How the spread offense conquered college football

As with most things there are pros and cons to the spread offense. I thinks playing conditions dictate whether or not the spread is a good idea. In cold climates or bad weather conditions it becomes limited to what you want to do. Another issue is personnel, skill players are needed in abundance because it is a high injury risk offense. I don't keep stats, but many spread QB's miss games. The other area is strategy. A spread offense will generally run more plays than a pro style offense. More plays more injury risks. Clock management strategy at the end of close games becomes critical. The spread is predicated on getting into the offense quickly and keep the defense from substituting to the set. If your trying to run out the clock and keep the ball away it isn't the best offense.

I don't think many coaches have any strategy based on the entire season. Generally they only go as far as developing strategy for each game. They can't see the forest for all the trees. There are only a few places where the spread will win you a NC. Instituting the spread because it is the flavor of the day without the personnel to perform it for an entire season makes no sense.

As with most things there are pros and cons to the spread offense. I thinks playing conditions dictate whether or not the spread is a good idea. In cold climates or bad weather conditions it becomes limited to what you want to do. Another issue is personnel, skill players are needed in abundance because it is a high injury risk offense. I don't keep stats, but many spread QB's miss games. The other area is strategy. A spread offense will generally run more plays than a pro style offense. More plays more injury risks. Clock management strategy at the end of close games becomes critical. The spread is predicated on getting into the offense quickly and keep the defense from substituting to the set. If your trying to run out the clock and keep the ball away it isn't the best offense.

I don't think many coaches have any strategy based on the entire season. Generally they only go as far as developing strategy for each game. They can't see the forest for all the trees. There are only a few places where the spread will win you a NC. Instituting the spread because it is the flavor of the day without the personnel to perform it for an entire season makes no sense.

Actually there is zero evidence pro style offenses result in fewer injuries.

As far as the ability of a spread to win the NC, basically every team runs a lot of spread concepts. OSU, Bama, LSU, Clemson, hell the Chiefs are all running some level of spread at this point.

Latest posts