Howe: '22 Hawkeyes Now Can Cement Special Legacy

Excellent article and those of us that have been around for a while unfortunately have suffered through a lot of disappointments.

There is something about this squad that is different. To me one of the things is they are fighters. Knock them down and they will get up and knock you down twice. Also, they have learned how to play defense. I just kept saying “wow” especially during the Indiana game. They were in Indiana’s face the whole game.

In some ways they remind me of the last Iowa team that went to the final four. That team has a superstar and a bunch of scrappy fighters surrounding him. They also had developed roles and did their part to fill those rolls.

Would love to see a repeat with this years squad………… plus one!!!

Great article Rob. But, I don't believe the Fran Fade talk was ridiculous though. The key was. Iowa has finished out relatively strong the past 2 years (currently now on warp speed).

Fully noting your sentence here, "It happens at times but other programs experience the same fate." I did not miss that.

They did fail in the last years NCAAs as a 2 seed. Not all their fault though, they played a Oregon team who was the only team in the tournament who got to skip their first game (covid reasons) and was most definitely under-seated as a PAC-10 Champion.

But, they have had more than their fair share of troubles falling a part as a program at the end of seasons. The criticism was warranted imho for the program not progressing to significant accomplishments.

But, as of now, the tide appears to be turning. Iowa perhaps has it's best chance in more than a couple of decades to get into the Sweet 16...maybe more. They have looked impressive and it has been really fun and hopefully we are just getting started.

Ditto on all of your player assessments. Iowa has the offense and they have the star player in KM. What they have been missing is guard play, defense, and killer instinct. Usually it is elite guard play and competent play on both sides of the ball that takes you far into a tournament.

I don't think Iowa has Elite Guard play still, but the guard play has become competent, the defense is looking for the most part competent, and they are playing with a killer instinct with hustle and heart. Take that along with the potential to score a lot of points and Iowa has enough tangibles to make a solid run.

My concerns is still the post players, but they are playing with heart at the moment.

I have certainly have had my criticisms of Fran, but I have always felt he has been safe on the job and is keeping Iowa competitive. I think this is his best single year to date since the early rebuilding job of his first years at Iowa. I think this team is better than last years team with Garza. Fran finally got a significant accomplishment (in conference). The Garza team of last year can't say that.

In an earlier post today, I kind of went there thinking what would happen if this team does not make the Sweet 16? What does that do for the Big Ten Tournament Title? How does that make us feel as a fan base?

I think it would take some of the luster off the Big Ten Tournament Title, but not a lot. Most certainly if they lost their first game. Maybe it would be more than a push compared to last year's team with a first round win (2nd round loss) or 1st round loss.

I think this is a successful season for Fran no matter what happens from this point on. Not a lot of people (including myself) thought they would make the NCAAs after losing Garza, JW, CJF, and Jack. Early on in the season I thought they looked NCAA worthy. Middle of the season I thought NITish. Then boom, they made a believer out of me. Strong regular season finish with a Big Ten Tournament Championship. Fantastic.

I do agree with your sentiments though......this is the year to get the boggeyman off this program's back. This is the year to get the boggeyman off Fran's back in that he can field a team that can make a significant run in the NCAAs.

I really hope (and I think they will this time) they do it. I think by doing it they can really elevate this program to being more of a national player at this time of the year. Recruiting could take a big jump, confidence in this program could take a big jump.

The glass ceiling needs to be broke. Iowa needs to finally have it's moment. It is the difference between being a good team and a great team...or a good team that can have very good things.

It is the difference between Iowa usually having that chance (when they get to the big stage) and failing and a team like Wisconsin having that chance and getting it done.

If it does not get done, it is not the end of the world, but Iowa will stay in that same familiar lane....keeping that historic doubt in the back of our minds and still questioning if Fran can get it done in the Big Dance.
We need that doubt to be erased. Maybe/hope we finally have the team that can do that.

I also think it may go further in healing some of those Mr. Davis wounds....meaning the cloud that has hung over this program since 1999. Taking a very good man with a competitive program (with some significant accomplishments) and turning over the reigns to an Asshole Coach and then a complete Inept Coach.

I want to think of Fran more than just a Rebuilding Coach. The Big Ten Tournament Title is a good start going into the NCAAs.

Exciting times, let's get it done!

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Another thing is national pundits are taking a big notice of Iowa. I have not recalled, certainly in decades, Iowa being talked about like they are right now (really both the men and women at the same time) at this time of year for basketball.

Big time pundits are putting this Iowa team in the Final Four. They are doing this because they see everything we are seeing. I hope Lucy does not pull the football away there as well and put egg on the national talking heads and they get that notion again......Iowa you let me down again what was I thinking?!

So much can be erased by having a decent run.

Last edited:
Another thing is national pundits are taking a big notice of Iowa. I have not recalled, certainly in decades, Iowa being talked about like they are right now (really both the men and women at the same time) at this time of year for basketball.

Big time pundits are putting this Iowa team in the Final Four. They are doing this because they see everything we are seeing. I hope Lucy does not pull the football away there as well and put egg on the national talking heads and they get that notion again......Iowa you let me down again what was I thinking?!

So much can be erased by having a decent run.
You’re setting yourself up for disaster listening to that shit. Just like no one predicted Iowa to do what it’s done this last stretch of games, no one is accurate about picking the future results, just lucky.

Enjoy the ride we’re on and don’t melt down if we lose. It’s not worth it. Providence is a really, really good team.

Great article Rob. But, I don't believe the Fran Fade talk was ridiculous though. The key was. Iowa has finished out relatively strong the past 2 years (currently now on warp speed).

Fully noting your sentence here, "It happens at times but other programs experience the same fate." I did not miss that.

They did fail in the last years NCAAs as a 2 seed. Not all their fault though, they played a Oregon team who was the only team in the tournament who got to skip their first game (covid reasons) and was most definitely under-seated as a PAC-10 Champion.

But, they have had more than their fair share of troubles falling a part as a program at the end of seasons. The criticism was warranted imho for the program not progressing to significant accomplishments.

But, as of now, the tide appears to be turning. Iowa perhaps has it's best chance in more than a couple of decades to get into the Sweet 16...maybe more. They have looked impressive and it has been really fun and hopefully we are just getting started.

Ditto on all of your player assessments. Iowa has the offense and they have the star player in KM. What they have been missing is guard play, defense, and killer instinct. Usually it is elite guard play and competent play on both sides of the ball that takes you far into a tournament.

I don't think Iowa has Elite Guard play still, but the guard play has become competent, the defense is looking for the most part competent, and they are playing with a killer instinct with hustle and heart. Take that along with the potential to score a lot of points and Iowa has enough tangibles to make a solid run.

My concerns is still the post players, but they are playing with heart at the moment.

I have certainly have had my criticisms of Fran, but I have always felt he has been safe on the job and is keeping Iowa competitive. I think this is his best single year to date since the early rebuilding job of his first years at Iowa. I think this team is better than last years team with Garza. Fran finally got a significant accomplishment (in conference). The Garza team of last year can't say that.

In an earlier post today, I kind of went there thinking what would happen if this team does not make the Sweet 16? What does that do for the Big Ten Tournament Title? How does that make us feel as a fan base?

I think it would take some of the luster off the Big Ten Tournament Title, but not a lot. Most certainly if they lost their first game. Maybe it would be more than a push compared to last year's team with a first round win (2nd round loss) or 1st round loss.

I think this is a successful season for Fran no matter what happens from this point on. Not a lot of people (including myself) thought they would make the NCAAs after losing Garza, JW, CJF, and Jack. Early on in the season I thought they looked NCAA worthy. Middle of the season I thought NITish. Then boom, they made a believer out of me. Strong regular season finish with a Big Ten Tournament Championship. Fantastic.

I do agree with your sentiments though......this is the year to get the boggeyman off this program's back. This is the year to get the boggeyman off Fran's back in that he can field a team that can make a significant run in the NCAAs.

I really hope (and I think they will this time) they do it. I think by doing it they can really elevate this program to being more of a national player at this time of the year. Recruiting could take a big jump, confidence in this program could take a big jump.

The glass ceiling needs to be broke. Iowa needs to finally have it's moment. It is the difference between being a good team and a great team...or a good team that can have very good things.

It is the difference between Iowa usually having that chance (when they get to the big stage) and failing and a team like Wisconsin having that chance and getting it done.

If it does not get done, it is not the end of the world, but Iowa will stay in that same familiar lane....keeping that historic doubt in the back of our minds and still questioning if Fran can get it done in the Big Dance.
We need that doubt to be erased. Maybe/hope we finally have the team that can do that.

I also think it may go further in healing some of those Mr. Davis wounds....meaning the cloud that has hung over this program since 1999. Taking a very good man with a competitive program (with some significant accomplishments) and turning over the reigns to an Asshole Coach and then a complete Inept Coach.

I want to think of Fran more than just a Rebuilding Coach. The Big Ten Tournament Title is a good start going into the NCAAs.

Exciting times, let's get it done!

Go Hawks!
Not only did we play a team with a bye but we also went from playing one of the latest games of the night to one of the earliest games two days later.

Though undersized compared to Eddy, TWilliams, Dickinson, Kofi, Harrar, etc., this team has shown they can and will fight thru that disadvantage. Then they turn around and so good on offense at taking the advantages these mismatches create.

If Rebracha was a 3pt shooter, they would be even more unstoppable.

If Iowa doesn't make the Sweet 16 this year, just wait until next year and watch them try again. This program is going to routinely put themselves in position to make post season runs as long as Fran is coaching here and IMO that's all I can ask.

You’re setting yourself up for disaster listening to that shit. Just like no one predicted Iowa to do what it’s done this last stretch of games, no one is accurate about picking the future results, just lucky.

Enjoy the ride we’re on and don’t melt down if we lose. It’s not worth it. Providence is a really, really good team.
Not going to melt down, just hoping this is finally the year Iowa breaks the glass ceiling and confirms what we all have been seeing. If not still one heck of a year by Fran and this team.

If Iowa doesn't make the Sweet 16 this year, just wait until next year and watch them try again. This program is going to routinely put themselves in position to make post season runs as long as Fran is coaching here and IMO that's all I can ask.
I hope so InGoodCo. KM will also be some big shoes to fill....but they got it done this year and the story is still being written. No JBo either...but Samford is stepping up and the guard has improved so I would feel comfortable saying they can get back to the NCAAs.

I really agree with this mindset. Iowa's championship is one for the ages, but there is always luck involved.....if JBo doesn't make that 1 in 500 shot against Indiana, and it goes to OT, do we win in OT? Maybe not.

The NCAA tournament is an absolute crapshoot. You play good teams every night, starting with Richmond. Providence is extremely good. And then you get a hot Kansas team, theoretically. Or not, if there are upsets.

Iowa has to keep playing as hard as they can...but Lady Luck will have to be there for them as well.

I really agree with this mindset. Iowa's championship is one for the ages, but there is always luck involved.....if JBo doesn't make that 1 in 500 shot against Indiana, and it goes to OT, do we win in OT? Maybe not.

The NCAA tournament is an absolute crapshoot. You play good teams every night, starting with Richmond. Providence is extremely good. And then you get a hot Kansas team, theoretically. Or not, if there are upsets.

Iowa has to keep playing as hard as they can...but Lady Luck will have to be there for them as well.
We were lucky at the end of that game. Bit we were also unlucky with the Perkins turnover. Also that shot for Bohannon is far from a 1 in 500 shot. More like 1 in 10.

This team feels different. Being around them, there's a special vibe and connection when seeing them interact on and off the court.

I think I felt that way in '06. Can't remember.

Watching the emotion yesterday was pretty cool.
I remember long time Des Moines Register columnist Marc Hansen commenting on how that kind of comerodomie wasn't there with some of Tom Davis' most legendary teams especially when compared to the Illinois and Michigan teams of the era.

To get to a final four some luck has to be involved. There will be at least one narrow escape, at least one win that could easily have been a loss.

Though undersized compared to Eddy, TWilliams, Dickinson, Kofi, Harrar, etc., this team has shown they can and will fight thru that disadvantage. Then they turn around and so good on offense at taking the advantages these mismatches create.

If Rebracha was a 3pt shooter, they would be even more unstoppable.
Not sure what to make of his lack of three point shooting. When he committed to play for Iowa I seem to remember hearing he could shoot the three.

Latest posts