Herby suggests Michigan may cancel/opt out of the Ohio St game

How far the mighty have fallen.

You are so right. I haven't watched a lot of UM plays but enough to see some of the worst tackling and angle taking on defense in a long time. Their defense is totally Big 12 level. Not much passing game and average or below qb play and they are not good running the ball.

Is it talent (a harbaugh recruiting issue) or is it coaching (a harbaugh issue). Seems to be a coaching problem big time.

This would be a dick move, yeah the rivalry is very strong and I can see Michigan fans getting behind this just to screw Ohio State but no way do reasonable people allow this to happen.

Everyone should want a conference school to make the playoffs, even a rival. That sort of success lifts the entire conference profile. As much as I hate Minny, and Wisky, and Nebbie, if they could make the playoffs, I would not wish them not to. Well, maybe Nebraska. Screw Nebraska......

This opens door to Iowa playing OSU if Michigan covid this game assuming we win out. For fun if we beat them we could make it the a new year 6 bowl game. Way too much chaos required for the 4th spot.

This opens door to Iowa playing OSU if Michigan covid this game assuming we win out. For fun if we beat them we could make it the a new year 6 bowl game. Way too much chaos required for the 4th spot.

The game would be outdoors as well. I'm not saying Iowa or Wisconsin is better than OSU, they're not even in the same ball park, but the variability introduced by playing a December 19 outdoor game against a team with a stout offensive line and "country strong" dudes from places like Larchwood, Iowa or Black Creek, Wisconsin should have OSU and the conference brass extremely worried.

Michigans players have all but quit at times this year. They've laid the groundwork to do it already with the 'pausing' It's something one shouldn't be surprised to see happen if it does. The reason I don't think it will though is because unless it's 100% legit with covid being why Harbaugh would never ever ever get the stink off of being a quitter off of him. No coach with any self respect would do that. So we'll know soon enough but for Herbie to have pretty much floated that out there like he'd heard something is a terrible look for him so he had to moon walk that back. I mean maybe he did but from who? An OSU coach just presuming? Well that's not something you go 'reporting' Not a good look for Herbie he shoulda let that just lay there and play out without throwing any of what he did out there to have thrown back in his face

The game would be outdoors as well. I'm not saying Iowa or Wisconsin is better than OSU, they're not even in the same ball park, but the variability introduced by playing a December 19 outdoor game against a team with a stout offensive line and "country strong" dudes from places like Larchwood, Iowa or Black Creek, Wisconsin should have OSU and the conference brass extremely worried.
May or may not be outdoors. The conference has not announced locations for game #9. There has been some discussion on holding these games at domed stadiums around the conference footprint. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit and Indianapolis; multiple games in one location on the same day. I would personally prefer this. I hate games played in bad weather, even if it could give Iowa a slight advantage in some ways.

May or may not be outdoors. The conference has not announced locations for game #9. There has been some discussion on holding these games at domed stadiums around the conference footprint. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit and Indianapolis; multiple games in one location on the same day. I would personally prefer this. I hate games played in bad weather, even if it could give Iowa a slight advantage in some ways.

I've always looked at this "bad weather gives the underdog an advantage" thing skeptically. One could argue that it increases turnovers which is a big wildcard variable in upsets...and it might be tougher to pass than run in bad weather. But it's a bit like the old letting the grass grow to slow down a fast team thing. Hey, if your team is slow the long grass affects them too...one could argue even MORE...as they're not light of foot. Think of the big upsets IOWA has pulled over the last 20 years, and those we've been victim to. Weather was rarely if ever a factor.

To Hayden's point, I wouldn't be surprised if the games are played 2 each in Mpls and Detroit with 3 in the Championship location of INDY so it's the night game for TV. (St Louis is outside the B1G footprint, then again maybe they want to court Mizzou and drop Nebraska) ;)

Last edited:
I've always looked at this "bad weather gives the underdog an advantage" thing skeptically. One could argue that it increases turnovers which is a big wildcard variable in upsets...and it might be tougher to pass than run in bad weather. But it's a bit like the old letting the grass grow to slow down a fast team thing. Hey, if your team is slow the long grass affects them too...one could argue even MORE...as they're not light of foot. Think of the big upsets IOWA has pulled over the last 20 years, and those we've been victim to. Weather was rarely if ever a factor.

To Hayden's point, I wouldn't be surprised if the games are played 2 each in Mpls and Detroit with 3 in the Championship location of INDY so it's the night game for TV. (St Louis is outside the B1G footprint, then again maybe they want to court Mizzou and drop Nebraska) ;)
Or Rutgers or MD take your pick... Neb seems to actually want to look around though. Rutgers sure wouldn't want to leave we'd have to kick them out. MD might land on their feet in ACC or just a strait up trade with SEC for Mizzu maybe. But if ever some shuffling could go on why not after this year?

Weather is a big reason Iowa and Wisconsin routinely have "top 10" defenses. Weather can tremendously slow down a high powered passing attack that is reliant on the deep ball. I hadn't heard that the games could all become domed. In that case, I don't want anything to do with OSU. Nothing. Zero.

Weather is a big reason Iowa and Wisconsin routinely have "top 10" defenses. Weather can tremendously slow down a high powered passing attack that is reliant on the deep ball. I hadn't heard that the games could all become domed. In that case, I don't want anything to do with OSU. Nothing. Zero.

That would make more sense if Iowa and Wisconsin's defenses only climbed high late in the season, when the "bad weather" games happen. Outside of rain (which happens most everywhere) you rarely see true "bad weather" til the last few games. Unless your definition of bad weather is 50 degrees.

One only need look at this year... we're in December, neither team has played a real "bad weather" game. Wisconsin is #1 in total D, Iowa is #16.

The Conference should take extraordinary measures to give OSU a chance to make the playoffs. This is a benefit to the whole conference. Financially and profile wise.

If Michigan cannot play OSU, the Conference should shuffle the schedule and get another quality team in there. Even if that is Iowa in Iowa City. They should also waive the 6 game rule and make sure OSU plays NW in the title game no matter what. Having two Top 20 games left would ensure OSU a path (and its just a path) to the playoffs.

This is an extraordinary year. The conference has not been nimble or flexible to date. It needs to get it act together and protect its members and brand.

The Conference should take extraordinary measures to give OSU a chance to make the playoffs. This is a benefit to the whole conference. Financially and profile wise.

If Michigan cannot play OSU, the Conference should shuffle the schedule and get another quality team in there. Even if that is Iowa in Iowa City. They should also waive the 6 game rule and make sure OSU plays NW in the title game no matter what. Having two Top 20 games left would ensure OSU a path (and its just a path) to the playoffs.

This is an extraordinary year. The conference has not been nimble or flexible to date. It needs to get it act together and protect its members and brand.

Nope. No flexibility on that rule. You cannot tell Nebraska to go sit in the corner and then put OSU on a pedestal. That is not how the Big Ten operates. If they have a rule they have to abide by it. They will likely get bailed out and can have a de facto title game between the winner of Iowa/Wisconsin and OSU and it sounds like they can do it in a dome so OSU can showcase its talents against a slightly better brand name than Northwestern.

That's Fall Creek Wisconsin :). It's between Eau Claire and Stevens Point. Their high school nickname is the Crickets.

I am sure if Mich cant play against OSU the league will change the rules saying they meant to say OSU/a team can play in the title game even without playing enough games if it is not that team's fault

Latest posts