Guess I Watched A Different Game

SomersHawk

After reading other posts I must have. I saw a hell of a good game today in Philadelphia, did anyone else watch it?

You should have seen it! The announcers and the BT crew were enjoying the piss out of it as well. The Hawks played a legit top 25 team and it was like 4 points either way the majority of the game with like 40 lead changes! Despite starting 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores and 1 junior, and still finding their way after losing their rock, JBO for the season, they nearly pulled it out. Oh and get this, they also lost starter CJF at the half!

Sure there were things in this game they could have done better, especially near the end, and they would have actually pulled out the W. You know, the stuff the happens to teams all the time in close losses. And where we really needed JBO. But wow, what a fun game for a Hawk fan to watch as their Team fought to retake the lead time and time again. I remember thinking at one point these guys really play together well and understand the game with some of the things they do compared to past teams. I really enjoy watching this team.

One last thing this game was HUGE for JT going forward. He finally got some shots to fall and his confidence and game are going to take a big step after this one. GREAT to see him can his free throws as freshman at the end of a tight road game! Good to see as JBO is sorely missed there.

The HAWKS play again Tuesday for anyone that "didn't see them play" their asses off today. I love this TEAM and this season is and will continue to be a blast! I gotta go back to a George Raveling quote when Roy, BJ, and Eddie were freshmen. "These other teams better enjoy their licks now..."

I agree and I disagree. We did some nice things but we also made some mistakes. Penn State’s best player sat out for extended minutes and they missed a lot of shots they could have made. Tons of defensive breakdowns for Iowa I thought.

At the end of the day the only verdict that matters is a W or an L and an L is what we left with. Is it panic time or even an unexpected loss? No probably not, but it was a game we could have had.

Iowa is a very high level offensive team but my concern is that there are going to be games when we don’t shoot 40%+ from 3, when those games come if we don’t button up our D and get rid of some of those silly turnovers we might end up on the wrong side of more of these.

We shall see it’s a long season. Hopefully we can get back out there Tuesday and get back in the W column.

Good post. I have not read the game thread posts and I probably won't bother because human nature dictates that vitriol must flow following any defeat, no matter what transpired. And I'm sure there are some good points; we had our chances today and struggled in transition defense, defensive rebounding and turnovers. But that said, we lost to a top 25 opponent on the road. We weren't favored to win. And, as the OP said, another one of our starters went down due to injury today.

We were still in it until the end. A LOT of past FM teams would have folded long before when the going got tough. This team hung in there very well today. All in all, there is not much to be disappointed about, IMO. We will be fine as long as we don't continue to lose players to injury.

It was a good game and The Hawks were a bit unlucky. The Penn State bench shot 18-30 or 60%. I bet they don't do that again all year. Iowa was lucky to make last second shots to win some games last year. It won't hurt them to find some good luck going forward. I'm inclined to think as hard as they work they'll find some, but today Penn State got good play from some unexpected sources.

Iowa is fine, we were better than Penn State down 3 starters. I never count on road wins. I just don’t, so imo I ain’t worried about shit. With Garza and JW, Iowa is gonna be in every game this season. Unfortunately we just have to stop having players be injured around them. Complain about the D and the turnovers and whatever you want, but let’s not act like having CJ wouldn’t have changed that. You lose a key piece and everything suffers. Iowa still almost found a way to win. I’m good with that effort. They are going to beat a lot of teams this season.

After reading other posts I must have. I saw a hell of a good game today in Philadelphia, did anyone else watch it?

You should have seen it! The announcers and the BT crew were enjoying the piss out of it as well. The Hawks played a legit top 25 team and it was like 4 points either way the majority of the game with like 40 lead changes! Despite starting 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores and 1 junior, and still finding their way after losing their rock, JBO for the season, they nearly pulled it out. Oh and get this, they also lost starter CJF at the half!

Sure there were things in this game they could have done better, especially near the end, and they would have actually pulled out the W. You know, the stuff the happens to teams all the time in close losses. And where we really needed JBO. But wow, what a fun game for a Hawk fan to watch as their Team fought to retake the lead time and time again. I remember thinking at one point these guys really play together well and understand the game with some of the things they do compared to past teams. I really enjoy watching this team.

One last thing this game was HUGE for JT going forward. He finally got some shots to fall and his confidence and game are going to take a big step after this one. GREAT to see him can his free throws as freshman at the end of a tight road game! Good to see as JBO is sorely missed there.

The HAWKS play again Tuesday for anyone that "didn't see them play" their asses off today. I love this TEAM and this season is and will continue to be a blast! I gotta go back to a George Raveling quote when Roy, BJ, and Eddie were freshmen. "These other teams better enjoy their licks now..."
JT has Attitude. Team will be tougher. Pieces fit well and will work better Asap.

It was one of the most exciting Iowa games I have seen in a long time. It was an evenly matched, competitive game which was led by Garza but unfortunately a thin bench and missed FTs cost the Hawks the win.

I didn't see any glaring issues with coaching, timeouts, play calls, defense, or offensive ball movement. It just simply came down to making the shots when it counted and they just didn't fall....

For those that are flaming the staff or players regarding this game simply have no clue what it's like to win on the road albeit at a semi-neutral floor against an evenly matched team. The ball bounces funny some times....

I know the Palestra is a storied venue, but good lord, did you see how badly the players were sweating in there? It must of have been like playing in a sauna. Players slipping. I know our injuries will be an issue this year. If any more players get banged up, we will lose more of these games.
I think our guys played very well in that game, but the heat, losing Fredrick, well I think that really took a toll on our guys. For the first time this season, Garza looked a little gassed towards the end of the game. I can’t blame him for missing half his free throws, he was giving great effort out there, and there is only so much one can do. That kinda heat just sucks the life out of you, no matter who you are. Going forward, CMac, Evelyn, and Pemsl will have to be really comtributing at a more consistent basis for the Hawks to make the big dance.

Iowa is fine, we were better than Penn State down 3 starters. I never count on road wins. I just don’t, so imo I ain’t worried about shit. With Garza and JW, Iowa is gonna be in every game this season. Unfortunately we just have to stop having players be injured around them. Complain about the D and the turnovers and whatever you want, but let’s not act like having CJ wouldn’t have changed that. You lose a key piece and everything suffers. Iowa still almost found a way to win. I’m good with that effort. They are going to beat a lot of teams this season.
I totally agree that it wasn’t an unexpected loss and Iowa is still likely in good shape.

It just stinks because Iowa shot so well and it felt like we gave away the game at the end. I don’t think we can bank on shooting 40%+ from 3 every night, and that’s why it hurts so bad to lose a game we could of had. You have to expect at least a couple stinker games along the way from Iowa (remember Rutgers at home last year?).

I still do have concerns going forward. I’m not convinced that Penn State is that strong of a team. We are averaging 19.5 turnovers in two P5 games since losing Jbo. I still think the defensive breakdowns were far too many yesterday.

There are certainly other factors there too with CJ’s injury, the climate, Cmac being under the weather, very few games recently etc.

I guess I’m still of the belief that we really don’t know what this Iowa team is without Jbo just yet. I think they can be good but it remains to be seen for me. Hope we can get back in the win column Tuesday.

There are many ways to lose or win a basketball game

A team can beat itself with turnovers and missed free throws

But the most damning aspect of winning or losing a basketball game is left to the whim of the referees

I rewatched the game last evening and as far as I could tell the zebras cost us the game with two calls that determined the outcome of the game

With 30 seconds left in the game, we were behind by 2 TWO POINTS

Despite the missed free throws and turnovers against one of the best defensive teams in college basketball, perhaps in the same category as Texas Tech and Cincinnati, we were within 2 points of tying the game

Penn State had 2 points given to them by the referees when JoeW slipped on the wet floor after a PS player had also fallen to the floor. They didn't stop play immediately but let the PS player go down the court for a virtually uncontested score

The referees also took 2 free throws away from Connor who was certainly, beyond the shadow of a doubt, mugged going to the basket. The announcers both initially said that he was fouled before caving in and saying they were OK with the call which occurred at That stage of a very close game. Connor is 80% shooting free throws

The zebras also called two Phantom Fouls on Luka down the stretch at crunch time. One gave the Lions 2 points. Luka's play was affected by the calls the remainder of the game

If those events had been called correctly the outcome more than likely would have been in the Hawks favor

These things occur in every single game played and are the unknown factors that determine close games.

Bottom line the vastly depleted Hawks were affected, quite effectively, with Freddy playing with an ankle problem that hampered him in the first half and had him sitting on the bench the entire second half. With him in the game and healthy we would have been better on perimeter D and perhaps not as fatigued playing in a tropical greenhouse,not to mention the points he would have contributed. With him in the game, JoeW and Luka attract less attention

This is a solid team and hopefully can recover and have the energy to play well at Nebraska who has had a chance to rest and practice after their loss to Rutgers at home

These Cats are Tough one of my favorite Hawkeye basketball teams ever

Oh Yeah.....

Ryan Kriener and Cordell Pemsel played Solid games and the announcers gave them worthy praise

JoeT showed his value. He had an excellent game in a very hostile environment

that_s_all_folks_space_jam_by_toon1990_dc6kiet-250t.jpg

The Iowa / Penn State game was played at NCAA tournament level effort. Even in the loss there were some positives. Sure you can find things to criticize but effort isn't one them, pretty gritty performance on the road against a pretty good ranked team. For those critical of the defense that was a physically expended team on the floor in the last 4 minutes. Losing CJF after the half and him playing injured the first half affected the energy levels at the end. Pemsl is still not 100%. His endurance after a few trips up and down the floor shows.

One positive was the play of JT. Sure he had some issues but he more than compensated for them. I'm sure his confidence went way up. Doing well against a rated team on the road as a freshman will help him and it puts pressure on the other team to guard him, no slacking off him to double someone else.

I read through some of the obvious Troll threads, but replying to a troll is a waste of digital electronics.

Latest posts