Hawkeye Athletics

Let’s face out. For 95% of male sports fans, we put 95% of our “stock” in football and men’s hoops. Couldn’t care less about how Iowa does in swimming, ping pong, or gymnastics.

They SHOULD rate this strictly on the ONLY 2 that count, football and basketball. Seriously, when’s the last time you bragged about Iowa’s Field Hockey or soccer team, or even our Graduation Rate. You would get mocked ruthlessly forever.

My mood ONLY depends on these. For me the other 5% is devoted to Hawk baseball

As a resident of Iowa and an alumnus with multiple degrees and whose wife, daughter, and son are all alumni I am very tuned into the graduation rates and citizenship of our student-athletes. Kirk and Hayden's graduation rates have been very good along with other sports and there was a time when ISU was ostracized for the less than challenging courses and majors that their athletes were taking. Right after the peak of Iowa's 1985 football success there was a semi-scandal about very easy classes that some players were taking and it did not mirror Iowa values.

I have brought up KF's and the other sports academic success several times over the last 3-5 years for a variety of reasons.

Yes, we really measure the main athletics success by football, basketball, wrestling, and baseball but it is always great to see success in the others teams. It was great back in the day when women's field hockey was a perennial power. Football and Bball bring in the most fans and money which is why they are top dog and driver our fandom. And yes my mood is most directly affected by football and then basketball. As a formerly rabid wrestling fan from the 70's-90's I lightly follow the sport anymore as so many schools have dropped the sport. I would love to see the hawks go for big time college hockey.

As...an alumnus with multiple degrees...
Don't be that guy.

That's the slightly less trashy version of the guy driving a jacked up diesel with 28" inch rims and a Glock decal in the back window to compensate for his tiny wiener. Only worse because you're "educated" enough that you should know nobody gives a F if you have an AA or three PhDs.

Speak softly and keep the multiple degrees in your pocket in case you get asked about them someday (hint: no one's ever going to ask you...)

Last edited:
It's good press. That has value. For most of those outside of the Iowa Hawkeye fandom, Iowa being ranked in the top 10 of something called the Best of College Sports Award is all that is really noticed. Most people aren't saying, yeah, but, . . . .

Last edited:
That's the slightly less trashy version of the guy driving a jacked up diesel with 28" inch rims and a Glock decal in the back window to compensate for his tiny wiener. Only worse because you're "educated" enough that you should know nobody gives a F if you have an AA or three PhDs.

You can't roll coal with a piece of paper, though, bud. So don't knock diesels. But a word of advice for you, xir, if someone brags about multiple degrees from a moderately large, fairly non-selective state school, just let them go.

Don't be that guy.

Speak softly and keep the multiple degrees in your pocket in case you get asked about them someday (hint: no one's ever going to ask you...)

Haha, you dont get the point. I used that information to point out one, our family is focused on education as our many people and not just athletics and two, we specifically went to the UI. So get with it man and look at the context of my post.

How many times over the last twenty or 30 years have I mentioned my three degrees from the UI to people without being asked by them, probably zero times. My three degrees are not that "high falutin" but they indicate reaching a goal and it is great to see the UI student-athletes graduating at a very high rate.

Don't be that guy.

Wow, that was certainly uncalled for. You really are a first-class asshole!

I don't know why you're mad at me. I tried to save you from getting scammed.

LOL! I just got back from the Philippines 4 days ago. I put a diamond ring on my "phantom" gf. Her finger was real, as was the rest of her. PS= I'm not mad at you, just think yr statement was unnecessary.

LOL! I just got back from the Philippines 4 days ago. I put a diamond ring on my "phantom" gf. Her finger was real, as was the rest of her. PS= I'm not mad at you, just think yr statement was unnecessary.
Sure ya did lol. And then she laughed all the way back home with her real life boyfriend and counted all that cash you left them. Pretty easy to play house and dish out some hooky pooky for a week or so to make it look good so you can keep her rent paid for a few months. You really think a young chick on the opposite side of the earth is gonna magically fall in love with some frustrated white American dude thirty years older than her?

You just spent several thousand bucks on a trip flying all the way across the planet to give jewelry and more cash to some chick and her boyfriend. You guys are why the Nigerian prince scams still exist. It’s actually sad more than funny that folks can get so blinded and enraged by not being able to find a mate in their home country that they go and do stuff like this.

Oh btw, my grandson just called and said I have to send money to the Sheriff’s dept in Kalamazoo by noon to get him out of jail otherwise he goes to prison for thirty years. Can you loan me $10k so I can wire it to him?

Sure ya did lol. And then she laughed all the way back home with her real life boyfriend and counted all that cash you left them. Pretty easy to play house and dish out some hooky pooky for a week or so to make it look good so you can keep her rent paid for a few months. You really think a young chick on the opposite side of the earth is gonna magically fall in love with some frustrated white American dude thirty years older than her?

You just spent several thousand bucks on a trip flying all the way across the planet to give jewelry and more cash to some chick and her boyfriend. You guys are why the Nigerian prince scams still exist. It’s actually sad more than funny that folks can get so blinded and enraged by not being able to find a mate in their home country that they go and do stuff like this.

Oh btw, my grandson just called and said I have to send money to the Sheriff’s dept in Kalamazoo by noon to get him out of jail otherwise he goes to prison for thirty years. Can you loan me $10k so I can wire it to him?

OMG! Now you're a first-class asshole AND moron.

Latest posts