Garza w/ 9 Points In His Summer League Debut

Garza looked pretty good out there. I thought he passed up a shot or 2 in the 2nd half he coulda pulled the trigger on. But he was who he is. Just a little slimmer.

Cook at times looked like he had butter on his fingers. He mishandled multiple passes I thought he'd normally handle with no problem. But he played pretty well they started him and he played a lot.

Garza looked pretty good out there. I thought he passed up a shot or 2 in the 2nd half he coulda pulled the trigger on. But he was who he is. Just a little slimmer.

Cook at times looked like he had butter on his fingers. He mishandled multiple passes I thought he'd normally handle with no problem. But he played pretty well they started him and he played a lot.
It’s crazy how Garza was such a dominant force in the college game but he looks like an 8th grader (physically) out there with NBA guys. And that’s just summer league. Not trying to take away from Luka, but it just goes to show the gap from P6 college ball to the pros. It’s a whole different area code. He’s got to find that role as a forward rather than a center; the post-up days of Olajuwon and Shaq aren’t a thing anymore and that’s how he made his way in college. I saw a pretty good interview with Luka where he mentioned the same thing, that he couldn’t rely on manhandling guys in the post anymore because instead of being the big man on the floor he might be the smallest forward out there.

The first time I went to an NBA game (which was after a lot of Big Ten games), it absolutely blew my mind how monstrously huge those guys are. You can’t get that from watching tv.

It’s crazy how Garza was such a dominant force in the college game but he looks like an 8th grader (physically) out there with NBA guys. And that’s just summer league. Not trying to take away from Luka, but it just goes to show the gap from P6 college ball to the pros. It’s a whole different area code. He’s got to find that role as a forward rather than a center; the post-up days of Olajuwon and Shaq aren’t a thing anymore and that’s how he made his way in college. I saw a pretty good interview with Luka where he mentioned the same thing, that he couldn’t rely on manhandling guys in the post anymore because instead of being the big man on the floor he might be the smallest forward out there.

The first time I went to an NBA game (which was after a lot of Big Ten games), it absolutely blew my mind how monstrously huge those guys are. You can’t get that from watching tv.
Yeah the combination of how tall and long they are combined with their athleticism is ridiculous. Then you factor in the intangible part of the game with their minds and how they quickly react to plays out there. You're absolutely right TV does very little to put in perspective just how ridiculous those guys all are.

The worst player in the NBA can most likely have their way against most college players. Especially players that are closer to 30 then 20 because they are physically more mature. Even if Garza could post up effectively in the NBA some they just wouldn't use him that way. It's not the NBA now. He'll occasionally will but I suspect most of his touches will be off pick and pops. Maybe some high post feeds at the elbow. But mostly those and offensive rebounds. Which he got 4 of yesterday.

This is absolutely correct. It's a massive step to the NBA.

I really wonder if he would have been better served being a "big fish" overseas.

This is absolutely correct. It's a massive step to the NBA.

I really wonder if he would have been better served being a "big fish" overseas.
Money, yes.

Dream realization, no.

Luka’s old man is rich, he doesn’t need the money. He’s likely set comfortably for life no matter what

Money, yes.

Dream realization, no.

Luka’s old man is rich, he doesn’t need the money. He’s likely set comfortably for life no matter what
I think your spot on. I think while its a career the majority play for the love of the game first and money second. While the money for marginal players may be better overseas, the NBA is what these players dream of from the day they start playing. They want to prove they belong against the best of the best and they're only going to get that opportunity, in their opinion, playing in the NBA.

I haven't watched an NBA game on TV bince the '90's. But I used to fall into Bulls tickets a few times a year living in Chicago. The dudes in the NBA make the Big Ten look like a different sport. The dudes in the NBA are almost all huge, they are insanely fast, they have a 3 step burst that is ridiculous, and everyone other than the biggest bigs can hit a shot from anywhere inside of about 28 feet. They are just ridiculous. TV does not do justice to the speed and size differentials between the NBA and the college game.

Hockey is another sport that does not get properly televised. TV does it no justice. I can't watch it on TV, but in person it is pretty awesome.

I bought a 3D TV over 10 years ago. ESPN used to have a 3D channel and they'd show games in 3D where most of the content was filmed from a camera at the center line of the playing venue. Very few cuts from that view except on replays. It was very mechanical, pan right, zoom in slightly, leave camera, zoom out, pan camera to the left, zoom in slightly. It never caught on but it was a far superior viewing experience for the games and it was almost like being in the arena with a seat right in the middle. It sucks that didn't take off, but I guess most people didn't want to wear 3D goggles while watching sports. Ultimately, the limitations of traditional broadcasting where so much of the camera focus is on the ball or puck really makes the broadcasts lackluster.

That video shows what Garza will be, a garbage man. He will clean up loose balls and put them in. The ball will find him a lot and he will finish.

He has a career in the NBA as a 10 minute a night guy averaging about 6 points a game.

That video shows what Garza will be, a garbage man. He will clean up loose balls and put them in. The ball will find him a lot and he will finish.

He has a career in the NBA as a 10 minute a night guy averaging about 6 points a game.
I'd be alright with that if it was me.

I've been hearing a lot from Pistons fans online that they want him to be Bill Laimbeer 2.0. Only problem is Luka's not a big enough asshole.

Quite possibly and if he plays 10-15 maybe more years then he'll have made some generational wealth... NBA is nuts and only getting nuttier with how much they pay.

I'd be alright with that if it was me.

I've been hearing a lot from Pistons fans online that they want him to be Bill Laimbeer 2.0. Only problem is Luka's not a big enough asshole.
Oh yeah no he's not that.... He played trying to not foul at Iowa so he could stay on the floor. Laimbeer was... well we all know what he was and Luka isn't capable of drastically changing his demeaner to that extent... Nope nope nope

I haven't watched an NBA game on TV bince the '90's. But I used to fall into Bulls tickets a few times a year living in Chicago. The dudes in the NBA make the Big Ten look like a different sport. The dudes in the NBA are almost all huge, they are insanely fast, they have a 3 step burst that is ridiculous, and everyone other than the biggest bigs can hit a shot from anywhere inside of about 28 feet. They are just ridiculous. TV does not do justice to the speed and size differentials between the NBA and the college game.

Hockey is another sport that does not get properly televised. TV does it no justice. I can't watch it on TV, but in person it is pretty awesome.

I bought a 3D TV over 10 years ago. ESPN used to have a 3D channel and they'd show games in 3D where most of the content was filmed from a camera at the center line of the playing venue. Very few cuts from that view except on replays. It was very mechanical, pan right, zoom in slightly, leave camera, zoom out, pan camera to the left, zoom in slightly. It never caught on but it was a far superior viewing experience for the games and it was almost like being in the arena with a seat right in the middle. It sucks that didn't take off, but I guess most people didn't want to wear 3D goggles while watching sports. Ultimately, the limitations of traditional broadcasting where so much of the camera focus is on the ball or puck really makes the broadcasts lackluster.
I'd argue playoff NHL hockey is as great of a live sport environment as their is... Been to games in Nashville and St Louis both years ago and each one was insane. Nashville I went like 3 yrs ago and holy crap if I lived closer then I do I'd probably go more often. It's so intense and fun in person. I'm the same as you watching it on TV doesn't do it for me as a novice fan it just doesn't.

I'd argue playoff NHL hockey is as great of a live sport environment as their is... Been to games in Nashville and St Louis both years ago and each one was insane. Nashville I went like 3 yrs ago and holy crap if I lived closer then I do I'd probably go more often. It's so intense and fun in person. I'm the same as you watching it on TV doesn't do it for me as a novice fan it just doesn't.
Never been to an NHL game but I've been to several lower tier league games and it's a blast. My issue is that (to me) hockey is unwatchable on TV. I can't follow the puck.

I know everyone hated the little "comet tail" graphic they tried on screen during the 90s, but to be honest I could actually tell where the puck was.

Never been to an NHL game but I've been to several lower tier league games and it's a blast. My issue is that (to me) hockey is unwatchable on TV. I can't follow the puck.

I know everyone hated the little "comet tail" graphic they tried on screen during the 90s, but to be honest I could actually tell where the puck was.
Yeah those Sioux City Muskateer games were fun back in the day when I was a kid are they still a thing? I went to some Des Moines Buc games too as an adult it's such a good time in person.

The St Louis game I went to we had nosebleed seats but it was for a bachelor party so of course that was fun no matter what. I wish I liked the sport more frankly. I just don't have the time to keep up with all that I want to as it is let alone more..

Yeah, watching hockey on TV is hard work. And there's a problem with most live sports (other than maybe tennis, golf or volleyball) which is that on about 80% of plays, the play is successful or not based on something away from the ball, but unfortunately a huge proportion of the camera time is dedicated to the ball. You might see the QB drop back but you don't see the phenomenal block by the left guard who picked up a blitz and left a linebacker on his ass two feet past the line of scrimmage. You don't see the WR put the second move on the DB before the pass. You don't see the guy set a great screen to get a guy wide open for a jumper. You don't see the wing make a sick break to deflect a pass into the goal. I mean, you might eventually see the replay, but not seeing that stuff while the play is in progress sucks. I love going to Iowa games and watching the line play and the routes. It's a lot easier to see when a QB is good when you are there because you get a better feel for where pressure is coming from, where lanes are and when guys are open. You just can't really gauge that shit on TV unless it is just a piss poor line play game (like Iowa-Wisconsin 2017) and the QB is toast before he gets his feet set.