Has the OL finally gotten their sh*t together?

1hawkeye1

Stanley had plenty of time to throw today against a pretty good IL defense. Still couldn't make holes for the RB's but I see some progress. Your thoughts?

Illinois was simply blowing up our zone blocking, constantly sending more lateral pursuit than we had blockers to account, or getting there from the back side before Goodson could think of getting to the second level.

The running game, and run blocking game, have to show up this week. Grinding, time consuming drives will keep the Huskers at bay another year, and protect the sanity of those who live west of Hwy 71.

Run blitz after run blitz. Continually trying to block 9 with 6. Also if Stanley didn’t air mail a few TD passes, underthrew another to Wieting after Ojemudia’s int, that game isn’t close. Those throws have to be made. Could’ve made Illinois pay so much more

Illinois does not have a good defense. Michigan State, with probably the most inept offense in the conference other than NW, Rutgers, and us, had them down 25-3. Illinois has the 102nd rushing defense in the nation, and we averaged a little over 2 yards per carry. That is brutal. They didn't try and pressure by blitzing all that much, but they brought everyone up to the line of scrimmage because, like other teams, there is no fear of Stanley or our receivers beating them over the top. Teams have no respect for our passing game, period. Only way to get them to back off is to beat them consistently down the field, and as was on display again yesterday, Nate simply cannot do that consistently. Nate had all kinds of time to throw as well, so there really was no excuse for his inaccuracy.

The zone read/blocking scheme has to be some type of Kirk obsession. Seems when we have success running the ball, we are allowing the blockers to rush down hill and let the running back decide the cut lane, or hit the hole. The last three weeks, we have gone back to the Kirk run more and more...I can't remember making more than 4 yards off that play all year. In fact, yesterday I believe it was blown up for a loss more times than it gained a yard.

Its as stupid as the shotgun formations on short yardage plays...Why, as a "run first team," would you sell out for the pass....."Hey defense, don't even worry about us running..just drop back into coverage," god knows the qb isn't going anywhere.

Blows my mind. How about make a linebacker at least keep his eyes in the backfield a moment or two before he locks onto a receiver.

Stanley had plenty of time to throw today against a pretty good IL defense. Still couldn't make holes for the RB's but I see some progress. Your thoughts?
If that’s progress than this is easily the worst offensive line in KF’s tenure (Which it very well could be), they were atrocious yesterday against at best a middling defense.

What doesn’t add up to me is that we have two NFL tackles (I’m not that sold on Alaric Jackson I think he’s way overhyped), and a solid center in Linderbaum. It shouldn’t be that hard to find two serviceable guards.

I made a thread about it before the season, but I still think this is a SCHEME issue. Teams have figured out how to destroy our stupid zone blocking. I feel bad for Goodson, he’s going to get hit in the backfield so many times over the next few years. A lot of posters said zone blocking wasn’t an issue and that other teams do it, but whatever it is we haven’t been able to run the ball in many years. Finally an announcer called us on it last week against Minny and basically said the perception of what iowa is as an Oline running team isn’t accurate.

DITCH THE ZONE BLOCKING!!

How many plays went over 50+ yards for a score this year for this offense ?

Was it just one? ISM against Rutgers??

When there’s no fear of a team scoring on a big play, then you can sell out against the run.

Opposing teams play Iowa defense against the Iowa offense. They’re ok with 12 play drives ending in FG

unfortunately for opposing teams this year is that Iowa’s defense was one of the best in the country. So we got stuck with 16-10 ball games

How many plays went over 50+ yards for a score this year for this offense ?

Was it just one? ISM against Rutgers??

When there’s no fear of a team scoring on a big play, then you can sell out against the run.

Opposing teams play Iowa defense against the Iowa offense. They’re ok with 12 play drives ending in FG

unfortunately for opposing teams this year is that Iowa’s defense was one of the best in the country. So we got stuck with 16-10 ball games
I think Tracy had a 50 yarder against NW and a 75 yarder against UW. The point remains Iowa isn’t explosive on offense.

Iowa’s offense is built to go against 4-3 defenses from 1999 with slow linebackers. Defenses have evolved 3 times since then, Iowa’s still running stretch into the boundary

Latest posts