Hindsight is 20/20, but....

NorthKCHawk

It seems clear enough that both Nixon and Jackson could have benefitted from returning to Iowa for an additional year. I know that injuries are possible and the real money is getting to that second deal. But, many guys only get one contract. If you look at the signing bonus even between a third round pick (like Chauncy) and UFA its like 750k to 25k or less. For guys that largely wash out and do not make it, that signing bonus and first couple years salary may be all the cash they squeeze from the league. I realize rookie deals aint what they used to be, but largely the big money was squeezed from the top of the draft. There is still a big difference in contracts from the top of the draft to the bottom.

The knock I hear on Nixon was one year wonder, lack of consistency, and the dorm incident. Another year of clean living and even better play could have alleviate concerns on all of those issues and gotten him more in a second round selection, which is where his talent could land him.

Jackson is such a head scratcher to me. Cannot believe he did not get drafted. Maybe my eyes see something else than the scouts do, but I see an NFL lineman, even if its a guard or journeyman. Either way, he could not do any worse coming back for another year and showing better.

I wish them both the best.

Don't forget there is an academic side to these decisions as well. You have to remain academically eligible in order to play. Perhaps this was part of their decision.

I don't blame either one of them for moving on, playing football at a high level puts a HUGE strain on your body and there is only so much you can take. Grab the money when you can and hopefully you can still stand upright after football is over.

Jackson started 4 yrs at Iowa. I don't see how 1 more yr woulda helped him he is who he is. For whatever reasons he wasn't taken. He did end up signing with the Rams who absolutely needed Oline help. Yet didn't draft a single Olineman so that bodes well for him at this point. He just isn't gonna get rich till he gets to his 2nd contract. (especially since he's in LA that cost of living yikes).

Nixon I can see an argument to be made that he coulda significantly improved his draft position by coming back. I still think he's a borderline 1st/2nd round talent. I don't think it's the wrong move for him to have went though. The risk of injury and getting getting your NFL clock started towards that 2nd contract are legit factors. Hindsight is the only true way to know for sure though...

I read a study a while back that looked at all factors and determined that staying in college to move from late round into 1-3 round is worth it, even with the risk of injury and starting your earnings a year later. The benefits in the money you get in your first contract outweighs waiting a year, and you are much more likely to get to a second contract the higher you are drafted. Teams err on the side of resigning their higher draft picks so they do not have to admit a mistake. Human nature.

You may be right on Jackson. He did end up in a good place with the Rams.

Latest posts