Hogan to Kentucky

I think this says what a lot of Hawkeye fans refused to admit or accept…

Everyone said that Hogan was the new wonder boy, but it’s possible and probably likely, that the kid was a recruiting miss and just wasn’t very good by P5 standards.

If his best option was to go to Kentucky as a walk-on behind a starter who has 2 years of eligibility left, that tells the tale (to me at least).

Everyone said that Hogan was the new wonder boy, but it’s possible and probably likely, that the kid was a recruiting miss and just wasn’t very good by P5 standards.

If his best option was to go to Kentucky as a walk-on behind a starter who has 2 years of eligibility left, that tells the tale (to me at least).

And Levis for Kentuck made some pretty good throws in the citrus bowl and he looked better passing than against Iowa the season before at PSU. With his size and running ability I doubt he loses his job. So you are most likely on the mark

You just never know, man. Baker Mayfield was a walk on. Some dudes are practice heroes. Some dudes are gamers. If you don't get meaningful playing time as a QB and then attempt to transfer, I don't think many schools will look at you unless it is something like a modern day Matt Cassell situation.

The fact that he is walking on says a lot. Levis has two years left? He looked into his draft status prior to the bowl game and decided to come back. I think he is probably gone after the 2022 season but you never know. I could see Deuce getting a scholly at some point and he probably thinks he can compete after Levis is gone. If he doesn't get the job, then what? We'll see what happens here.

Look, the kid had nothing to leverage except high school tape. Counter that with the fact that he was stuck on a depth chart with two QBs who are clearly below average, and why would any school of note offer him a scholly? I suspect the kid can afford the tuition and is betting on himself that he can win the starting job in a couple years. We shall see.

But, if I had to bet I would go with Fry's take. Overrated high school player who was the product of a great high school system.

I'd have lost $ on him landing there.. I figured he'd have went somewhere in TX or closer to home. ESPECIALLY since he's having to walk on and not get a scholly at all. If UK was giving him a scholly and nowhere in TX would then sure I get that.

Walking on to UK to be a backup (maybe 3rd string there too) doesn't exactly seem like a step up from being 3rd string while under scholly at Iowa. So weird.

NIL might be a factor I suppose maybe a booster is paying for his school so UK can keep scholly available for someone else? I wouldn't rule out that happening at some places. But if not then the dude really was short on options

From what ive seen the last few QB recruits they love the guy who is a game manager doesnt throw very many interceptions. If you look at there QB recruits they all never throw very many INT.
I disagree with this completely. The QB's we bring in are from game managers and I honestly don't see that many "game managers" coming out of high school with 3-4*s. They are groomed into game managers once they get here which is why we (as casual fans) don't see them develop/progress after year one within the system once they finally win the position.

I think as a staff they recruit prototypical QB's that a lot of programs would love to have and then turn them in to game managers. As I said though totally an opinion and not saying by any means that your wrong.

I disagree with this completely. The QB's we bring in are from game managers and I honestly don't see that many "game managers" coming out of high school with 3-4*s. They are groomed into game managers once they get here which is why we (as casual fans) don't see them develop/progress after year one within the system once they finally win the position.

I think as a staff they recruit prototypical QB's that a lot of programs would love to have and then turn them in to game managers. As I said though totally an opinion and not saying by any means that your wrong.
I don't buy this take. Brad Banks was a playmaker and certainly not a game manager. Drew Tate was a hell of a playmaker. CJ was too. Stanzi had some "It Factor" to him. Even Stanley could shed tacklers and make plays with his feet and arm.

KF and KOK have been here pretty much through that entire tenure, and BF has been here for most of it too. I don't think Iowa is all of sudden coaching these QBs differently. I believe they have always coached the need to protect the ball and not hurt the team, but that is not say that they are telling these kids: "don't make plays, throw off target, and take sacks."

The problem is not scheme or coaching per se, the problem is that we have missed at QB in EACH of the last 3 cycles. We have recruited big arms that can run a high school spread offense and find open kids on a relatively simple read scheme. The coaches think they can get them here and teach them our complicated system. And, they are know our system. But, what apparently none of them have is the ability to make plays off script, throw when scrambling, or make plays with their feet. Its hard to teach that. We have to find it off high school tape and recruit better.

Iowa can win with this system and these coaches, but these coaches needs to reevaluate how they review and select high school QBs. Cause they are missing badly!!

Iowa recruits (generally) tall (6’3” +), 220 lbs +, big arm, I surmise intelligent, 3-4 star, pro style QB’s.

4 things I see here.

1. We are not at practice, but the coaches would seem to have problems with judging QB talent. We have numerous examples of this, Banks, Stanzi, CJ Beathard, etc....all guys that were playing behind inferior talent at one point.

2. If Hogan could not truly beat out Petras and Padilla, that speaks volumes.

3. Kirk Ferentz was way out of line with what he said about Hogan in public, whether he was right or not.

4. Hogan is giving up a scholarship to walk on at another college. I wonder if he is well off enough to do this (his family)? Maybe. I don't know. But, if not, things must have been pretty bad or some extremely thin skin to give up a scholarship for a walk on role. NIL someone could also be helping him out at Kentucky to make this work.

On point number 3 alone though, that could be enough to say FU I'm out of here if that is what you think of me and value me. Point number 3 was totally avoidable by following the golden rule if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all. We will never 100% know what is going on in practice and that can give the coaches some cover, but they remove all doubt of professionalism when they say unprofessional things in public.

Kirk did apologize which was good, but the damage was to far gone in keeping Hogan at Iowa from what I can see.

Last edited:
I don’t have any understanding of what Iowa looks for in QB recruits.
Generally, if you set all-time stats at your high school, if you are an A student, if you know how to take a well-placed knee at the end of halves...even in good field position to score points, if you can hand the ball off setting up the stretch play to the short side of the field, if you can stand tall in the pocket, if you can be risk adverse and throw short of the sticks, if you can run the QB sneak, if you can run the play-action pass well from time to time, but you can still be below average here, if you have open field in front of you to run, but you throw the ball out of bounds, 10 yards passed a covered receiver, or at your receiver's feet, if you lock on to one receiver that is covered and don't scan the field for the open wide receiver that if you would throw to them it would be a chunk play or a TD, if you do make the right read, but underthrow or over throw the open receiver, if you can contribute to burning timeouts by making sure you call them before the play clock runs out, if you believe in the notion it takes 2 years to learn the offense and you publicly endorse this concept, if you can repeat the company line and say we just have to execute better, if you can basically be a yes man (aka game-manager) and stay out of Kirk Ferentz's doghouse.......................................you can at least hold the clip board and possibly play QB at Iowa.

1641625629750.png

Apparently, Hogan did not check enough of these boxes to continue to remain in this program.....by his own choice or not.

Last edited:
Generally, if you set all-time stats at your high school, if you are an A student, if you know how to take a well-placed knee at the end of halves...even in good field position to score points, if you can hand the ball off setting up the stretch play to the short side of the field, if you can stand tall in the pocket, if you can be risk adverse and throw short of the sticks, if you can run the QB sneak, if you can run the play-action pass well from time to time, but you can still be below average here, if you have open field in front of you to run, but you throw the ball out of bounds, 10 yards passed a covered receiver, or at your receiver's feet, if you lock on to one receiver that is covered and don't scan the field for the open wide receiver that if you would throw to them it would be a chunk play or a TD, if you do make the right read, but underthrow or over throw the open receiver, if you can contribute to burning timeouts by making sure you call them before the play clock runs out, if you believe in the notion it takes 2 years to learn the offense and you publicly endorse this concept, if you can repeat the company line and say we just have to execute better, if you can basically be a yes man (aka game-manager) and stay out of Kirk Ferentz's doghouse.......................................you can at least hold the clip board and possibly play QB at Iowa.

View attachment 8554

Apparently, Hogan did not check enough of these boxes to continue to remain in this program.....by his own choice or not.
ROFLMAO!!! What makes it so funny is your comments reflect things we have all seen over and over through out the years.

Even though Hogan didn’t work out I hope KF doesn’t give up on trying to get that type of quarterback. Finding guys who can make plays with their feet has to be more of a priority.

Latest posts