Hoiberg to Arkansas?

hoxrock

I'm not so sure Hoiberg to Nebraska is the done deal everyone thinks it is. Arkansas has better fan support and would be an easier draw for recruits than Lincoln where fans live for football 24/7/365 and basketball plays 2nd fiddle by alot. If Father Fred wanted to open up his incoming transfer business again Arkansas would let him recruit any player he wanted. Not so sure Nebraska would be so permissive.

I keep hearing in the Twin Cities that he may also be considered as the GM for the Timberwolves which to me makes more sense as I believe he has stated publicly he would prefer the NBA

So he can pull an Altman? I'm not so sure he'd fit in down there any better frankly. That's a weird ass place over there. He's more of an NBA guy. Whatever he chooses to do in college will be temporary. 2-3 yrs tops

Kelvin Sampson's name has popped up for this job. It sounds like he has a prior relationship with the Razorbacks' athletic director. But Kelvin is a little busy at the moment. His Houston team is still alive in the tournament.

Speaking of Houston, it's nice to see them relevant again. That program always has potential, largely because it is a fertile area for talent. When Phi Slama Jama was at its peak, Akeem Olajuwon was the only non Houston or New Orleans native on the team.

Kelvin Sampson's name has popped up for this job. It sounds like he has a prior relationship with the Razorbacks' athletic director. But Kelvin is a little busy at the moment. His Houston team is still alive in the tournament.

Speaking of Houston, it's nice to see them relevant again. That program always has potential, largely because it is a fertile area for talent. When Phi Slama Jama was at its peak, Akeem Olajuwon was the only non Houston or New Orleans native on the team.

Which begs the question why Kelvin would leave for Arkansas? As long as Tilman Fertitta is involved Houston can pay Kelvin at least as much as Arkansas perhaps more. He's 62 and has been all over the place. Houston is a great place to set roots for a while for the reasons you mentioned.

Side note: I kept typing Ralph instead of Kelvin

Our resident historian strikes again. :) Love it.

There's no way that Hoiberg is going to "Pig Suey" land....he'd end up leaving a day later like Altman did....

Which begs the question why Kelvin would leave for Arkansas? As long as Tilman Fertitta is involved Houston can pay Kelvin at least as much as Arkansas perhaps more. He's 62 and has been all over the place. Houston is a great place to set roots for a while for the reasons you mentioned.

Side note: I kept typing Ralph instead of Kelvin
I've never lived in Houston and I'm not particularly religious....but as often as Houston is under water these days, I'd think God was determined to wipe it off the face of the Earth. One monsoon after another. I'd leave as quickly as I could.

Why would Arkansas want hoibert.. He bombed out in the pros. He did do pretty good with the Michigan state transfers he got from his friend izzo. I think his son walked on at Michigan state and is playing for izzo.

I remember watching the Game of the Century in SF on a Sony 9" Trinitron. It was one of the better college basketball games ever. The anticipation was enormous and even a lot of the Hippie population were watching it

Number 1 UCLA with Lou Alcindor vs Number 2 Houston with Elvin Hayes, TheBig E

college-basketball-ucla-lew-alcindor-in-action-tip-off-vs-houston-picture-id103650243

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...madness-how-1968s-game-century-forever-shaped

Psi Slama Jama played The Doctors of Dunk in the NCAA Tournament: Houston vs Louisville

"The national semifinal game on April 2, 1983, between Phi Slama Jama and Louisville's Doctors of Dunk is still regarded as one of the greatest NCAA Tournament games of all time. No. 1 vs. No. 2.

Houston had 13 dunks, 11 coming in the second half, to erase an eight-point deficit and beat Louisville 94-81. Olajuwon, who had 21 points, 22 rebounds and eight dunks, called it "a game you remember for a lifetime."

"I've never seen a dunking display like that during a real game," Louisville's Scooter McCray said afterward."

:cool:

Last edited:
I remember watching the Game of the Century in SF on a Sony 9" Trinitron. It was one of the better college basketball games ever. The anticipation was enormous and even a lot of the Hippie population were watching it

college-basketball-ucla-lew-alcindor-in-action-tip-off-vs-houston-picture-id103650243

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...madness-how-1968s-game-century-forever-shaped

Psi Slama Jammn played The Doctors of Dunk in the NCAA Tournament: Houston vs Louisville

"The national semifinal game on April 2, 1983, between Phi Slama Jama and Louisville's Doctors of Dunk is still regarded as one of the greatest NCAA Tournament games of all time. No. 1 vs. No. 2.

Houston had 13 dunks, 11 coming in the second half, to erase an eight-point deficit and beat Louisville 94-81. Olajuwon, who had 21 points, 22 rebounds and eight dunks, called it "a game you remember for a lifetime."

"I've never seen a dunking display like that during a real game," Louisville's Scooter McCray said afterward."

Little did Akeem know that just 48 hours later he play in a game you really remember for a lifetime.:)

When Louisville's doctors of dunk played UNLV in 1977 Sports Illustrated's Curry Kirkpatrick, the best known spotswriter of the time, came up with one of the best lines I can remember. Tarkanian's Rebels played maximum uptempo. Kirkpatrick proclaimed that if Louisville were the doctors of dunk, then the Rebels had to be the Captains of Kangaroo.

Elvin Hayes, like the Phi Slama Jama teams, was coached by Guy Lewis, who probably did more without winning a national championship than any college coach ever. He finally retired in 1986. The top candidate to replace him was Tom Davis. By twist of fate, the Iowa job opened up soon after. Lute Olson, of all people, is widely credited with tipping Davis that Iowa could be a good job for him. Lute ran into Bruce Pearl at an airport on the way to Final Four obligations when he pulled Pearl aside and told him not to let Davis take the Houston job until he had talked to (Iowa Athletic Director) Bump Elliott.

Psi Slama Jammn played The Doctors of Dunk in the NCAA Tournament: Houston vs Louisville

I was just a kid, but I remember very well watching that game with my Dad and I remember the interview Jimmy Valvano gave right after Houston beat Louisville.
He said he'd never seen so much athletic talent on one court in his life and said (jokingly) that his team was gonna hold the ball for the first 20 minutes when they played Houston for the Championship! What a great sense of humor, what a leader and what a great man he was.
Basketball was lucky to have Jimmy V as long as we did.

So Clyde Drexler didn't have a clue in what he was doing? He became the poster child of never hiring the alum. Which no one followed because countless dudes that came after got jobs at their alma mater .

I was just a kid, but I remember very well watching that game with my Dad and I remember the interview Jimmy Valvano gave right after Houston beat Louisville.
He said he'd never seen so much athletic talent on one court in his life and said (jokingly) that his team was gonna hold the ball for the first 20 minutes when they played Houston for the Championship! What a great sense of humor, what a leader and what a great man he was.
Basketball was lucky to have Jimmy V as long as we did.

Watch this 12-0 run by Phi Slamma Jamma vs Louisville in the 1983. 4 dunks included with the last one by Clyde Drexler being a 10 on the difficulty scale. And, Hakeem gets every rebound on the defensive end. This team was incredible and still was not able to win the Title.

Watch this 12-0 run by Phi Slamma Jamma vs Louisville in the 1983. 4 dunks included with the last one by Clyde Drexler being a 10 on the difficulty scale. And, Hakeem gets every rebound on the defensive end. This team was incredible and still was not able to win the Title.

Drexler's foul trouble was a key to Houston not being able to put NC State away when they got up in the second half. Going against conventional wisdom, Lewis kept him out there with two first fouls. Drexler picked up a third. Lewis couldn't get Benny Anders to the scorers table in time. Sure enough Drexler got loose on a break and was ready for one his famous poster dunks when Terry Gannon somehow not only got back, he drew an offensive foul. Drexler now had four and it wasn't even halftime yet. A huge break for NC State in a tournament where they got a lot of them.

Drexler's foul trouble was a key to Houston not being able to put NC State away when they got up in the second half. Going against conventional wisdom, Lewis kept him out there with two first fouls. Drexler picked up a third. Lewis couldn't get Benny Anders to the scorers table in time. Sure enough Drexler got loose on a break and was ready for one his famous poster dunks when Terry Gannon somehow not only got back, he drew an offensive foul. Drexler now had four and it wasn't even halftime yet. A huge break for NC State in a tournament where they got a lot of them.

Also, go to 3:35 of the video I linked (player getting oxygen). Apparently, Houston players struggled to adjust to the altitude in Albuquerque, including Hakeem leaving the Title game multiple times to get oxygen. This caused Houston to play slower than they liked.

That's the sort of stuff I forget over time... Man that brings back memories thanks

Latest posts