Fran McCaffery's Keegan Murray Analysis Spot on So Far

He's the opposite of KF. KF can talk for 30 minutes and blather nothing but meaningless platitudes, tropes and coach speak. Fran is never shy and tells you what he is thinking in a smart, cogent way. I guess that is the difference between Philly and Pittsburg for you!

He's the opposite of KF. KF can talk for 30 minutes and blather nothing but meaningless platitudes, tropes and coach speak. Fran is never shy and tells you what he is thinking in a smart, cogent way. I guess that is the difference between Philly and Pittsburg for you!
In fairness to KF it's situational/circumstantial with him. Obviously with what I think you're referring to and correct me if I'm wrong but guessing is you're meaning KF with most of the media in general. And I agree under most conditions he is exactly that. But there's been times when he isn't and he let's his hair down. He's honestly not a robot in that way. He's just calculated and cherry picks his spots.

Fran he don't give a F at this point. And what's awesome is the dude is right most of the dang time. When has he made such a declarative statement like he has in regards to Keegan and been wrong? I mean he hypes up his guys with hyperbole some. But what he was saying in regards to Keegan was dead on the whole time.

Fran’s brother Jack is a longtime sportswriter for the Philadelphia Inquirer. I'm sure the two have had many conversations about how a coach should handle the media, what types of questions to expect.

Ask Fran a yes or no question and you will probably get a one word answer. But ask one that will probe his depth of the subject and you will get thoughtful, entertaining, even humorous answers time after time.

Look at how similar his college #s are to the Summer League:

23.5 PPG 8.7 RPG - College
23.3 PPG 7.5 RPG - Summer League

I would say Summer League is a decent step up from college too.
Kris has answered every challenge, taken steady steps forward every year. This is his biggest challenge yet, and so far he has positioned himself well to conquer it.

Look at how similar his college #s are to the Summer League:

23.5 PPG 8.7 RPG - College
23.3 PPG 7.5 RPG - Summer League

I would say Summer League is a decent step up from college too.

70-75% of the guys playing in the Summer League will not be on a NBA roster by the start of the regular season. Summer League games are equivalent to high level college games. It is not taking away from what Keegan is doing because he is crushing it, but this isn't NBA regular season basketball and it is certainly not NBA playoff basketball.

70-75% of the guys playing in the Summer League will not be on a NBA roster by the start of the regular season. Summer League games are equivalent to high level college games. It is not taking away from what Keegan is doing because he is crushing it, but this isn't NBA regular season basketball and it is certainly not NBA playoff basketball.
It’s not super high level, but Keegan destroyed Ivey, Holmgren, and Smith who were the four best players in the draft, and he put 29 points on Holmgren head to head.

Hate to burst your bubble but Murray is gonna be in the midst of the ROY campaign next season. This isn’t Garza, Cook, or Wieskamp we’re dealing with, here. God bless those guys, but they aren’t even in the same solar system as Keegan Murray. He’s a true generational talent in the context of Iowa basketball.

Fran’s brother Jack is a longtime sportswriter for the Philadelphia Inquirer. I'm sure the two have had many conversations about how a coach should handle the media, what types of questions to expect.

Ask Fran a yes or no question and you will probably get a one word answer. But ask one that will probe his depth of the subject and you will get thoughtful, entertaining, even humorous answers time after time.
The podcast that CM and PM do is pretty cool and I think the one that they did with Fran they spoke about Jack some. I bet you're dead on with how over the years Fran just knows how to do what he does. He's not a young coach by any means and has been at this for years now. They seem pretty close (I'm guessing they named his youngest son after him. Or maybe they just like the name I dunno)

Fran knows who all the media guys are of relevance be it national and local. Who he can have more candid conversations with and who he shouldn't. I'm sure he has favorites or at least a couple he prefers to work with.

It’s not super high level, but Keegan destroyed Ivey, Holmgren, and Smith who were the four best players in the draft, and he put 29 points on Holmgren head to head.

Hate to burst your bubble but Murray is gonna be in the midst of the ROY campaign next season. This isn’t Garza, Cook, or Wieskamp we’re dealing with, here. God bless those guys, but they aren’t even in the same solar system as Keegan Murray. He’s a true generational talent in the context of Iowa basketball.
I got to watch the game against Holmgren and that was as one sided a matchup as you'll see. Keegan went at him like it was job and Holmgren as good of a defender as he supposedly is couldn't do shit about it. Keegan scored off the dribble pull ups outside and took him to the hole. Not to mention got to the FT line which will really benefit him going forward. But even more impressive to me was Keegan Dd up on him. Chet only scored like 8 pts against him and they were guarding each other most of the time they were out there.

I kinda think Sacramento may not be as bad of a fit for Keegan as I'd originally thought. I really didn't want him to end up there and it's way too early to tell either way but I'm already softening on that. My reason why is 2 fold. Mainly because of Keegan. I think he'll be a face of the franchise worthy player and leader who is similar to Tim Duncan stylish wise and that'll only be a positive. Secondly they have Mike Brown as HC and he's legit and the real deal. They've had some total douches lately with that Walton being one of them. But Brown knows what he's doing and I'm not predicting they give GS a run for their $ or anything but I don't think they'll be pushovers either.

Yea, but the dude was named the MVP of the NBA Summer League. He showed his overall game. Better than being ranked the 5th best in the summer league.

People are always so protective of stating positives or accomplishments. It's safer to mentally prepare for the worst scenario than the best and be disappointed. It's a psychology thing.

Keegan rocked it in the Summer League and has a very good chance to be a solid NBA player for many years. He did ALL he could do in that league to prove himself. I'll take it.

Last edited:

Exactly!!

After watching some of the summer league play, I can completely understand why the NBA teams shied away from Garza, and this is nooooo knock on Garza. He's one of the hardest workers I've seen and he has a great game. But, the game just isn't designed for big centers anymore, it just isn't.

I see why teams shy away from them. The spacing of the floor on offense now is just ridiculous. There is so much open space in the middle. Any big guy will have trouble chasing players or closing out on players. It's just what it is. They are a defensive liability and their bodies aren't a good fit on the offensive end, especially if they lack a decent outside shot. Having a 6' 10" or taller player now is like trying to stuff a square thru a round hole on offense. It ain't the 1980's where they run a 3 out 2 in offense with two big guys on post. They spread it out and open up the middle. It is completely opposite.

Exactly!!

After watching some of the summer league play, I can completely understand why the NBA teams shied away from Garza, and this is nooooo knock on Garza. He's one of the hardest workers I've seen and he has a great game. But, the game just isn't designed for big centers anymore, it just isn't.

I see why teams shy away from them. The spacing of the floor on offense now is just ridiculous. There is so much open space in the middle. Any big guy will have trouble chasing players or closing out on players. It's just what it is. They are a defensive liability and their bodies aren't a good fit on the offensive end, especially if they lack a decent outside shot. Having a 6' 10" or taller player now is like trying to stuff a square thru a round hole on offense. It ain't the 1980's where they run a 3 out 2 in offense with two big guys on post. They spread it out and open up the middle. It is completely opposite.
Yeah his ability to shoot outside is pretty much the only thing holding him onto having a chance as a 12th man on a roster. I think he can score and be a problem on O but he just can't get up and down the floor at the NBA pace or guard pick and rolls in the half court. For spurts at a time he can be effective but the more mins he gets I think there's a diminishing returns factor with him too...

I bet he'd be more successful on the court in Europe not to mention make more $. But his dream is to be in the NBA and kudos to him for giving it his all. We'll all be curious to see where he goes next season. I doubt it's Portland so we'll see.

There is no bubble to burst. I never questioned his ability to play in the league or play a long time. The only thing I questioned was where his ceiling was at. And we will not truly know until he is playing in real games, against real dudes.

If Harrison Barnes is the baseline comp the only thing Summer League has shown us is that the ceiling is potentially higher than that.

There is no bubble to burst. I never questioned his ability to play in the league or play a long time. The only thing I questioned was where his ceiling was at. And we will not truly know until he is playing in real games, against real dudes.

If Harrison Barnes is the baseline comp the only thing Summer League has shown us is that the ceiling is potentially higher than that.

Isn't this ceiling talk just a big talking point for the media heads to sound smart.

What's the difference if you get a player now at his ceiling that might slowing decline over years in the league, vs a player who is not at his ceiling but slowly ascends over years in the league.

and

What if the two ceilings for said players are comparable but just at different times?

Latest posts