Hawkeyes add nationally ranked Utah State to 2023 schedule

Now we can just hope Utah State stays remotely relevant until then and doesn't fall off the map.

USU just lost their coach who took a P5 job. Now they are going back to Gary Anderson. The same Gary Anderson that coached Wisconsin for 2 years. I wonder if he will still be around in 2023.

If you can guess which MAC or Mountain West teams will be good or bad four years from now, then you are good. Beyond Boise and maybe Fresno its a total rotisserie of coaches and assistants and ups and downs.

Until either the Big Ten goes back to an 8 game conference schedule, or we restructure the Cy-Hawk series to something other than every year, this is the best we're getting. Barta has to ensure 7 home games per season somehow.

Having to arrange a non-conference schedule around Iowa State really limits what teams you can find to schedule. Playing teams in the Pac 12 does not work well because of the time differential and having to play late at night. Few SEC teams will do a home and home. The ACC also play 9 conference games and guarantees Notre Dame 5 games with the members. The Big 12 also plays 9 conference games but has a little more flexibility. P5 non-conf game slots are at a premium. Having ISU as an annual opponent has to be reconsidered.

Having to arrange a non-conference schedule around Iowa State really limits what teams you can find to schedule. Playing teams in the Pac 12 does not work well because of the time differential and having to play late at night. Few SEC teams will do a home and home. The ACC also play 9 conference games and guarantees Notre Dame 5 games with the members. The Big 12 also plays 9 conference games but has a little more flexibility. P5 non-conf game slots are at a premium. Having ISU as an annual opponent has to be reconsidered.
ISU going forward as long as Campbell is there looks to be a top 25ish team. Get rid of them and we can for sure have 3 crap teams - see above for reasons. Add in the rivalry factor and I don't know why one would not want them on the schedule. Guaranteed a game the whole state gets up for...

Until either the Big Ten goes back to an 8 game conference schedule, or we restructure the Cy-Hawk series to something other than every year, this is the best we're getting. Barta has to ensure 7 home games per season somehow.

All Iowa has to do is give up a home game once every 6 years and they can play a decent OOC P5 team twice every 6 years.

2018 & 2021 would have good years to play these P5 OOC games.

The Iowa State game is now competitive but still gets pretty stale. I'd put a challenge to them. See if you can but together a good home at home involving someone other than Iowa, just one time around. Iowa does the same. See how it goes for both teams. If it works out, repeat every once in a while.

Even if they did drop ISU from the schedule I'm not so sure they'd fill it with another P5 opponent when there is extra money to be grabbed by adding another MAC team that will come here.

Now that ISU is relevant I'm ok with them playing each other every year. It's annoying to play them when they suck because they'd put all their emphasis on beating Iowa, pull off a miracle, and rub it in our noses the rest of the year while they went on to suck. When Iowa beat them I didn't feel it was fair to rub it in their noses because it was a team Iowa should have beaten anyway. NOW it is feeling more like a rivalry, both teams are decent and beating ISU now matters.

Good I like that addition.

Now let’s get a few other new opponents. I really enjoyed the Pitt series

Latest posts