Herbstriet

gdshawkeye09

Gave some love to the Hawkeyes on college football live. He said this team is well coached and that this defense is good enough to play with the top 5 teams in the nation. He stressed that people need to watch this team and see how well coached they are and not pay attention to style points.

That's what everyone wants, is a stylish team, the more the QB runs ball, the sexier the program is to the national "pundits". I like not having all the attention and creeping up on everyone. At least we are getting noticed now. Hopefully for the better.

he was the only one to predict an iowa win last week...he has always given iowa props in past and has a great deal of respect for what ferentz does as a coach

Herbstreit is about the best national spokesperson for the BIG TEN Conference around. So many others are all about the SEC and Big 12 only, but I think that Kirk is fair to Iowa and the Big Ten. I hope he gets to do another Hawkeye game this season (OSU?).

By the way, CBS sports disgusts me in their Big Ten coverage . . . . There is none! Is that a result of the BTN?

Herbie is a closet Iowa fan:) Actually he and Mark May are usually the only ones to pick the Hawks.

I am a little upset that Holtz has jumped on the Iowa bandwagon. I hate him.

Gave some love to the Hawkeyes on college football live. He said this team is well coached and that this defense is good enough to play with the top 5 teams in the nation. He stressed that people need to watch this team and see how well coached they are and not pay attention to style points.

Herbstriet gets it!! I have to agree with him. Take last weekends games for example, Texas, Florida, Alabama...we could have hung with 'em all in my opinion. The Hawkeye defense is something special as a full unit. This is a fun defense to watch. You can keep your style points......I'll take an agressive, hard hitting, turnover causing defensive game anytime.

Herbstreit is about the best national spokesperson for the BIG TEN Conference around. So many others are all about the SEC and Big 12 only, but I think that Kirk is fair to Iowa and the Big Ten. I hope he gets to do another Hawkeye game this season (OSU?).

By the way, CBS sports disgusts me in their Big Ten coverage . . . . There is none! Is that a result of the BTN?

If by the "Big Ten" you mean Ohio St. Other than that, you hear nothing good from him about the conference. He's all about the SEC and USC like every other shmoe.

Kirk is great and his comments were mostly positive, but he made the comment "people say they don't have difference makers", then didn't dispute it.. He just went on to say how well coached we are, almost agreeing that we aren't athletic. He could have given the example of Tony Moeaki being a superior athlete, which he is. I'm tired of everyone thinking we are a bunch of stiffs and the only reason we are good is because of coaching. You can't be 7-0 without having some excellent athletes.

If by the "Big Ten" you mean Ohio St. Other than that, you hear nothing good from him about the conference. He's all about the SEC and USC like every other shmoe.

I have to disagree with you. Herbie is a Ohio State guy, but he seems to always have a soft spot for the Big Ten. I think if things work out during bowl season for the Big Ten, he'll be the first one to say " I told you so". Maybe I'm reading to much into what he says on Game Day, but I think he would love to see the Big Ten have "scoreboard" at the end of the season.

After watching the Michigan gamd on DVR... did anyone else notice Herbie saying, "there ya go," a few times under his breath after a good Michigan play? He's starting to sound like Brent Doucheburger. Overall Herbie does seem to favor the Big Ten to me but I wish some of these guys would remember USC's loss to national powerhouse, Washington.

I hate Brent Doucheburger.

eh, this year's team doesnt need Herbie or Doucheburger to talk them up...I'm game for letting the 7, soon to be 8, losing coaches tell everyone how good the Hawkeyes are.

Kirk is great and his comments were mostly positive, but he made the comment "people say they don't have difference makers", then didn't dispute it.. He just went on to say how well coached we are, almost agreeing that we aren't athletic. He could have given the example of Tony Moeaki being a superior athlete, which he is. I'm tired of everyone thinking we are a bunch of stiffs and the only reason we are good is because of coaching. You can't be 7-0 without having some excellent athletes.

This team really doesn't have 1 or 2 guys that make the "difference". Just look at the two polls and threads that go with them trying to figure out who the MVP of the team is or the most under rated player. There is no clear cut choice for either.

Thats where chemistry and coaching are making the difference for this team. Sure we have some great athletes but then again so does Illinois, how's that working out for them without good coaching? That is also the reason why we don't catch the eye of the rest of the national media. We're not sexy and as we all know sexy sells. It just doesn't help to win games.

I think its very clear that this hawkeye team lacks everything that makes a traditional national contender. Little or no blowouts, no heisman candidates, and the University of Iowa is just not synonymous with the traditional college football powerhouses. However this team is undoubtedly special, few can argue that. And although its fun to hear Iowa talked about on TV, we dont need them, all we need to do is keep winning. If we keep winning, lets see them try to keep us out of National Championship.

I have great respect for Herbie as a broadcaster. He is well spoken and knowledgeable of the game. Although I must admit I didn't care for him when I lived in Columbus in the early '90s.