Hawkeyes Play Host to Milwaukee on Tuesday

RobHowe

Administrator
Hawkeyes Host Milwaukee on Tuesday

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa baseball team hosts Milwaukee on Tuesday at 6:05 p.m. (CT) at Duane Banks Field. The Hawkeyes have won four of their last five and seven of their last 11 games.

All tickets and hot dogs for Tuesday's game are only $2 each.

Iowa posted its third series win over a ranked opponent and fourth straight series win overall last weekend in Iowa City, taking two of three games from No. 30 Nebraska. The Hawkeyes are 23-15 overall and 9-6 in Big Ten play to sit in fourth place in the league standings.

Milwaukee has won six of its last seven games, including taking two of three contests from Wright State on April 19-20 in Milwaukee. The Panthers are 22-14 overall and 10-7 in the Horizon League -- one game behind UIC for the league lead.

The Hawkeyes will send freshman Duncan Davitt to the mound for his fourth start. The right-hander is 1-1 with a 4.76 ERA in 12 appearances, where he has allowed 27 hits, 21 runs (15 earned) and struck out 33 over 28 1/3 innings.

The Panthers will counter with senior Jared Reklaitis, who is 4-4 with a 7.71 ERA in 12 appearances (10 starts). The right-hander has allowed 78 hits and 53 runs over 58 1/3 innings, where opponents are hitting .325.

Milwaukee is hitting .297 as a team to rank 29th nationally and the Panthers rank 22nd in scoring (7.6 runs per game) and 36th in runs (272). Four players are hitting over .335 with Trevor Schwecke leading the team with a .376 average with 50 hits, 40 runs, 12 doubles, and 34 RBIs.

The Panthers' pitching staff has a 5.26 team ERA, allowing 347 hits over 315 innings. The staff has struck out 270, but has issued 161 walks and allowed opposing hitters to post a .283 average.

Iowa is coming off a weekend where it hit .296 and scored 22 runs in its series win over Nebraska. Senior Chris Whelan hit a team-best .545 during the three-game set with five runs and two RBIs, while sophomore Izaya Fullard hit .385 with a home run and four RBIs.

Tuesday's game will be streamed online on BTN Plus on BTN2Go. The game will also be available on the Hawkeye Radio Network with Zach Mackey and Steve Duncan on the call.

The Hawkeyes return to Big Ten play Friday, opening a three-game series at Ohio State beginning at 5:35 p.m. (CT). Sunday's game time has been moved up to an 11:05 a.m. start to accommodate Iowa's travel schedule.

Yikes! Milwaukee’s BA — and vs. a freshman tonight.

Jenkins Late-Game Heroics Lifts Iowa Over Milwaukee

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- In a 12-inning, four hour and 17 minute game, the University of Iowa baseball team walked off Milwaukee, 5-4, via a Justin Jenkins walk-off solo home run on Tuesday night at Duane Banks field.

It was Iowa’s 13th comeback win and fourth walk-off win of the season to move Iowa to 24-15.

“The Banks has magic,” said Jenkins, who left his imprint on the game in the field and at the plate. “Everybody on our team believes it. Everybody in the stands believes it. Everybody in the state believes it.”

Jenkins, the senior outfielder who entered the game in the eighth inning as a defensive replacement, before becoming Iowa’s hero.

In the top of the 12th with the game tied at four, Jenkins made a catch in shallow center before gunning down Tyler Bordner at the plate to complete the inning-ending double play, this keeping the game tied at four.

“I saw the ball in the air,” Jenkins said. “It’s one of those ride-or-die situations. I caught it and went through my crow hop just like we train, and tried to deliver the most accurate throw I could.”

Jenkins one upped himself in the bottom of the 12th with a walk-off home on a 2-2 count that went over the right field wall. It was his first homer of the season and second of his career, but his first walk-off home run in his life.

“Off the bat it was a no-doubter,” Jenkins said. “It’s the first time I’ve ever hit a ball like that, especially in Division I baseball. It was an awesome feeling. I’m speechless. My heart rate is still coming down. It’s an unbelievable feeling. You can’t reproduce this in any way.”

In Iowa’s longest game of the year, the Hawkeyes used 10 pitches. Senior Shane Ritter, who relieved freshman Drew Irvine in the top of the 12th, earned the win. Freshman Duncan Davitt was Iowa’s starting pitcher.

The Hawkeye pitchers gave up five hits and three runs in the first two innings, but settled down after that, allowing only one run in the seventh inning and one run in the 11th.

Offensively, freshman Brendan Sher was the spark plug out of the nine hole. In his ninth career start, Sher went 3-for-5 with a double and two runs scored, none bigger than the game-tying run in the bottom of the 11th off an Austin Martin single.

Senior Chris Whelan and junior Ben Norman also added two hits.

QUOTING HEAD COACH RICK HELLER

“We knew we had our hands full with Milwaukee coming to town. They have a good team. We knew it was going to be a challenge. I couldn’t’ be happier for our pitching staff. Duncan (Davitt) gave up a few early and then we shut them down for 10 innings. I’m really happy with how the bullpen threw.

“Wasn’t the greatest night offensively. In the end, we had some guys really clutch up and that’s the great thing about this team – we’re never really out of it. Anyone of the guys on this team can step up and come through.”

On Jenkins’ late-game play:

“Justin makes a big throw; a perfect throw and throws the guy out at the play. Then, comes up and wins the game with a solo home run. It doesn’t get any better than that for anyone.

“I am really happy for Justin. He’s a great teammate. Whenever he’s in the lineup, he brings tons of energy and he’s one of the best defenders in our league in center field. When he’s not playing, he’s a great teammate and he’s keeping everyone happy and loose on the bench.”

OF NOTE…

• The Hawkeyes improve to 14-6 in games decided by two runs or less.

• Senior Tanner Wetrich extended his career-high hitting streak to 11 games.

• Redshirt junior Grant Leonard extended his scoreless innings streak to 12 innings.

UP NEXT

The Hawkeyes travel to Columbus, Ohio, for a three-game series against Ohio State, starting Friday with a 5:35 p.m. (CT) first pitch at Bill Davis Stadium.

Justin, when it’s...

Only your second career home run

at home

in extra innings

In a walk-off

It’s okay to jog around the bases
;)

Wow. Some amazing defense in there. Needed every one of those plays. Hellerball!

Yes but there was some miscues as well. For example the play at the plate was necessary because Wetrich made a horrible throw (went into the stands) on a routine play so that inning started with a runner on 2nd base. Fortunately Jenkins threw the runner out at home on an incredible throw.

Latest posts