How Iowa makes the tourney at 1-1 in the BTT

BryceC

A loss I think there is no shot. According to RPI Wizard, obviously not perfect, a loss would have them with an RPI of 81 and an SOS of 46, that’s just not going to happen. Two wins, we can all agree Iowa is in. However, the interesting scenario is if Iowa wins one.

Iowa with a win vs. and a loss against Wiscy would put them at 19-14, RPI 69 and SOS 42.

According to Bracket Matrix, the last four in are Wake, Cuse, Vandy, and Illinois State.

The last four out are URI, Illinois, KSU, and Cal. Iowa is #5.

I think Wake and Illinois State are likely in – Wake’s RPI is 32, Ill State is 30.

The interesting two are Cuse and Vandy. Vandy has only has 17 wins. If they lose in the first round of the SEC against A&M, they’d be 17-15. If that happens I don’t care what the numbers are, I don’t think the committee puts them in. If they beat A&M and lose to Florida, they’d be 18-15 but I still think they’d be in because their SOS would be #1.

Cuse will play Miami. If they lose that, it’s ova, they’d have an RPI of 85. If they win though, and lose to UNC, they’d have an RPI of 69 w/ and SOS of 41, putting them almost with the exact same resume as Iowa, so in that case let’s be honest, Cuse is getting the nod.

That leaves URI, Illinois, KSU, and Cal.

URI IMO does get in over Iowa because they have a great RPI, 2-4 vs. top 50, and there will likely be very few mid-majors with at larges this year so they’ll take a ton of heat for leaving out anybody who might be deemed worthy.

Illinois is going to play Michigan in the B10 tourney, and if they win that and lose Iowa definitely is in over them. If they win though they’d have an RPI of 57 and an SOS of 15, with two head to heads, and they’d get the nod over Iowa.

KSU has an RPI of 58. If they lose, their numbers don’t really change – RPI 58, SOS 42. However they have lost a LOT of games in the back half of their schedule and I’d give Iowa the nod over them if they do lose. If they beat Baylor however IMO they are clearly in.

Cal I don’t like – RPI of 56, 1-7 vs. top 50, Even if they beat OSU, then lose to Utah, RPI 59 SOS 55, IMO Iowa would jump them.

Regardless, the point is that I don’t think Iowa jumps many teams if they go 1-1, unless all of those teams lose. Iowa needs to root hard for Cuse, Vandy, KSU, Illinois, and Cal to lose. That really helps clear a path for them without having to win two games in DC.

I am in the minority here but I think it's as simple as - beat Indiana and you're in. Lose and you're out.

IMO - and again - this is just how I "feel" - i don't know dick and that's been demonstrated on here several times. Just my gut.

Lose on thursday - Hawks are still watching selection sunday - but probably not in. Probably a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT but depending on how the rest of the world of college hoops goes - they could still make the play in

Win Thursday - they're in - 10 seed or play in

Win Thursday and Friday - certainly in - probably a 9 seed

Win Thursday, Friday, Saturday - in probably an 8

Win it all - in - probably still an 8.

The RPI seems really flawed. How a team that plays in the SEC end up with the #1 SOS? REALLY?? Does the RPI think this is football season?

I still think they need to get to the finals. RPI is too low.

The RPI will be in the high to mid 60's if they beat Indiana and probably even if they lose it will get a bump - that's high enough to get in because teams have had higher and still got in during seasons where the bubble isn't this soft. Also, Syracuse is considered "in" as of now and they have a RPI of 77 (higher than Iowa's) - I think RPI is a tool they use, not the end all.

I still think they need to get to the finals. RPI is too low.

RPI jumps into the upper 50s with wins over Indiana and Wisconsin. They wouldn't be a lock but I like their chances.

Very low chance Iowa can get in with only 1 win though. We would need a lot of help and no upsets in the conference tournaments.

ILLINI RPI is FIFTEEN points higher than IA. We were 10-8. They were 8-10. And their OOC schedule seemed similar to ours. Actually think ours LOOKED tougher (but we lost 2 more OOC games than them).

Without getting too scientific here, I think we're out if we lose Thursday, we're sweating if we win Thursday but lose on Friday, and we're in if we win both Thursday and Friday.

Getting into some of the "nerd" stuff....I think this committee is going to put the most weight on Top 50 wins rather than just overall RPI. You can really "cheat the system" with the RPI by playing a large portion of your game against teams in the 51-150 range, but have little to nothing to show for it in the Top 50 games. That's why I think the committee is going to lean heavily that way. This bodes well for us as we have a lot of wins against Top 50 competition, with a couple coming just recently. On the flip side, all of our bad losses were early in the year.

I think Illinois State is this year's mid major sacrificial lamb (the low RPI mid major that gets left out). They didn't do squat against the Top 50 and the MVC is so bad this year.

I have a hard time thinking that the committee is going to want to set a precedent by awarding a bid to the first team with more than 14 losses, so I don't think Vandy makes it.

further examining IL vs IA RPI.....
every school plays 5 teams twice. Let's compare...
IA IL
MD MD (wash)
IL IA (wash)
PUR MICH (advantage: IA)
NEB PSU (wash)
RUT NW (adv: IL)

still don't understand how IL RPI is so much higher!

IA IL
MD MD (wash)
IL IA (wash)
NEB PSU (wash)

well, IL does own 2 wins over Iowa - but fortunately for IA, IL tanked against Rutgers the other day - I think they gotta win Thursday to feel good.

OP, I believe IL State is in deep do and will be out the minute any bub team wins even one game in their conf tourney. So there is one team out of the way. IL, that's a joke they just crashed at Rutgers and finished two games behind the Hawks. As long as Iowa plays in the BTT as far as IL, we are getting the nod over them every time. And Cal....tanking, committee does not like that.

There, did that make it easier?

IL State racks up wins in a garbage conference, other than Wich St., and has like 2 wins for top 100 RPI yet their RPI is so good?

IA IL
MD MD (wash)
IL IA (wash)
NEB PSU (wash)

Their strength of schedule is higher and Iowa played 1 extra game. Take a look at the OOC, Iowa played 3 teams with RPI's over 300 (Rio Grande, Delaware St, and Stetson) and Illinois highest RPI OOC opponent was Detroit at 292. The funny thing is if you drop 1 of Iowa's wins against one of those +300 RPI teams the RPI drops 5 spots from 72 down to 67 and the SOS drops from 47 down to 34.

For fun I dropped all 3 games to make Iowa's record 15-13, their RPI would have been 61 with a SOS of 19. Other than giving the young team a scrimmage their is no benefit from playing teams like that.

I am in the minority here but I think it's as simple as - beat Indiana and you're in. Lose and you're out.

I kind of lined that out in my first post - I think that's certainly a possibility. However, they are going to be competing with a lot of teams with similiar resumes.

Their strength of schedule is higher and Iowa played 1 extra game. Take a look at the OOC, Iowa played 3 teams with RPI's over 300 (Rio Grande, Delaware St, and Stetson) and Illinois highest RPI OOC opponent was Detroit at 292. The funny thing is if you drop 1 of Iowa's wins against one of those +300 RPI teams the RPI drops 5 spots from 72 down to 67 and the SOS drops from 47 down to 34.

For fun I dropped all 3 games to make Iowa's record 15-13, their RPI would have been 61 with a SOS of 19. Other than giving the young team a scrimmage their is no benefit from playing teams like that.

This is why the RPI is stupid.. I can see not getting benefit from playing weak teams, but to literally be penalized for winning those games.. I get SOS and all, but remove those wins and your RPI goes up.. Use the RPI as a tool, sure, but it definitely shouldn't be all that's looked at.

Like most of you, put me in this camp of opinions:

Lose Thursday = NIT
Lose Friday = shaky ground, but still a "maybe"
Make it to Saturday or beyond = NCAA

This is why the RPI is stupid.. I can see not getting benefit from playing weak teams, but to literally be penalized for winning those games.. Use the RPI as a tool, sure, but it definitely shouldn't be all that's looked at.

IMO we get a new NCAA approved metric next year. However, look at the RPI, 75% of the calculation is based on SOS. Schedule is just huge.

IMO we get a new NCAA approved metric next year. However, look at the RPI, 75% of the calculation is based on SOS. Schedule is just huge.

I'm more a fan of "who have you beaten" and not so much the fact that you've racked up some cupcake wins. If you still have a batch of solid wins, IMO you've proven yourself.

This is why the RPI is stupid.. I can see not getting benefit from playing weak teams, but to literally be penalized for winning those games.. I get SOS and all, but remove those wins and your RPI goes up.. Use the RPI as a tool, sure, but it definitely shouldn't be all that's looked at.

Like most of you, put me in this camp of opinions:

Lose Thursday = NIT
Lose Friday = shaky ground, but still a "maybe"
Make it to Saturday or beyond = NCAA

It isn't a perfect tool but it does expose teams that pile up a bunch of wins against garbage opponents.

It isn't a perfect tool but it does expose teams that pile up a bunch of wins against garbage opponents.

Well that's definitely true. Though if you schedule light, you'll probably have fewer quality wins, which of course is a consideration.

Obviously, if you schedule a tough OOC schedule, you'll probably have at least a couple extra quality wins, provided you're a legit team. So I'm still a proponent of having a reasonably challenging schedule.

So I guess you could say I don't care as much what your overall record is just as long as you've proven you can beat other good teams. Whether some of your OOC wins are in the 300's or 200's, I don't think changes much.

Latest posts