Fun Season Ahead!

SomersHawk

How quickly the outlook has changed! So many positives emerged from the last 2 games. In no particular order:

1. CJF is the real deal! Fearless and clutch. Going to step into JBO's shoes nicely.
2. JT is the point guard we have been craving! Tough as nails! We are going to love him and other teams are going to hate him.
3. Garza is a fricken warrior! Has gotten much quicker.
4. JBO is pretty well back to his old self (just not ready for a quick turnaround). Please play this year.
5. Evelyn is going to contribute after all. Looking better and better.
6. Pensl is making progress after year off and will be huge in a lot of games.
7. I (still) like Kreiner.
8. JW doesn't have to carry the load and that is a good thing.
9. Love the fight this TEAM brings to the court!
10. Connor is good.

I was really impressed with how they played this weekend. Defensively, they are much improved. It took a monster game from a really good offensive player to bring SDSU back. He hit three or four threes you just can't defend.

Both Texas Tech and SDSU are very athletic teams. I thought Texas Tech took alot out of us...and it showed in the second half last night. The other thing is that the real Joe Weiskamp hasn't played yet. I'm not sure what's going on with him...but he's going to get better and more consistent. I guess he was sick this weekend...so he'll get it going...he's too good to not be a huge part of the offense.

Toussaint is exactly what this team needed. His offense is a plus (makes free throws), but it's his toughness and defense that is the difference. I have to hand it to Fran...he's given Toussaint the freedom to penetrate and make plays...within the offense. This is going to continue to grow throughout the year and is a piece that was missing.

We know about Garza (much, much improved) and JBO...but CJF is a gamer. He's got a stroke like Bohannon too...but he's really good defensively and plays physical. Seriously, when Wieskamp gets going, Bohannon gets going, CJ gets going...you have three shooters that can make 5 or 6 in a row from deep.

This is going to be a fun team to watch.

I was really impressed with how they played this weekend. Defensively, they are much improved. It took a monster game from a really good offensive player to bring SDSU back. He hit three or four threes you just can't defend.

Both Texas Tech and SDSU are very athletic teams. I thought Texas Tech took alot out of us...and it showed in the second half last night. The other thing is that the real Joe Weiskamp hasn't played yet. I'm not sure what's going on with him...but he's going to get better and more consistent. I guess he was sick this weekend...so he'll get it going...he's too good to not be a huge part of the offense.

Toussaint is exactly what this team needed. His offense is a plus (makes free throws), but it's his toughness and defense that is the difference. I have to hand it to Fran...he's given Toussaint the freedom to penetrate and make plays...within the offense. This is going to continue to grow throughout the year and is a piece that was missing.

We know about Garza (much, much improved) and JBO...but CJF is a gamer. He's got a stroke like Bohannon too...but he's really good defensively and plays physical. Seriously, when Wieskamp gets going, Bohannon gets going, CJ gets going...you have three shooters that can make 5 or 6 in a row from deep.

This is going to be a fun team to watch.
Sophomores have a long history of not repeating their freshman success under Fran.

I hope Joe is an exception to that trend.

I wanna see more JoeT and Bakari in the game with Fredrick and Kriener. They were energetic, tough and really fun to watch. Wish Fran would have kept them in until the first half was over

That JoeT is a dynamo and makes those around him better. His energy is infectious

We are going to be alright. Still have a chance of finishing in the middle of the B1G, which would be good

Oh yeah, the aztecs owned the paint under our basket. They spent 10 seconds there one time in the second half, did it over and over one stretch. Wondered why Fran didn't mention this to the refs

Perhaps he didn't notice or didn't think it would make any difference at all with that crew

I wanna see more JoeT and Bakari in the game with Fredrick and Kriener. They were energetic, tough and really fun to watch. Wish Fran would have kept them in until the first half was over

That JoeT is a dynamo and makes those around him better. His energy is infectious

We are going to be alright. Still have a chance of finishing in the middle of the B1G, which would be good

Oh yeah, the aztecs owned the paint under our basket. They spent 10 seconds there one time in the second half, did it over and over one stretch. Wondered why Fran didn't mention this to the refs

Perhaps he didn't notice or didn't think it would make any difference at all with that crew

Evelyn is not a big ten caliber player.

I really do like this team. I feel bad for Nunge getting hurt, but in a way it’s forced Fran’s hand to play the small ball lineup. We have three very high level shooters and an elite post player, that’s a recipe for offensive success.

We made a big run in the 1H last night with pretty much our entire bench on the floor, so our depth I think is decent.

The bottom line though is the Bohannon situation. If he does shut it down here shortly I just don’t think we have enough pieces this year.

I really do like this team. I feel bad for Nunge getting hurt, but in a way it’s forced Fran’s hand to play the small ball lineup. We have three very high level shooters and an elite post player, that’s a recipe for offensive success.

We made a big run in the 1H last night with pretty much our entire bench on the floor, so our depth I think is decent.

The bottom line though is the Bohannon situation. If he does shut it down here shortly I just don’t think we have enough pieces this year.

I had a feeling he would be a bit subpar last night after the brutal TT game especially the slam to the knee

He might be able to play this season if he can sit out an occasional game

He was rested and ready to go for the Red Raiders game. With his highly competitive nature it must be like pullling teeth to sit on the bench

Our upside is much better with a healthy Bo on the floor. JR Fredrick is going to be very good. Would be a nightmare for the opponents with a healthy JBo, JoeW, and JR on the floor.

Bombs Away

One thing to think about is it’s very possible that Wieskamp has another level than he’s shown so far. He hasn’t been bad, he just hasn’t been as good as we thought he could be. If he does start to play like an all conference player and Garza keeps it up that’s quite the 1-2 punch.

One thing to think about is it’s very possible that Wieskamp has another level than he’s shown so far. He hasn’t been bad, he just hasn’t been as good as we thought he could be. If he does start to play like an all conference player and Garza keeps it up that’s quite the 1-2 punch.

I was watching the LV games with friends and one said that JoeW had some kind of stomach virus and couldn't keep any food down the day before the first game. Could explain why he didn't play well in that tournament.

I was watching the LV games with friends and one said that JoeW had some kind of stomach virus and couldn't keep any food down the day before the first game. Could explain why he didn't play well in that tournament.
He’s had some injuries early too and yes he was reportedly sick. If he picks it up and CJF continues his current play they are going to make a nice combo.

Fun is a good way to put it, we're going to lose some painful ones but we're also going to get some sweet Ws.

Based on votes received in the AP poll, San Diego State is 28, Texas Tech is 31, and Depaul is 34.

Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State are all currently in the top 11 in the country. So there are going to be opportunities for some quality wins.

Connor too. Dude looks like he's been in a fight before the game even starts.
Yeah, I was thinking Connor, but then I thought, Pemsl, then Kreiner, then JBo, then... list goes on and I didn't want to list em all! Almost all play with an edge and attitude, except maybe Weisy, but he just doesn't play with a lot of emotion

Wieskamp was really good in the exhibition and the first game until he hurt his elbow. After that his shot has been off but he still gets after it on defense and the boards. He said his elbow is good now and he shot better against TT. I'm guessing as long as he stays health, he will be way better than we've seen so far. That's good news for the team.

Latest posts