I feel sorry for King

BILLBUCKNER

He came back for this? I bet this is the last time that a Jr who has NFL potential sticks around another year to play for this coach.

He will be fine unless he gets hurt or runs a ridiculously slow 40 at the combine or pro day. As of now, his draft status hasn't changed much.

He will be fine unless he gets hurt or runs a ridiculously slow 40 at the combine or pro day. As of now, his draft status hasn't changed much.

That opportunity cost of coming back though. It's not like NFL careers last that long. The average career lasts like 6 years or something (according to the last stat I saw). It's a HUGE deal to forgo one of those years. Don't even get me started on the risk issues associated with coming back. It legitimately makes me sad that he has to endure this.

That opportunity cost of coming back though. It's not like NFL careers last that long. The average career lasts like 6 years or something (according to the last stat I saw). It's a HUGE deal to forgo one of those years. Don't even get me started on the risk issues associated with coming back. It legitimately makes me sad that he has to endure this.

I get what you are saying, barring injury, he is still going to be a millionaire and be able to fulfill his promise to his mom about getting his degree. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone in similar situation, but as of now, it looks like it is going to work out for him.

KF obviously forbade DK from reading any football history relating to KF's tenure.

If he had, he would have seen the debacle which normally follows a great Iowa season and blown town long ago.

I get what you are saying, barring injury, he is still going to be a millionaire and be able to fulfill his promise to his mom about getting his degree. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone in similar situation, but as of now, it looks like it is going to work out for him.

Larry Station just squirted Pepsi out his nose

Last edited:
I feel for him too. Because draft stock wasn't even on his list of reasons for coming back. It was getting his degree and hoping to take Iowa to the next level... And most of the people within the program and outside of it thought that was possible before the season. His reasons for coming back were as selfless as any players has ever been. Then you get players like Hurd at TN that quit mid season mostly due to how he's being used and how it affects his draft stock.. So I hope King knows that the fans appreciate him and are totally behind him.

One has to wonder what was behind the change in his "Captain" status. There's got to be more to that story.

I don't feel bad for King at all. He came back to be a student at the U of I one more year, got to don the Hawkeye jersey one more season and play with his teammates one more year. He should feel honored to do so.

He'll be fine for the NFL draft as well.

I dont understand your logic that by staying an extra year with the hawks King will automatically lose a year to the NFL avg of a 6 year career. I bet the bell curve of that measure is pretty wide with a lot of players playing one year and getting cut and you see a lot of linemen and QBs playing a lot of years.

I dont think King had the wear and tear this year to say that if he is a really good pro he will have lost out on a year staying with the hawks. If he is good enough to get a minimum contract then play his way to a very good contract after a few years he should be set for life (but we all know how that goes with many athletes).

I was also wondering if he regrets his decision. But, I think his mother and him really value an education, so who knows.

I dont understand your logic that by staying an extra year with the hawks King will automatically lose a year to the NFL avg of a 6 year career. I bet the bell curve of that measure is pretty wide with a lot of players playing one year and getting cut and you see a lot of linemen and QBs playing a lot of years.

I dont think King had the wear and tear this year to say that if he is a really good pro he will have lost out on a year staying with the hawks. If he is good enough to get a minimum contract then play his way to a very good contract after a few years he should be set for life (but we all know how that goes with many athletes).

You don't get the logic? King is spending this year playing for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Therefore, King is not spending this year in the NFL.

When I go to the movies, my tickets cost $20 (for my girlfriend, and I). The real cost of the movie is the amount of money I could have made doing anything else. I could have mowed my neighbors' lawn for $20 bucks. I could have billed my clients $500 per hour (kidding). We have to factor this into the cost, so the real cost of going to the movie is $40 or $1020 or whatever else I could have done with my time.

I'm sure there is a bell curve effect - but it works in the opposite direction as well. Not every player is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and stays in the NFL until they're 40. The average is the only metric we can use.

But the opportunity cost is nothing compared to the risk cost.

Let's assume that King will make $20,000,000 over the course of his career and has a 1% chance of getting injured (an injury that kills his value to an NFL team) at any point while he's at Iowa before the ink can dry on an NFL contract.

We take (.01)x(20,000,000) to calculate the risk costs of coming back to Iowa this year and it yields $200,000.

I know that King isn't actually paying this much to be here, but that's what it's costing him in terms of risk. And by forgoing the NFL salary for one year, he's taking an even bigger risk. With very little upside.

Let's assume that King will make $20,000,000 over the course of his career and has a 1% chance of getting injured (an injury that kills his value to an NFL team) at any point while he's at Iowa before the ink can dry on an NFL contract.

We take (.01)x(20,000,000) to calculate the risk costs of coming back to Iowa this year and it yields $200,000

Minor correction: he's risking the amount of his first contract, not potential career earnings. Earnings from future contracts would be at risk whether he was playing at Iowa or in the League.

Also, did he get insurance?

It's impossible for me to feel sorry for a potential first round draft pick who will likely make millions in guaranteed money over the next 5 years. Cry me a river. He has had an awesome run in IC after almost being stuck at a MAC school.

Just recently re-watched the "Broke" 30/30 espn show.

I wonder how well Iowa prepares it's players as they go into the NFL regarding financial discipline. I hope King's choice to return to Iowa for another year is a sign of maturity that will help him in this way.

Otherwise it really won't matter when he gets drafted, or how many years in the league he plays.

Latest posts