Hawkeyes at Nebraska Series Thread

ssckelley

I probably say this in every thread but this is another huge series for the Hawkeyes, everyone probably will since Iowa is a bubble team for the regionals. Coming into this season Nebraska was a favorite pick to win the Big Ten, instead they come into this game with a 17-23 overall record and 5-7 in conference. But their record is deceiving as 14 of their losses has been by 2 runs or less, 4 of their last 5 losses have been by 1 run and are 5-9 overall in 1 run games. Nebraska comes into this game on a 3 game winning streak while Iowa has won 8 of it's last 9 games and have a 24-13 record (8-4 conf). These are rivalry games so it should be interesting.

The game today has been moved up to a 3:30 start due to threatening weather, which also takes them off BTN. All 3 games now will be televised on BTN+, you can listen for free on the Hawkeye Radio Network or on The Varsity Network app. A couple of local stations that carry the game are am 800 out of Iowa City (KXIC) and am 1360 (KMJM) out of Cedar Rapids.

capture.jpg

Series notes: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2022/04/28/notes-hawkeyes-head-to-lincoln-to-face-nebraska/

GO HAWKEYES!!!!

ssckelley

It's pretty much been a pitchers duel so far, although Iowa has had plenty of traffic on the bases, but Fullard got Iowa on the board with a solo home run. Iowa is still batting in the top of the 4th up 1-0.

ssckelley

Iowa can't get anything going against the Nebraska pitchers but Mazur is also doing a great job shutting them down. Heading into the B8 and Iowa still leads 1-0.

Grady

Really appreciate you posting the adjusted start time of today's game -- allowed me to tune in for the last 2 innings. Holy cow -- Mazur throwing 96 mph heat on his 96th pitch! Great win...with inclement weather this weekend, who knows if the other games will even get played.

ssckelley

Mazur with the complete game shutout!!!

ssckelley

Today's game has been postponed until tomorrow. They will play a doubleheader tomorrow starting at noon.

ssckelley

It’s going to be a struggle for Iowa to get back in this one. Iowa down 6-1 heading to the B3. The wind is blowing out.

Grady

Man, I couldn't believe Heller left Medved in after in relief he gave up hit, hit, a failed sacrifice bunt, hit, walked in a run, and eventually let the Huskers tie it up at 3. But have to admit, his stuff got better the longer he stayed in the game. These Hawks are not a dominant team by any stretch (other than P Mazur), but this was another W which they needed....and they got.

ssckelley

Man, I couldn't believe Heller left Medved in after in relief he gave up hit, hit, a failed sacrifice bunt, hit, walked in a run, and eventually let the Huskers tie it up at 3. But have to admit, his stuff got better the longer he stayed in the game. These Hawks are not a dominant team by any stretch (other than P Mazur), but this was another W which they needed....and they got.
Me too, I was scratching my head as to why he was leaving him in. But it worked, but now I'm thinking why isn't Nedved a starter?

Grady

Me too, I was scratching my head as to why he was leaving him in. But it worked, but now I'm thinking why isn't Nedved a starter?
I think he was at some point near the beginning of the season, but had some rough outings and so Heller moved him to be a middle-inning reliever.