Howe: Quarterback Competition a Good Sign for Iowa Football

Our first game is a conf. game?? If so, can you see Capt. Kirk starting anyone else but Petras? Seriously. We might have a QB controversy, but not until the 2nd game unless Petras implodes.
You are probably right. Could someone emerge as a game manager enough to be trusted solely based on spring ball? I don't think so. I do not expect Petras to implode. He will do fine and show growth. The question is what the competition will show.

As Rob pointed out, KF has gone away from starting QBs in the past when warranted. My personal belief, however, is that he has always been a half a season too slow in doing so.

I trust that he will get the best QB on the field next year, but like the first two posters, I would be shocked if Petras isn't the opening day starter.

Because of that, and because I have liked this kid since I saw his high school tape, I am hoping he makes a big jump in decision making and accuracy from his first to second year as a starter.

Our first game is a conf. game?? If so, can you see Capt. Kirk starting anyone else but Petras? Seriously. We might have a QB controversy, but not until the 2nd game unless Petras implodes.
Yup I agree. No matter how camp goes Petras will get 80% plus of the snaps in camp with the first team and he'll start week 1. But because he played all of last yr his leash won't be what it was last yr (basically non existent) Unless the other 2 guys stink I can't see Petras being able to play through similar not very up and mostly down play this yr without getting benched. I hope he plays well and it doesn't matter. Last thing I want is a QB battle if we can help it... The dude is capable so we'll see.

Zero chance an Iowa QB gets his first real snap against a conference opponent followed the next game by a likely top 10 ranked B1G team, a team for which beating Iowa would be probably the greatest accomplishment thus far in Matt Campbell's miserable little brother life.

Now let's say Petras comes in those first two games and stinks the joint up...

No problem, right? It's just Kent State and Colorado. Next guy up; new QB.

Wrong. If Kurt decides to bench Petras and give the keys to Padilla who (god forbid) crashes the car during the rest of our non-con---that's a disaster that this team wouldn't be able to overcome.

Write it down...Spencer Petras will be the Iowa starting quarterback until his eligibility runs out or he gets injured.

Quarterback competition is just a buzzword that gives the media something to write about and keeps them off Kirk Farence's back.

I’d like to see Hogan get a shot at it.

Hawk Hogan has a nice ring to it. “I’m going to slam ya!!!”

From what I've read, he ain't quite ready yet.
I don't know that we got to see all the video from Saturday Deuce wasn't heads above anyone at QB. The one thing he does seem to possess is an instinct for a dead play pull it down and run he did that better than anyone else. His accuracy and proficiency wasn't great. Let's face it our best weapon is our punter.

It was only one day, but Padilla definitely looked the best. Better pocket presence and seemed accurate with passes. Petras still looks to have happy feet in the pocket and not overly accurate.

Write it down...Spencer Petras will be the Iowa starting quarterback until his eligibility runs out or he gets injured.

Quarterback competition is just a buzzword that gives the media something to write about and keeps them off Kirk Farence's back.
Don't tweet this at Jake Christensen or Jake Rudock......

how long before one of Padilla or hogan transfer lout and start at another power 5 school?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts