Hawks looked total opposite of last Mich game

uihawk82

Wow, what a difference. The whole game last nite the hawks were running down so many lose balls and rebounds. They looked so sluggish against Mich.

I thought JBo pushed the ball real well to get us into the offense early before OSU set up and this led to shooters being open. They ran some good plays to get guys open for jumpers around the high screens and set up some screens well on the sides for open looks. Just much better ball movement.

Garza was really looking for open shooters when he felt and saw the double teams and did a good job of kicking it out for a shot or a reset of the offense.

I also mentioned how JT was way more under control and looking for the openings.

Most of all very few wide open shooters on the arc for OSU. The 2nd half started bad by letting that guy hit two corner treys but overall the zone and man to man was really good along with blocking out and rebounding.

That might have been the best man to man switching by a Fran team in a long time and OSU did have one or two penetrating slashing ballhandlers to contain which the hawks did for the most part.

No let downs, two more wins and then some big tourney wins.

I'm gonna be that guy and say that the two games were called completely differently. Iowa wants to run and is a finesse team that relies on rhythm and the refs made sure Iowa knew that they weren't going to be allowed to do that at Chrysler. Their will was sucked out of them by approx 40 stops in play in the first 20 minutes. Then Iowa got sideways on their offense and the wheels came off.

Sunday Iowa was not restricted and the guards were free to move and the refs didn't stop play 40 times.

I don't blame the refs for Iowa losing at Michigan, but it was just a different game all together.

I think we match up with OSU so much better than Michigan. Michigan is way more physical and their guards give you no space. How the game is officiated will have an impact on how defenses can play us, but we just didn't handle the physicality of Michigan and had great movement, flow and speed against OSU.