House of Cards has collapsed.... and its a good thing

hwks1

We all know how improbable this season has been. The offense is probably weaker than it has ever been. THe defense is solid but has greatly benefited by opponent give aways.

So the house of cards has fallen...i'm happy it happened now so that maybe the team and staff can focus on holding the tape and baling wire together to hold onto the West?

Let's be honest, the Hawks could lose three up coming games... i dont see any team they can out score?

Your a Hawk fan? Why is it a good thing? We could lose them all, not a good thing though. I believe this was a hangover game, two weeks from now we will be the fresh team with a better game plan. Take it game to game, a lot can happen in two weeks.

On one hand, losing this game is horrible for continuing to try to push this program through another glass ceiling (making the playoffs).

On the other hand, the house of cards falling down on us now also potentially saves us from the great agony of getting blown out by an SEC team in those said playoffs. Heck, that could even happen in the BTT against Ohio St (which I think is going to make it from the East when it is all said and done).

Technically, it is still all there for Iowa potentially (even a small chance at the playoffs, but Iowa would have run the table and get help nationally now, unlikely).

Obviously, we were not able to deal with the hype for whatever reason and whatever problems are plaguing our offense (QB and line play today and really all year), defense (out-schemed today), or specials teams (missed chip-shot fg today). Hopefully, they can regroup over the next couple of weeks and play much better at Wisconsin and Northwestern before coming back to Kinnick.

The goal has to be winning the West now.....and probably deep down always should have been the goal with this team anyway.

Last edited:
This is why I preach that rankings are total bullshit. All they do is get a fan base overhyped and cause meltdowns. Doesn’t matter if you’re #2, #22, or unranked.

The goal has always been, and always will be, win the division, make the CCG, and win the conference. That’s it. And we’re still leading the west. Relax

This is why I preach that rankings are total bullshit. All they do is get a fan base overhyped and cause meltdowns. Doesn’t matter if you’re #2, #22, or unranked.

The goal has always been, and always will be, win the division, make the CCG, and win the conference. That’s it. And we’re still leading the west. Relax
Have to agree Clearly Iowa at #2 was ridiculous And we still have a chance to win the West in a division believe it or not Purdue looks to be the best team.
As far as relax I can't remember being excited any time Iowa had the ball Saturday

Have to agree Clearly Iowa at #2 was ridiculous And we still have a chance to win the West in a division believe it or not Purdue looks to be the best team.
As far as relax I can't remember being excited any time Iowa had the ball Saturday

I guess my take it at the time Iowa was ranked #2 I'm not sure how ridiculous it was. Someone has to be ranked #2 and at the time we were 6-0 with wins against 3 teams that were ranked and a win over PSU who's still a top 10 team. So I have no issue with them being ranked #2 going into Saturday's game. The question now is can we right the ship and stay in the top 25. We're halfway through the season things will work themselves out.

We're not leading the West. Purdue has the tiebreaker. I wish people would pay attention to that.

Rankings mean you are a good football team. You think all that national press hurt Iowa?

It's ok to be blown out by a blue blood because of talent disparity. It's another to be blown out because of talent differential by a team in the midst of the longest P5 AP unranked streak of all-time. This was like losing to Northwestern after beating them for 17 straight years bad.

And if you payed attention, Purdue took the Iowa Way, You can only win with short runs, punts, and smart conservative football because not passing helps your defense, and flushed that down the toilet. Purdue had a flashy, exciting offense and a stingy defense. It can be done.

We all know how improbable this season has been. The offense is probably weaker than it has ever been. THe defense is solid but has greatly benefited by opponent give aways.

So the house of cards has fallen...i'm happy it happened now so that maybe the team and staff can focus on holding the tape and baling wire together to hold onto the West?

Let's be honest, the Hawks could lose three up coming games... i dont see any team they can out score?
Well if the offense plays like they did Saturday and we dont get positive turnovers we likely will lose more.

A lot of people take it for granted because we're so used to seeing how they work, but rankings are truly bizarre.

It's a mix of finger in the win guess of who would beat who on a neutral field but with a game of "knockout" mixed in for good measure.

If you and everyone ahead of you wins, everyone holds station. If teams in front of you lose, they fall and you move up. On the rare occurrences where a correction occurs that doesn't match the unwritten poll rules, people lose their minds.

If the poll actually sought to be a legitimate quality ranking, on a semi regular basis, losing teams would move up and winning teams would move down. As the season wore on, you'd also have 2 loss teams ranked ahead of undefeated teams (and not just 2 loss P5s ahead of undefeated G5s - I mean within the P5 ranks).

Yet, the fans fall for it every year and the pollsters keep following the dumb rules. But the pollsters grew up with this nonsense too and either (a) take it as face value or (b) try to not stir the pot for fear of being doxxed.

A lot of people take it for granted because we're so used to seeing how they work, but rankings are truly bizarre.

It's a mix of finger in the win guess of who would beat who on a neutral field but with a game of "knockout" mixed in for good measure.

If you and everyone ahead of you wins, everyone holds station. If teams in front of you lose, they fall and you move up. On the rare occurrences where a correction occurs that doesn't match the unwritten poll rules, people lose their minds.

If the poll actually sought to be a legitimate quality ranking, on a semi regular basis, losing teams would move up and winning teams would move down. As the season wore on, you'd also have 2 loss teams ranked ahead of undefeated teams (and not just 2 loss P5s ahead of undefeated G5s - I mean within the P5 ranks).

Yet, the fans fall for it every year and the pollsters keep following the dumb rules. But the pollsters grew up with this nonsense too and either (a) take it as face value or (b) try to not stir the pot for fear of being doxxed.
The only thing anyone should focus on is divisional standings (except for B12 teams). Win your division and you get to play for the conference championship. That should be Iowa’s goal.

Not the AP ranking, and certainly not national titles. That will never happen. Ever. Iowa is never going to beat the top rated team in America one week and then the #2 or 3 team in America the following week. People should accept that.

Or they can be like nebraska fans, I guess.

What they should do is only come out with new rankings every 3 weeks. And never to start the season. Look at ISU and Indiana. They’re both fake news but highly rated at the start of the year. Come out with a poll at week 3, 6, 9, and end of the year. It’d still be complete and total bullshit, but at least it wouldn’t be so schizophrenic.

What they should do is only come out with new rankings every 3 weeks. And never to start the season. Look at ISU and Indiana. They’re both fake news but highly rated at the start of the year. Come out with a poll at week 3, 6, 9, and end of the year. It’d still be complete and total bullshit, but at least it wouldn’t be so schizophrenic.
I would agree that Indiana was "fake news", but as much as it pains me to say this, the jury is still out on ISU. While they have 2 losses, both were to ranked teams who are each sitting at 6-1. I hope they continue to do well, all that does is help us with strength of schedule.

Your a Hawk fan? Why is it a good thing? We could lose them all, not a good thing though. I believe this was a hangover game, two weeks from now we will be the fresh team with a better game plan. Take it game to game, a lot can happen in two weeks.
I don't think the 'hangover game' pertains to this so much. That Purdue team beats us 8 out of 10 times. It's their schemes being executed against how we play. To beat them it'd take quick pressure by our front 4 and that wasn't happening. Their QB was on the money and Bell is as good a WR as their is in college. Brohm worked in the other 2 qbs and put our D in conflict allowing them to run now and then just enough to keep us honest. I don't think it was an effort thing by our guys. They just couldn't get quick penetration often enough to disrupt what they do.

And that said we gave up 24 pts... Not exactly a crazy number in todays college football. We should still win games giving up that much....

I would agree that Indiana was "fake news", but as much as it pains me to say this, the jury is still out on ISU. While they have 2 losses, both were to ranked teams who are each sitting at 6-1. I hope they continue to do well, all that does is help us with strength of schedule.
I get the sentiment; I really do.

But in truth it doesn't help us with anything. Schedules don't help any team out other than maybe some perception points in the polls, but the polls don't matter themselves. If the Hawks were to win the conference having beaten a 2-10 ISU or a 10-2 ISU team it wouldn't matter one bit.

SOS is strictly a perception thing.

The only thing anyone should focus on is divisional standings (except for B12 teams). Win your division and you get to play for the conference championship. That should be Iowa’s goal.

Not the AP ranking, and certainly not national titles. That will never happen. Ever. Iowa is never going to beat the top rated team in America one week and then the #2 or 3 team in America the following week. People should accept that.

Or they can be like nebraska fans, I guess.
Yeah, ok, fine but this is not what brings me back to HN.

Can you please post another response but make your argument in the form of how how much Petras and BF suck?

I actually saw yet another post within the last 24-48 hours wondering why Padilla couldn't get some snaps at the end of the game.

Omfg, why?!? Guys, he is an emergency option only. I'm sure he's a great kid and I thank him for the blood, sweat, and tears he's put into the program, but he is not a P5 QB.

This is like when, a year or two ago, the Broncos had to play some 2nd or 3rd string WR at QB due to injury. It's that much of a drop off.

If Petras goes down, we are truly boned. It's not going to matter if Padilla has taken a bunch of garbage time snaps at that point, it's really not.

That's different than saying "Petras is the greatest QB in program history". No, but I have eyeballs, and he's *way* better than Padilla.

Latest posts