How Iowa could still win the West Division

guffus

It's a long shot but If Iowa goes 7-1 the rest of the way, with the 1 loss probably @PSU, then maybe. .

Wisc still needs to play @Mich, @NW and @PSU. If Wisconsin loses all 3 of those games, then Iowa wins the division at 7-2, 10-2

Oh, who am I kidding. It's over. Time to start looking at Holiday Bowl tickets. I hear San Diego is nice in December.

It's a long shot but If Iowa goes 7-1 the rest of the way, with the 1 loss probably @PSU, then maybe. .

Wisc still needs to play @Mich, @NW and @PSU. If Wisconsin loses all 3 of those games, then Iowa wins the division at 7-2, 10-2

Oh, who am I kidding. It's over. Time to start looking at Holiday Bowl tickets. I hear San Diego is nice in December.

Wisconsin still has two tough games on their schedule. Michigan and Penn State. It's is possible for them to lose to someone else on their schedule but doubtful. Northwestern is a basket case right now. Thorson is hurt. Until he gets 100% they are going to struggle. Purdue might be a challenge. Their offense will test a secondary. And their defense is improving.

This was Iowa's shot at the West. It's gone. But this can still be a very good year. Other than Penn State I don't see a loss for Iowa.

I don't think it's out of the question. Purdue bounced back against a solid BC team this weekend, and they have a passing attack that should scare Wisconsin (and us, frankly). I think 7-1 wouldn't win the west, but if we could pull 8-0 out of our asses, I could plausibly see Wisconsin tripping up twice to give us the division.

I don't think it's out of the question. Purdue bounced back against a solid BC team this weekend, and they have a passing attack that should scare Wisconsin (and us, frankly). I think 7-1 wouldn't win the west, but if we could pull 8-0 out of our asses, I could plausibly see Wisconsin tripping up twice to give us the division.

Yes it would take Iowa winning out to win the division. I don't think this Wisconsin team will win out. I think they will incur two more losses. Michigan and Penn State.

I'm fully expecting Wisconsin to line up with 10 offensive linemen and Taylor or Deal in the wildcat. 3200 pound of beef and a 240 pound running back.

That being said...I just don't think their defense is that great. If they were to lose Connelly or the other LB...they would give up a ton of points. I'm curious how they will do against a Purdue or someone who slings it around...Penn State for example...Penn State and Purdue can outscore them. Michigan has some big boys in the middle too.

It's not over yet...but if they beat Michigan on 10/13...it's probably over. I don't see them losing two after that.

Iowa’s shot is to beat Penn State. End of story. If Iowa runs the board, they have a solid chance. If they don’t, they almost certainly don’t win. The possible options for Iowa to win are if Wisconsin goes 8-4 and Iowa goes 10-2, or if Wisconsin goes 9-3 and Iowa goes 11-1. The only realistic opportunity requires Iowa not to lose another game.

Wisconsin will lose at least two more games. I don't know if we can win out but if we can we should win the West. If our OL plays like they did and Stanley plays like he did in the first 3 quarters, I like our chances in each of the remaining games. That being said, it would be difficult for any team to win out, except maybe an Alabama, even if we're a favorite in each game except PSU. If we can get by PSU, which I think we have about a 40% chance, we are probably favorites in every other game and we have a decent shot.

Wisconsin still has two tough games on their schedule. Michigan and Penn State. It's is possible for them to lose to someone else on their schedule but doubtful. Northwestern is a basket case right now. Thorson is hurt. Until he gets 100% they are going to struggle. Purdue might be a challenge. Their offense will test a secondary. And their defense is improving.

This was Iowa's shot at the West. It's gone. But this can still be a very good year. Other than Penn State I don't see a loss for Iowa.

Maryland, Purdue and Northwestern will be tough outs for Iowa I wouldn't get overconfident. That is why the Wisconsin loss is so huge they can't stub their toe against anybody.

Iowa’s shot is to beat Penn State. End of story. If Iowa runs the board, they have a solid chance. If they don’t, they almost certainly don’t win. The possible options for Iowa to win are if Wisconsin goes 8-4 and Iowa goes 10-2, or if Wisconsin goes 9-3 and Iowa goes 11-1. The only realistic opportunity requires Iowa not to lose another game.

Iowa not losing another game is unrealistic.

Completely! There is almost no chance. These threads pop up every year it’s quite comical.

IMO - a West title is still very possible. CFB rarely goes the way everyone predicts it will. That said, it took a big dent Saturday. I don't get why everyone wants to fire people this morning tho. Did they expect to win a national title this year? The B1G season is only 1 game in so I don't know why everyone needs fired at this point of the year, no one has won or lost it yet after 1 game.

Maryland, Purdue and Northwestern will be tough outs for Iowa I wouldn't get overconfident. That is why the Wisconsin loss is so huge they can't stub their toe against anybody.

I don't think Maryland is a pushover by any means. But I do think Iowa can beat them. Especially since the game is in Kinnick. Purdue like I stated can be tough, because it looks like their very young defense is growing quickly. Northwestern is a dumpster fire right now. They have to do a 180 to show they can hang with Iowa.

I agree, watch out for Purdue, they looked much better last week and we have to play there as well.

I don't think Maryland is a pushover by any means. But I do think Iowa can beat them. Especially since the game is in Kinnick. Purdue like I stated can be tough, because it looks like their very young defense is growing quickly. Northwestern is a dumpster fire right now. They have to do a 180 to show they can hang with Iowa.
Larkin just quit football. NU is toast. Which means they will probably beat Iowa in the only game Fitz probably gives a shit about at this point.

I agree, watch out for Purdue, they looked much better last week and we have to play there as well.
That Blough kid is gonna look like frickin' Dan Marino against our secondary. They hung with Mizzou, but just got outscored in a shootout. They can put up some points.

I think predicting Iowa from week to week is more challenging than building rockets. Can win or lose any game, any week. So I guess I’ll just say we will see what comes up after the bye week in Minny.

IMO - a West title is still very possible. CFB rarely goes the way everyone predicts it will. That said, it took a big dent Saturday. I don't get why everyone wants to fire people this morning tho. Did they expect to win a national title this year? The B1G season is only 1 game in so I don't know why everyone needs fired at this point of the year, no one has won or lost it yet after 1 game.

Fair point. But it has actually happened to Iowa twice before. In 1991 and 2004. Lose the B1G opener to the eventual champion and Rose Bowl participant and Iowa was unable to make up enough ground even though they ran the table after those losses to finish 7-1. Largely because Michigan ran the table in 1991 and lost only once in 2004.

Point is losing the opener to the main competition is like losing twice. Where as hypothetically speaking, losing the home opener in horrible upset fashion to a NW, Nebraska, or better yet Maryland would have been more humbling but still left Iowa with a better chance to get back on top. Obviously they're going to need a lot of help and somehow manage to finish 7-2

Latest posts