrest you if you don't comply with the law, you agree to do what he asks, and as soon as he turns his back, you break the law again? Then, you resist arrest? And you want our support?! LOL

This.

You get what you ask for by being A: A ******. and B: Breaking the same law you just got popped for. You sir, are the reason this type of enforcement is being increased.

Was that you. Wow that lady cop beat the h--- out of you. 3 dudes? How bout 1 woman. I was embarrassed for you.

This could happen to you! You go to the game, tailgate with your bro's, aint' hurting anybody, over the age of 21 enjoying a barley pop. Cop with an attitude gets in your face. GAME OVER

I agree with Jon. A story like this win one post, yeah this is believable. Even if 100% true. You deserved it. This is coming from someone on this board who is not happy with these new rules and not being lenient on old ones.

What street did you get arrested on and what were you charged with? the only arrest on Melrose today was an OWI

This could happen to you! You go to the game, tailgate with your bro's, aint' hurting anybody, over the age of 21 enjoying a barley pop. Cop with an attitude gets in your face. GAME OVER

It wont happen to you if you obey the law, wait until you get to a tailgate area, and enjoy your drink

Ditto.

If this story is true, let me give you a pointer:
Next time (if there is a next time), take your unopened beer to one of the lots outside Kinnick, sit down on a comfy curb or grassy area, enjoy the scenery, and have a beer or two. But don't walk down Melrose with an open container, or turn around and do the very thing you were told not to do.

They call doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result something...

Upgrade your home theater...save a bunch of money...and party from home...it works...I've seen me do it ;)

Latest posts