******Hawkeye vs Wolverine in the Marvel Universe Game Thread*******

It will be spring in four days. The Iowa basketball team did its job in making the winter shorter. Its to bad the coaching staff couldn't of made it more interesting.

You think we are just a 3 point shooting team? I don't think out team falls under the "live by the 3 die by the 3" category. Cook and Garza is one of the better paint scoring combos in the conference.
And one of thee worst defending duo in the conference. Kinda evens out to a big fat 0 net.

We are 118th in the Nation for Defensive efficiency and 13th in the Big Ten more proof Fran and his staff have no ability to coach Defense! We do see an occasional melt down by the other team but nothing that you can count on from game to game.

Fran didn't take over a team of future NBA players to get 2 right off the bat either

To me this is a "life's not fair" reply. I agree it isn't fair. I also believe Tom did what Raveling couldn't so he gets credit for that. But the idea that things should be measured inside a subjective fairness framework doesn't hold water for me. There are examples of people who inherited lemons and made lemonade. JHF being an example. In the end people being paid millions are being paid like that to deliver wins, not excuses.

It's possible because a walk on banked in a 3 at the end.

Laughing and crying because I didn't even think about that. We had missed every single 3 until that meaningless one. Wow. It's not like we were shooting a bunch of contested 3's either. I don't know what happened to our shooting the past two months (outside of Illinois obviously).

To me this is a "life's not fair" reply. I agree it isn't fair. I also believe Tom did what Raveling couldn't so he gets credit for that. But the idea that things should be measured inside a subjective fairness framework doesn't hold water for me. There are examples of people who inherited lemons and made lemonade. JHF being an example. In the end people being paid millions are being paid like that to deliver wins, not excuses.
What in the hell did I just read?

It's a certainty. 0.
All we had to do was get one of four bodies on Bruno Fernando, and we are likely sitting at 11-5 in the league with the inside track on a double bye in conference tournament and at worst a five seed in the NCAA's.

To get a favorable NCAA seed for a reasonable chance of advancing to the sweet sixteen you can have no letdowns. The margin for error is that thin. Unless you have the raw talent and coaching talent to flip the switch, or unless you can do what Wisconsin did to Villanova a couple years ago. We don't have one or two on this list and have no recent history of doing the third.

All we had to do was get one of four bodies on Bruno Fernando, and we are likely sitting at 11-5 in the league with the inside track on a double bye in conference tournament and at worst a five seed in the NCAA's.

To get a favorable NCAA seed for a reasonable chance of advancing to the sweet sixteen you can have no letdowns. The margin for error is that thin. Unless you have the raw talent and coaching talent to flip the switch, or unless you can do what Wisconsin did to Villanova a couple years ago. We don't have one or two on this list and have no recent history of doing the third.
I don't play the "if we only got one bounce here" game. We were a couple of last second lucky shots away from being 8-12, if we are going to play that game. The record is what it is. More importantly is their record against upper level competition. Which is awful. Which leads me to believe that your hope is we don't see any upper level competition until we get to the Sweet 16....so we can brag about getting to the Sweet 16???
I'll revisit this when the bracket selections are made and look at our record against tourney teams. It won't be good.

I don't play the "if we only got one bounce here" game. We were a couple of last second lucky shots away from being 8-12, if we are going to play that game. The record is what it is. More importantly is their record against upper level competition. Which is awful. Which leads me to believe that your hope is we don't see any upper level competition until we get to the Sweet 16....so we can brag about getting to the Sweet 16???
I'll revisit this when the bracket selections are made and look at our record against tourney teams. It won't be good.
I was just trying to point out that this may have been Fran's best chance. And history shows that now that when we on the 8-9 line we won't do what Wisconsin did to Villanova (an 8 knocking out the 1 in the round of 32)

We clearly weren't in the same league as the top tier of the conference and caught another break when we faced some of them only once. The losses to Maryland and Nebraska probably brought us to our appropriate level.

My two main points are as follows.
1) This was probably our best chance to get a seed to have a less resistant path to the sweet sixteen and beyond.
2) Fran has do more than reach one sweet sixteen to square accounts in my book. I am anything but bragging about the accomplishment in any regard of defense of Fran.

I guess I could add a third point. Our record against tourney teams won't be good, like you said.

I pointed out in a post to Rob exactly what you said at the beginning of the your post. I didn't say we were a couple lucky bounces from 8-12 (although you're correct) but I did say that our two wins against Indiana were all that separated us from trading records and positions wirh them in the standings.

It all comes back to what I have always said. Win close conference games and you improve seeding. I just would have loved to have seen more close game against the upper tier teams. Most of them blew us out this year. That won't bode well in the tournament I'm afraid.

Latest posts